Windows 7 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

Since our membership is much larger than any other previous Windows release I think a thread like this is necessary.

If you have Windows 7 questions, that is fine, it is a public beta. But keep in mind that there were a lot of ways to get Windows 7 before it became public. If you got your copy from anyone other than Microsoft there is no guarentee it hasn't been modified in some way. For us here at techspot to troubleshoot and try and help you out we need to only deal with copies that came directly from Microsoft.

If you have a pirated copy and have problems, and then ask about them in here, it does nobody any good because we aren't able to determine whether it is a legit problem or a problem that occurs because of something that happened to your source before you got it.

This is going to have to be an honor system of sorts since its impossible for us to determine where you got your copy from, but please don't post with problems here if your copy is not one from Microsoft. Like I said its free from Microsoft right now, go ahead and get it from them if you really want to give it a shot.

Here is the download link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

With that said, I want to remind you that this is still Beta software, it is not a final release. Betas are expected to have bugs in them, so there may be issues that no matter how much you post about it, we will not be able to solve for you.

Window 7 beta

Hi,
I am not that pc cute but usually solve my own problems and have formatted hdd's and re installed Win xp a few times.

I have a machine (bought in ignorance) with WMCE on it and that o/s is supposed to be a bad choice for music work( Cubase, M-Audio kit di da...) I find it works ok but was always meaning to get xp home. Blista I would NOT contemplate!

However if I were to give Win 7 a do, would I be letting myself in for a heap of trouble? I have a system recovery disc made on day one of buying this machine, I wanted to "swop" WMCE for xp home but neither PCWorld nor Ms wanted to know!

I have 2 physical hdd's in the pc and I was thinking of putting 7 on the "not C drive" IYSWIM! and running dual boot, er' could do with some help on that last as well!

Cheers all,

Dave (valve amp tech, jusask!)

Windows 7 is a lot better than Vista so far, I have only used it for about 3 weeks. but I have had some trouble loading some software on it. as for you loading it on another partition I would try it so you can see hat you like and do not like about it. you will be able to dual boot into your MCE OS as well.

Is there any way to change the mouserate using windows 7 ? ???

ty

Hey sorry I don't understand what you want to mention by mouserate?

Also Windows 7 being on a beta is very nicer than Windows Vista. The performance is largely better than Vista and the style have change for a friendly usage and shortcut facilities with its new taskbar. Now you have that much problem about having 2GB for using Windows 7 as there was for Vista Windows 7 would even be fine on a 512MB as I have a 1GB and its like im using XP on a 2GB. For Processing Windows 7 is slightly better than XP and Vista.

But as mentioned by SNGX1275 it is still a beta and thus there is some bug.

1 Problem about MP3 thus making it starting after 3 to 5 seconds of the music start.

2. Sometimes gets Graphics Drivers problem but that is back to normal after 10 seconds.

3. Sometimes taskbar is little flashy due to the problem of No2

For now it is the bugs I found after using Windows 7 for nearly 4 weeks.

just wanted to add that you should try the compatibility mode for running programs. this is by now one of the best updated features in windows 7.
I played around with 7 for almost 3 weeks and I liked it. Can't remember to have said so about any other version of windows before :)
in my company we postponed the rollout of vista and thinking of skipping it and go with 7. we'll see...

Ive been using Windows 7 full time since september and I cant believe its a beta. Only problems Ive had is some audio popping and clicking but Ive always gotten that with Creative sound cards and a new version of Windows. I think this is more Creatives fault. Its been more responsive than XP and I havent needed to use compatibility mode at all. Ive installed it on my laptop with 1.6 Celeron , 2 gigs of ram and 5400rpm hard drive and its alot faster than XP was. Gamning has been great with no issues at all.
The only negatives are Control Panel has so many things its a little mind boggling and alot of setting and functions arent the same as in Vista so its like learning a new OS again.

To change mouse curser speed go into Control Panel- select "show all items" and then click on the mouse.

I've been using it a little more. I don't have it on my primary PC or notebook so it takes a concerted effort to sit down at the Windows 7 machine as opposed to something I already have running how I want. But from what I have used of it I do seem to like it a bit more than I initially expected.

I came across this site the other day and it has some really cool tips and points out the functionality of the OS. http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-seriously-useful-windows-7-tips-528483

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is how many of those really cool features are going to disappear if I don't run the Ultimate version when this comes out for real?

I am having some problems with playback of xvids. The sound and video glitch/lag for about 5-10second periods every few minutes. I've tried VLC, updating my video card drivers, and a codec pack for windows7.

With a fairly fresh install on my system it is using 14.5gigs. I do have a few programs installed like IM, Opera, and some codecs but those should all be very minimal in size.

Windows...............7

Can anyone please upload windows 7 and provide me the download link so that people who did not get chance to download during the stipulated time can at least download now.................

Thank You
Sorry for inconvenience..................

Can anyone please upload windows 7 and provide me the download link so that people who did not get chance to download during the stipulated time can at least download now.................

Thank You
Sorry for inconvenience..................

I'm sure there are torrent sites out there hosting it. and i fairly sure someones probably uploaded it to sites like rapidshare etc

But its hit or miss if you'll get a dirty copy or not .. if you get what mean

Lycan

Win7 has built in support for burning iso files. Just click and chose burner.

For opening and manipulating iso files

IZArc http://www.izarc.org/ (Billed as the Ultimate Compression utility) I agree have use it for years.

IZArc is the best freeware archive utility supporting many archive formats like: 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CAB, CDI, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MDF, MBF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO. With a modern easy-to-use interface, IZArc provides support for most compressed and encoded files, as well as access to many powerful features and tools. It allows you to drag and drop files from and to Windows Explorer, create and extract archives directly in Windows Explorer, create multiple archives spanning disks, creating self-extracting archives, repair damaged zip archives, converting from one archive type to another, view and write comments and many more. IZArc has also build-in multilanguage support.

With IZArc you can open CD image files like ISO, BIN, CDI and NRG. It is also possible to convert such files from one type to another (BIN to ISO, NRG to ISO).

If you need to send large files to your colleagues, friends or customers who may not have archiving tool you can easily create self-extracting archive that can be extracted by simple double click.

IZArc can be configured to run your preferred Anti-Virus scanner when you open any archives.

IZArc supports 256-bit AES encryption to secure your data.

IZArc is integrated in Windows so you can perform all archiving operations by using right-click menus in Windows Explorer.

If you have broken archives IZArc can help you to repair them with ease.

IZArc is 100% virus free and it doesn't contain any spyware or adware.

IZArc is the most complete archive utility available today.

Mike

Win 7 was done better

I downloaded the beta copy as soon as MS released it. Expecting nothing but utter disaster which is Microsoft's history I must say I installed Beta 7 into a Toshiba P4 Centrino Duo laptop with 1 gig RAM and 120 gig HDD. Unit is about 3 years old maybe but I did this to see if Win7 would be the paperweight that Vista was in beta.

I have to say, (And I have NEVER said this about anything MS) I really really like Windows 7. They did this one right, about time. This is what Vista should have been, It is responsive, quick, streamlined. I will be recommending Windows 7 where I would tell my Clients to pay for the downgrade to XP if offered. I have sold $0 in Vista, it sucks that bad to me.(Though I will give MS Vista props for being much better now 4 years later and all the bad press)

Windows 7 at beta is very nice, it is in my main laptop and I have no intention or removing it and will be going 7 when the final is released.

I installed Windows 7 beta shortly before MS stopped supplying the download and keys. I am using Windows 7 64-bit in a dual boot configuration along with Vista Home Premium, SP1 32-bit. With my old Abit motherboard, I had to install an old Intel PCI NIC to get Windows 7 online. The onboard NIC wasn't recognized. In Vista the onboard NIC worked. I upgraded my motherboard to a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L recently, and Windows 7 works well with the onboard NIC. Daemon Tools, Google Desktop and The Weather Channels Desktop application won't run in Windows 7. Windows 7 installs faster than Vista, and the OS is much easier to customize. It is "cleaner" and runs smooth, compared to Vista. I like it!

I am now running Windows 7 Build 7057 which does not expire until 03/01/2010. It says on the EULA that I checked that it is an RC build. It is a great deal better in many ways from prior builds that I have tested. It is far superior to Vista or any other OS that Microsoft has released.

Hi
I am currently running windows XP pro 64bit and am thinking about upgrading my system soon. The majority of my work is manipulating image and video files using either photoshop or premier and a lot of other image manipulation tools. My major grouse with XP 64 is the varied quality of OS support by developers.

Could anyone tell me:

1. When is 7's likely release date?
2. Has anyone here used 7 manipulating extremely large photoshop *.psb file (4.0G +) - if so how well does it perform? Win 64 slows down enormously with large files.. sometimes I need to go and have lunch while I crop a large image!! That is with a quad processor and 8G of fast ram!!
David

The Windows 7 release date varies greatly. I heard as soon as August 2009, but MS is known for delaying OS releases. If you want the best performance for video and picture editing always consider a quality $120+ motherboard, $250+ CPU, 850 Watt PS, and as you said 8GB of RAM. A couple of 500GB hard drives wouldn't hurt either

The Windows 7 release date varies greatly. I heard as soon as August 2009, but MS is known for delaying OS releases. If you want the best performance for video and picture editing always consider a quality $120+ motherboard, $250+ CPU, 850 Watt PS, and as you said 8GB of RAM. A couple of 500GB hard drives wouldn't hurt either

Well at the time I build the current system it had the fastest quad processor available, an MB 850 w supply 2x10,000 rpm 80G drives & 4x1TB 7,500 rpm drives plus dual ATI radeon saphire and twin high end monitors. My understanding is that win XP 64 bit was not written, from the ground up, to take full advantage of 64bit. In turn SW developers did not feel that the circumstances would justify heavy investment in trying to maximise 64bit performance because the OS limitations would get in the way.

I now hear that manufacturers and developers are feeling more enthusiastic about Win 7's potential and I sure as hell need some improvements in the processing department.

It will be interesting to see what happens with 7

I was very surprized about how smoothly the dual boot Vista Home Premium, SP1 and Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit worked. After experiencing Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, Windows 95 to Windows 98, Windows 98/ Windows Me to Windows XP, and Windows XP to Windows Vista, I am very optomistic about Windows 7 :)

I was very surprized about how smoothly the dual boot Vista Home Premium, SP1 and Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit worked. After experiencing Windows 3.1 to Windows 95, Windows 95 to Windows 98, Windows 98/ Windows Me to Windows XP, and Windows XP to Windows Vista, I am very optomistic about Windows 7 :)

I agree with you... Windows 7 even on beta is wow, superbly stable, fast and user friendly, but I would like to know when the Windows 7 Release Candidate will be out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back