Win 7 frequent (not responding) messages on all applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegisrose

Greetings TechSpot Friends!

Just today, my PC started doing this weird "not responding" thing on most of my applications. Skype and ventrilo freeze at log in, world of warcraft will freeze at log out, and my web browsers (firefox & chrome) do it occasionally too.

I do not think I have a virus / malware... This happened once before, and I scoured my machine thinking I had contracted something, but it was a false alarm. The problem went away on its own! ::shrug:: Now it's happening again. I'm thinking it has to do with the operating system.

Any thoughts? Any logs I can provide to review performance or see what's hogging up resources and causing the unresponsiveness?

"I do not think I have a virus / malware.."

Why don't you think that you don't have a virus or other malware infection?

Hi Tmagic!
I ran all my usual scans (avira, malwarebytes). No hits... I also didn't see anything unusual from hijack this.

Also, the problem isn't happening now! Like it did before, it just stopped happening. I haven't done anything different... The PC went to sleep last night, and this morning, no apps were "not responding".

Weird...

Done deal~
The first run cleaned about 500 mb's, then I ran again until it's down to cleaning 123 kb's (two little cache files).

Okay aegisrose,
that should help your computer a bit, and it might speed it up too. I don't guarantee that the "not responding" will never happen again though. Good Luck!

What does the event log shows? You could have faulty part starting to go on you. NIC, PSU, RAM, Video. The system will display these messages tell you something is a miss. It happen to me under 7. The problem was so hard to figure out. But in my case I was remote into the file server where a message appear quickly, then I would loose the connection. It was the onboard NIC was failing. I had disable int he BIOS. Stuck a PCI-Gig card in. Ta Da! issue solved. But I didn't have PCI-E Gig. So order a PCI-E Dual Direction Gig card and had pop that one in. Wow! What a huge difference.

So you need to start testing out the system and see what it could be. Are you getting BSD?

Thanks TMagic... it has been running fine. ::shrug::

tipsir, the system event logs show nothing amiss -other than the occasional apple service not starting as it should-. I disabled that from startup/services.
I looked through some forums andsuch, and it seems that this "not responding" thing happens for various reasons. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back