Who also plays guitar as a hobby?

Nick Lee

I figured I would just see who other than myself plays guitar and if so which type of music do you play. As of right now (I'm not that good) I play a little heavy metal like Iron Man by Black Sabbath or Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple.

I also try to play simple other tunes like sweet dreams by Marilyn Manson (cover)

I play some weird Tokai (off brand) which is like a Strat. I use an Ibanez Bass compressor and an First Act 10watt amp.

I play too!

Hey!

I play as well! I like to play most anything that's fun or crowd-pleasing. Most of my playing efforts are for playing in kitchen parties or around camp fires. Lots of acoustic stuff like Great Big Sea, and Jack Johnson lately. I also poke around YouTube now and then to see what other fun stuff there is to learn. There's a dude on there who goes by okSamurai who plays silly acoustic covers of chick tunes like Straight up by Paula Abdul. Those ones often get a laugh out of a crowd when I play them! :)

I have a couple of Yamaha acoustics. One's a FG-410 and the other is an FX-310C, I think. They’re not right beside me right now. :) I've always thought about plugging in but never got too far with it.

I've also always wanted an acoustic bass and I think my next instrument with be a Mandola or Octave Mandolin.

Thats really cool I bet hanging' out with some friends around a fire and playing woulf be really fun to do. :cool:

Sure is man! It's the reason I got into playing in the first place. :)

You ever visit wholenote.com? It's a cool place with piles of info, lessons tpis and stuff like that. Great place if you're looking to get better and don;t know where to start!

I play StepMania once in a blue moon which is almost semi-comparable to Guitar Hero which has the word Guitar in it :O!

Zenosincks said:
I play StepMania once in a blue moon which is almost semi-comparable to Guitar Hero which has the word Guitar in it :O!
I like how you want to fit in. :haha: lol...

If you play any type of guitar with strings then you are a high ranking member, if not but something close you are also in but a low ranking member.

Even if you played in the past, that counts too.

Good to know the air guitar fits in there somewhere :)

So far, I can play a D chord. :eek:

Chimaera said:
That's a good start! I suggest you try for a G chord next! After that, learn C and you have the basis of hundreds of tunes!

I don't know any chords like D,G or C. I just find tabs and go with it. I probably should try and learn them though.

Nick Lee said:
I don't know any chords like D,G or C. I just find tabs and go with it. I probably should try and learn them though.
For sure dude!

Learn the chords, then give Smoke on The Water another try. You'll find it sounds really cool! Plus, the chords for a tune like that are power chords, so they're suer easy to land!

Im learning but I guess at this point you can't really call it "playing" so much as "playing with"

VES said:
Im learning but I guess at this point you can't really call it "playing" so much as "playing with"

I agree with you

Chimaera said:
For sure dude!

Learn the chords, then give Smoke on The Water another try. You'll find it sounds really cool! Plus, the chords for a tune like that are power chords, so they're suer easy to land!

And I cheat on the chords with smoke on the water as I play it like this (Standard tunning)
---------------------------------------------------------
-0---3---5-----0--3---6-5-------0--3--5----3----0
-0---3---5-----0--3---6-5-------0--3--5----3----0
--------------------------------------------------------

Ive been playing now 10 years :p. Im playing currently a PRS santana model number 2 new for christmas, Vintage V100 les paul type copy, Fender strat first ever guitar :p and it still works like a horse, a hofner acoustic cant remember the model an ovation cant rember that either and a classical guitar my brother made out of slabs of re cycled yogurt pots really good take a look
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...r&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB228GB229&sa=N

I only play through a peavey 15 watt amp its actualy really loud rage 150 i think.

I then use with that Behringer Acoustic modeler, Overdrive, Distortion, Chorus, Reverb, Blues distortion, Distortion overdrive, digital delay and also their noise reducer to take out the background crap and also thier wah pedal (but not al at once o hasten to add :p).

Finally i have always used Didario guage 10 nickel wound strings because they play and last and clean everything with dunlop guitar care system becasue a clean dirty guitar just wount work for me o ad Gibson extra large triangle picks HEAVY!!!

I play with that Santana mostly with some joe Satriani other rock metal country and especially blues

Just thought you might like to know :D

Also i would say that unless you learn chords you wont find later you have the melodic awareness to use with your scales to improvise on top and so you may find you will walk yourself into a rut which i have been in were you will feel really bored and as if everything souns the same. Also learn the notes on the fret board as it will help to take you places you wouldnt think will work. Overall learn the main way of playing the Pentotonic scale. ice and easy and great for building up speed and get your self a copy of Power tab free or guitar pro (exensive unless you look on ebay at the right time £4 lol) as thay will teach you all the parts of a song.

Hope that helps people

I've been playing guitar for around 20 years or so now. I currently have 9 guitars, 3 of which are USA Kramer's from the 80's, several rack effects, heads and 4x12 cabinets etc.

Nick, Tokai is NOT a off brand! Some of the vintage stuff are collector's items these days. Hell Stevie Ray Vaughn even had a few Tokai strats!

And....you are running your 6 string through a bass compressor?!? lol

rev_olie said:
Ive been playing now 10 years :p. Im playing currently a PRS santana model number 2 new for christmas, Vintage V100 les paul type copy, Fender strat first ever guitar :p and it still works like a horse, a hofner acoustic cant remember the model an ovation cant rember that either and a classical guitar my brother made out of slabs of re cycled yogurt pots really good take a look
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...r&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB228GB229&sa=N

I only play through a peavey 15 watt amp its actualy really loud rage 150 i think.

I then use with that Behringer Acoustic modeler, Overdrive, Distortion, Chorus, Reverb, Blues distortion, Distortion overdrive, digital delay and also their noise reducer to take out the background crap and also thier wah pedal (but not al at once o hasten to add :p).

Finally i have always used Didario guage 10 nickel wound strings because they play and last and clean everything with dunlop guitar care system becasue a clean dirty guitar just wount work for me o ad Gibson extra large triangle picks HEAVY!!!

I play with that Santana mostly with some joe Satriani other rock metal country and especially blues

Just thought you might like to know :D

Also i would say that unless you learn chords you wont find later you have the melodic awareness to use with your scales to improvise on top and so you may find you will walk yourself into a rut which i have been in were you will feel really bored and as if everything souns the same. Also learn the notes on the fret board as it will help to take you places you wouldnt think will work. Overall learn the main way of playing the Pentotonic scale. ice and easy and great for building up speed and get your self a copy of Power tab free or guitar pro (exensive unless you look on ebay at the right time £4 lol) as thay will teach you all the parts of a song.

Hope that helps people

I use both power tab and guitar pro 5 they help a lot.

I've been playing guitar for around 20 years or so now. I currently have 9 guitars, 3 of which are USA Kramer's from the 80's, several rack effects, heads and 4x12 cabinets etc.

Nick, Tokai is NOT a off brand! Some of the vintage stuff are collector's items these days. Hell Stevie Ray Vaughn even had a few Tokai strats!

Thanks for the info. I never thought it was an off brand as it is what my uncle said it was (he is an *****) as this guitar was my grandfathers and he played in a country band and had a TV show in CT.
As for the bass compressor haha... I like the way it sounds...

halo71 said:

And again your definitely right. It IS a good brand.
http://www.jpstingrayguitars.com/JAPAN VINTAGE.html
Mine looks exactly like the Tokai Goldstar Sound Vintage 1984 Made In Japan (4th one down) and...84 or 85 it what it seems but I can't seem to find a perfect match ..

You got a really nice guitar there! Definetly a keeper with it being that old and passed down to you. I think if it were mine, I'd route the tremelo cavity out and install a Floyd Rose.

if you wanted a challenge go ahead and install a floyd rose but i wouldnt advise it untill you have a few years of experience because of some of the delicate parts it may get tricky at some point but yer if you wanted a go go for it

halo71 said:
You got a really nice guitar there! Definetly a keeper with it being that old and passed down to you. I think if it were mine, I'd route the tremelo cavity out and install a Floyd Rose.

rev_olie said:
if you wanted a challenge go ahead and install a floyd rose but i wouldnt advise it untill you have a few years of experience because of some of the delicate parts it may get tricky at some point but yer if you wanted a go go for it

Those are some great ideas that I would love to try but i'm really inexperienced. I was thinking of keeping as it is because it was my grandfathers and I was going to buy me a new guitar. the only thing I done to this guitar was removed one spring and added 3 new ones (total of 5) so that it wouldn't get knocked out of tune as easy (I heard this would help, and so I did) because it gets knocked out of tune easily. I thought I could replace the tunning pegs to help because they wiggle a little and I just haven't changed them yet.

As for the guitar I want... I want an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige $800 and if I wanted it to sound like the Steve Vai's JEM7V ($3,000) (white with the rose on the neck) I would replace the pickups and it should have similar sound...but I don't care about that. I just want the Ibanez.

As for my amp I am using a 10watt First Act $60 amp.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j24/Ichigo1174/Guitar/

Here are all the pics you need of my guitar to see it.
As it is dirty and needs to be cleaned but i don't know exactly what to use because I don't want something cheap to use to clean it... I don't want to mess it up, and there is quite a bit of rust on the bridge ...but it works good. also do any of you know how to help remove the rust, I have a dremel tool with some polishing bits and so on if that would work....

EDIT: I'm also thinking of getting this amp with that guitar I hope it would get the sound I want...
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

the reviews look promising
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/line_6/spider_iii_75/index.html

all this I would try and get from my summer job.

Nick Lee said:
I want an Ibanez RG1570 Prestige $800 .

yer ibanezes are very nice guitars real workhorses nice sound to

Also the amp. I dont know wether it would really give you that Stevie Via sound. Im not sure whether it would give you enought edge and maybe something more rounded. Have you tried looking at randal? something like that

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/

As for cleaning you should get in my opinion

http://www.pianocoversonline.co.uk/gibsonluthierschoiceguitarcareset-p-2930.html
Thats mainley for everythibng on the guitar but alos

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/fast-fret-p-446.html
thats great for strings on the go

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/kyser-....html?osCsid=e12ff377c99bc1073916ec878dfe0c94
You really do need lemon oil to finish of the frets after cleaning and the body also a cloth to do it as dusters will break up

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/planet....html?osCsid=e12ff377c99bc1073916ec878dfe0c94

Hope that helps you a bit as good quality stuf can add up to 10 years to your guitar life

Nick, another thing you could do is block that trem. That would keep it from going out of tune so easily. You want the trem to be setting level with the body really.

Back