Win 7 64-Bit Pro - Shares on XP and Vista on LAN Routinely Vanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

Is there some way to clear or force a Win 7 or Vista network to consistently see what share are available from other machines, some XP, some XP 64, some Vista?

It's like the network shows whatever it wants whenever it feels like it. There was a trick in XP that involved deleting shares, and clearing out LanManServer that always worked. My LAN is not exposed to the internet, and I am the only one who accesses it for my work, so I don't need security protocols enabled, nor do I want them. I just want my fileserver shares to consistently appear at my workstations.

The XP machines (usually the origins of the shares) have little, if any problems seeing the Vista or Win 7 machines.

It's the Win 7 and Vista 32-bits that have the most problems, though they will map network shares as drives without issue, but that's not really what I want.

Thanks for any help.

Invoke the IPV6 on the XP so that the shares will show-up in Vista and 7. That's the only way it will work. Make sure the NIC for the XP has IPV6 listed with IPV4. I ran into this issue myself.

I tried that, and it made no difference. These non-IPV6 shares had shown up or not shown up depending on some whim of Vista or Win 7 OS's in the past.

Today, for example, my Vista client can "see" all of my old XP non-IPV6 server's shares just fine. Why today and not yesterday? That's what I'm not getting. It's seemingly random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back