What would you build with $4k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeaaron33

What sorta desktop system would ya build for about $4000 budget?
me...
case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid tower
cpu: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHz 12mb cache
mboard: Asus Maximus Extreme X38 FSB1600MHz DDR3 SATAII RAID
ram: Super Talent Extreme Performance PC14900 DDR3-1800 2gb 1866mhz bus
v-card: GeForce 8800 Ultra 768mb 384bit DDR3
hd: 2 Western Digital Raptor X SATA 150gb Raid 10,000 rpm 16mb buffer
monitor: Eizo Flexscan S2411W 24.1inch 6ms DVI 3000:1 contrast ratio LCD
Nine20Hundred-_7.jpg

No chance in hell I'd spend the cash on an Intel "Extreme" CPU, and I wouldn't spend $4k on a PC, even if I had it to toss away. I'd probably spend $1.5k-2k tops on a PC. You can set yourself up with a really solid high end PC (from scratch) and bank the $2-2.5k for the next one in a few years ;).

Haha, isn't it fun to dream. :zzz:

For an all out gaming rig yeah the specs are pretty much bang on. Why not change the graphics card to the new GeForce 9800 GX2 1024MB :approve:

I don't see the point of this thread. Are you going to build one? Or are you just looking for appreciation for listing all those high-end parts? If you're just looking for opinions, this thread should be locked. $4000 is more than enough for a high-end gaming system, so there's no point of debating further.

just wondering what people would build, if they'd build anything different. I've been out of the pc building since 2000, so not really sure if I'm picking the right setup for that kinda money. I'm not sure if I wanna build it yet, it's actually only $2,700 without that super fancy monitor. I'd be orderin the parts from www.pricewatch.com

mikeaaron33 said:
I'd be orderin the parts from www.pricewatch.com
That's probably a mistake. I've frequently seen somewhat shady sites as the lowest price for hardware there. On top of dealing with potentially shady companies you will likely end up ordering from several different places, increasing total shipping costs and complicating the process for yourself.

I'd recommend buying from a place like tigerdirect (as long as there are no rebates involved, or ones you don't care if you don't get), zipzoomfly, or newegg. Newegg will probably give you the lowest total price, and their customer service is top notch.

Grand Total = $2802.35 including shipping and rebates, which leaves you enough for an OS, a DVD burner and a suitable monitor. A fantastic PC that will rip through any app or game. You could have two of each of the HDDs in RAID for even faster performance but remember to keep the OS on the faster drives for a quick boot time. Also, I reckon 2GB is quite enough for you but you could get a 4GB kit if you want to, or get two 2GB kits as well. It's entirely upto you.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Also toss in a GIGABYTE RAMDISK with 4gb of Ram and battery back up for instantenous boot! Make that the boot drive and run apps from SATA/IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back