Dell mobo ory007
win 7 Home Prem x64
sp 1
Processor Intel Core 2 duo cpu E4400 @ 2ghz
Installed ram 4.00 gb (3.25 usable)
system type 64-bit Operating System
pen touch NO
Graphics card ATI 5670 w 1 gb mem

I removed an additional PCI raid drives that was installed in vista under duo boot. drives were never seen by win7 x64 *(no drivers available).... + all other add in cards

win7 x64 still only sees 4.0 gb usable 3.25 gb I did system config boot advance settings max mem box unchecked cores=2

BIOS graphics card PCIE
mem installed 4096
mem usable 4096

the question is Bios sees it. Win vista x32 sees it (weather it uses it is not the point it sees it). Win 7 sees it but 3.25 is usable
What can I do to use the 4gig and [(yes before you say I don't need it, many have said that!) the program I use will not work with less than 3.5 gb and runs perfect on 4 gb Reseated the ram and in different slots Reseated Processor.

I pulled the extra drives out that Vista uses 3 total (2 on pci raid card) do I need to pull the vista boot drive too win7 on one drive vista on another for duo boot availability

In the Control Panel under System what does the Installed Memory (RAM) show? I have 16GB installed with 15.9 useable

4 gb total with 4 1 gb modules all matched all good changed slots (Usable 3.25)
had 3 gb to start with added a 4th all numbers match and with cpuzid all are the same identical
I only get to use 3.25 which is a 32 bit setting but the system is definitely a dell 64 bit windows on a dell mother board
I did today disconnect theVista x 32 hard drive from the system with a reboot and still 4 gig installed usable 3.25
I have done everything but re-install win 7 x64 again but was installed as a clean install on BRAND NEW hard drive to start with so not sure its worth the reinstall of the drivers and updating win again but I would like to be able to use the 4 gig

So you had Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit as a dual boot computer? A 32-bit OS can only see 4GB total memory limited to around 3.2GB, and a 64 bit OS can see total memory above 4GB

How is your last statement helping? please see previous post but the question remains the same. why win 7 x 64 only shows usable 3.25gb and as I stated I removed the duo boot so NOT AN ISSUE .....now why isn't the 4 gig usable in a win 7 home premium x64 ?

Good question... authorities say 32- OS's can see a maximum 4GB of memory, but I have never seen more than 3.2 or so usable. I would suggest doing a "clean" install of Windows 7 64...

Why are you stuck on win 32 like every one else? how do I explain it without making you mad????For the 3 or fourth time I have a BRAND NEW WIN 7 X64 INSTALL ON A BRAND NEW DRIVE. 2 X CLEAN INSTALL WITH FORMAT OF DRIVE! I DID NOT UPDATE FROM 32 BIT!! how ever I found that system is reserving mem which is the .75 gig I am missing, and now my question is how to reallocate the system reserve mem in win 7 x64 I have no add in cards that need it and all motherboard devices shutoff when not used

Start->Type: 'msconfig' in the search box there (or in the run box, depending on your setup).

Boot tab, Advanced Options, Make sure 'Maximum Memory' is not checked as this limits the memory as specified in the box.

You can also check the bios to see if you have the on-board video chip turned on. If so turn it off as it will lock away memory.

However I've also seen this with unapproved memory.

Start->Type: 'msconfig' in the search box there (or in the run box, depending on your setup).

Boot tab, Advanced Options, Make sure 'Maximum Memory' is not checked as this limits the memory as specified in the box.

You can also check the bios to see if you have the on-board video chip turned on. If so turn it off as it will lock away memory.

However I've also seen this with unapproved memory.
I have done all of the above + what is in my list maybe expound on un approved memory but all four sticks are the same manufacturer model and speed.... SUPER TALENT 1 GB modules x4...........What I see on the Resource monitor is 770 MB hardware reserve.....thats the problem but every slot on board is turned off except the video card which is listed above amd 2 gig mem! I am only using the on board local lan for the network.the hardware reserve is still there wether the dvd is connected or not. 1 x terra byte HD sata reinstalled win 7 from two different sets of win 7 disk still same prob hardware reserve.....please help eith finding what hardware is reserving it? been 2 wks on this others put together no problem but mine whoa

Maybe the remaining of the 3.25gb memory is accessed/reserved by the radeon 5670 gpu?
my friend's computer with NVidia 9800gt 1gb ddr3 can access part of the system ram as video ram (now has more than 1gb vram allocated to it). see the documentation of your radeon gpu if it has a feature like this.

also, since you already did clean installation 2x with windows 7 64bit, I suggest you troubleshoot the problem using 2 sticks of ram each time.
1. use pair A and use ram slots 1 and 3 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)
2. use pair A and use ram slots 2 and 4 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)
3. use pair B and use ram slots 1 and 3 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)
4. use pair B and use ram slots 2 and 4 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)

if computer can see total of 2048mb or 2gb system ram each time, add 1 more ram to slot 2 then 4.

Maybe the remaining of the 3.25gb memory is accessed/reserved by the radeon 5670 gpu?
my friend's computer with NVidia 9800gt 1gb ddr3 can access part of the system ram as video ram (now has more than 1gb vram allocated to it). see the documentation of your radeon gpu if it has a feature like this.

also, since you already did clean installation 2x with windows 7 64bit, I suggest you troubleshoot the problem using 2 sticks of ram each time.
1. use pair A and use ram slots 1 and 3 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)
2. use pair A and use ram slots 2 and 4 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)
3. use pair B and use ram slots 1 and 3 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)
4. use pair B and use ram slots 2 and 4 then boot computer if it can see total system ram of 2048mb (or 2gb)

if computer can see total of 2048mb or 2gb system ram each time, add 1 more ram to slot 2 then 4.
I did swap each stick in each and every slot but not 2 x 2 so will give that a shot and let you know but will be tomorrow as its reboot intensive and life forbids at the moment

And I want to say thanks for the help

Does your motherboard have built-in graphics? Disabling this in the BIOS should allow you to use all of the installed RAM.

It is disabled as I am using PCIE x16 amd graphics card with 2 GB on board 1 gig for its processor and 1 gb for video ram both ddr5

Do not assume that it is automatically disabled because a plug-in card is being used. I would double-check to be sure.

1 gig for its processor and 1 gb for video ram

I am not sure I understand you here...

I never assume! bios as stated PCIE, no two ways about it tripple checked by myself and another computer literate person.
According to AMD they have over 1k processors (you read that correct) and it uses 1 GB for that purpose and uses the other as video. I am not employed by amd and not sure WHAT they are talking about

now my bios is AWARD PHOENIX Ver, 1.0.3 dated 2007

"now my bios is AWARD PHOENIX Ver, 1.0.3 dated 2007"
My thought on this is that the motherboard and even the BIOS are maybe 7/8 years old. You could always try a BIOS update.

Last edited:
Good question... authorities say 32- OS's can see a maximum 4GB of memory, but I have never seen more than 3.2 or so usable. I would suggest doing a "clean" install of Windows 7 64...
This is incorrect. Windows 32-bit consumer OS by default only allow 4GB of memory space. Enabling PAE (with a minor modification to Windows kernel to remove the artificial limitation), you can address 64GB. You can also see this in Windows 32-bit Server OS's which can address 64GB without modification (note this table cites 128GB but other MS sources cite different numbers so I can't confirm that).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613975(v=vs.85).aspx

32-bit machines have been capable of addressing >4GB memory space since I believe the Pentium Pro.

Doing a clean install of Windows will not help as I do not believe it is a Windows issue here. The reason the 4GB is not showing is the OS is not remapping 700MB of memory above the 4GB boundary. This is usually a bios option. A bios update may solve it if the option is missing for you.

Windows allocates 32-bit memory space addresses for drivers and system resources. If it can't "virtually map" some of the 4GB ram out of that space, it can't use all the 4GB of ram as you obviously need to access your hardware as a priority.

I think what you are looking for is this:
http://www.forum-seven.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/memoryremap.jpg

Last edited:
Back