Where to download linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

etones

where can i get a copy of linux, i will also need assistance installing it. i want to install it on a external FAT32 hard drive 101GB available, i want to keep all my files on the hard drive also. i have windows xp install on the internal hard drive and i want to use that.

LinuxISO is the place that I usually recommend to people. We will be able to help you with your specific questions once you tell us which version of Linux you have downloaded. :)

You absolutely have to download and burn the first two Mandrake discs. Using the third CD isn't really a necessity.

If they are the 3 Mandriva-Linux-2005LE iso's, for £10.- I'll burn you the CDs and mail them to you from Dublin. PM me if you are interested.

Hello.. i have installed Linux enter.Version AS 3 and configured SAMBA server , i am able to see the linux system from my other windows98 system , how can i see windows 98 systems from my linux system , there is no network neighborhood icon , please give me solution anybody ....
thanks ,
JNRao.

try using mount!..

from your windows 98 box, share the folder you want to access from your linux box

then follow the step..( linux)
1.) first create a temp mnt folder. e.g. '/mnt/win98'
2.) mount -t [file system type] -o username=[user name] password=[password],workgroup=[workgroup],uid=500,gid=500 '//[ip address of the win98 box]/[shared folder name]' /mnt/win98

The file system type is either cifs or smbfs if we are talking about Windows shares. Smbfs for sure if we are using Win98.

The correct mount command would be "mount -t smbfs -o username=[windows user name],password=[windows password],workgroup=[windows workgroup],uid=[linux user],gid=[linux group] '//[ip address of the win98 box]/[shared folder name]' /mnt/win98"

Uid and gid tell the user and group the mounted share belongs to. You need to specify these if you wish to have access to the mounted stuff as a mortal user. We cannot really assume 500 here, since users/groups may be different on different systems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back