Windows 8 goes gold, will hit MSDN and TechNet on August 15

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has announced the completion of Windows 8's development with the final build on its way to OEM partners. The RTM (release to manufacturing) milestone marks the last development stage before general availability and accurately represents the final product, barring any showstopping bugs. System builders will use the RTM version to prepare products for the operating system's launch on October 26.

Besides its inevitable appearance on torrent sites, the Windows 8 RTM will be offered through various legal means before October. Developers and IT professionals will be able to download the build two weeks from now via MSDN and TechNet. On August 16, the OS will be available to Microsoft Partner Network members and Windows 8 Enterprise will be available through the Volume License Service Center (VLSC).

On August 20, Microsoft Action Pack Providers (MAPS) will receive access and on September 1, Volume License customers without Software Assurance will be able to buy Windows 8 via Microsoft Volume License Resellers. Microsoft says availability for other partner programs will be announced when the time comes. In the meantime, the company has prepared a couple blog posts for businesses eyeing the upgrade.

Once in possession of the Windows 8 RTM, folks can begin submitting paid apps to the Windows Store (only free apps were previously permitted). Developers will earn 70% of app sales and that figure increases to 80% once the software exceeds $25,000 in revenue. Microsoft has also offered a list of certification policies along with a handy guide on implementing features such as in-app purchases and trial periods.

Microsoft says it's "humbled by the breadth of participation" in its prerelease software. The Developer, Consumer and Release builds have been the most broadly tested previews of any MS product with over 16 million PCs actively participating including 7 million on the Release Preview alone. The company thanked users for their feedback and said it would continue evaluating real-world experiences with Windows 8.

As noted, consumers will be able to purchase the operating system starting October 26. The company previously announced that it would let Windows XP, Vista and 7 users upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only $39.99, far less than the $120 or $220 to update from Vista to 7 Home Premium or Ultimate. Also, folks who purchase a new Windows 7 PC ahead of Windows 8 will be able to upgrade for only $14.99.

Permalink to story.

Oh, ****.

This was sooner than I thought.

Brace yourselves for either the most important success or failure of modern computing.

It is really too bad Microsoft follows this pattern of good bad good bad and it just so happens 8 hits bad.

ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8.... see the pattern? I'm going to wait for "Windows 9"

I don't know guest. I saw somewhere, probably linked it in here before, that that argument is only somewhat true. It isn't an every other release sucks, it is if you look at it using only those 5 examples. But if you go back further, or count in the full timeline of when releases were (service packs), then that breaks down.

Well, I think most people think this will be one of the worst OS's Microsoft has ever put out. So far.

I could see myself getting a Windows 8 tablet sometimes next year. My desktop PC however, will be skipping Windows 8.

This is prolly the best OS I have ever used since ditching ubuntu 11.04,Windows XP...I love it, its fresh and easy to use, make my pc feel fast and responsive, easy to find anything I want.

I could see myself getting a Windows 8 tablet sometimes next year. My desktop PC however, will be skipping Windows 8.
Why? Because of the 'touch screen' friendly Metro interface? Maybe I'm biased, and I didn't use the RP of 8 only the CP. But I think MS could totally kill off the dislike of the touch screen interface by incorporating Opera like 'mouse gestures'. Right click and swipe to move screen right, reverse to swipe left, seems fine. Mouse as pointer with swipes and no problem with the 'touch screen interface'.

I would like a Windows 8 Tablet, that would be cool. Tablets are great for sitting on the toilet and sometimes the living room. Other than that, I have a laptop with Windows 7 for on my patio, and a desktop with Windows 7 for real computing. WIndows 8 will be good for tablets, but Windows 7 is still amazing for everything else.

The biggest problem really is this OS is not worth the upgrade $$$$, they need to seriously lower the price tag. Plus, Windows 7 is so stable and really good I don't feel that I'm getting anything out of upgrading. Unless I want to turn my desktop into an ultra powerful tablet?

That is the problem for MS. They have failed to show the consumer that 8 is an upgrade. Us, that are somewhat up to date on these things, we know the upgrades, but the general public is not informed. That is the problem. "7 is good enough, why 8?"

So how soon before the OEM builders of laptops such as Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. will be offering their products in Windows 8? I need to purchase a new laptop and it looks like sooner than expected. :(

Well, I formatted my PC and reinstalled Windows 7 x64 SP1 last week just because I learned M$ wouldn't get the Start Menu back anymore on the release of Windows 8. Metro interface is a bad joke on a desktop, and I tested it for 2 months before getting into this conclusion. Now, with a fresh install of Win7, my PC is running like new, and rock-stable. For years to come.

It's sad really, they could just add the option to have a classic desktop mode, but that IMPOSITION of Metro from M$ is just a really BAD move. Innovation is not coercion. Imposing things to users is quite the opposite of a modern software company should do.

Thankfully, Windows 7 will be supported for a long time now, maybe even longer than Windows XP, because so many people will just want to pass on Windows 8, just like happened to Vista.

Why? Because of the 'touch screen' friendly Metro interface? Maybe I'm biased, and I didn't use the RP of 8 only the CP. But I think MS could totally kill off the dislike of the touch screen interface by incorporating Opera like 'mouse gestures'. Right click and swipe to move screen right, reverse to swipe left, seems fine. Mouse as pointer with swipes and no problem with the 'touch screen interface'.

They are not mutually exclusive. Changing how you interact with an interface does not require a change of the interface itself (assuming such interface is method-of-input adaptable). In essence, they <I>could</I> implement those gesture you speak of, but without having to remove Metro. Thing is, even then people wouldn't like Windows 8.

If you look close, people don't have a problem <I>with</I> Metro. They have a problem with the biggest Metro element: the Start Screen. From what I've read and heard, no one complains about the actual design language or the Metro apps. If gestures were there (which they will for devices with touchpads, FYI), people are still going to complain because it is fundamentally different from what we've gotten used to for the past couple of decades. Whether it is better than the Start button, though, remains a subjective matter, which is why it's going to be interesting to see how it'll turn out.

That is the problem for MS. They have failed to show the consumer that 8 is an upgrade. Us, that are somewhat up to date on these things, we know the upgrades, but the general public is not informed. That is the problem. "7 is good enough, why 8?"

Windows 8 is a superior OS all-around. There's no question about it. The problem seems to be the Start Screen, and how jarring the transitions are between it and the desktop.

The biggest problem really is this OS is not worth the upgrade $$$$, they need to seriously lower the price tag. Plus, Windows 7 is so stable and really good I don't feel that I'm getting anything out of upgrading. Unless I want to turn my desktop into an ultra powerful tablet?

You obviously don't have to get it if you're comfortable with Windows 7, but Windows 8 is $40. Windows 7 was $120 at launch...

Will licences for 7 still be available ?

Yes. Depending on how Windows 8 does, Windows 7 licences should still be sold up until 2015.

So how soon before the OEM builders of laptops such as Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc. will be offering their products in Windows 8? I need to purchase a new laptop and it looks like sooner than expected. :(

November. Hope that's not too far for you. Even then you can still get a Windows 7 laptop now and later upgrade to Windows 8 for $14.99.

Windows 8 is a superior OS all-around. There's no question. The problem seems to be the Start Screen, and how jarring the transitions are between it and the desktop.

See the ambiguity? It's not superior all-around, it has a MAJOR flaw, which is, the lack of a proper User Interface. It could be better at kernel level, but that's it. And it's kernel can't be better to the point of justifying the upgrade to the cost of losing a proper interface for a desktop. Because windows 7 with sp1 is rock solid.

Windows 8 is a superior OS all-around. There's no question. The problem seems to be the Start Screen, and how jarring the transitions are between it and the desktop.

See the ambiguity? It's not superior all-around, it has a MAJOR flaw, which is, the lack of a proper User Interface. It could be better at kernel level, but that's it. And it's kernel can't be better to the point of justifying the upgrade to the cost of losing a proper interface for a desktop. Because windows 7 with sp1 is rock solid.

There's no ambiguity. The Start Screen being a "major flaw" is subjective. Just as it is bad for you, it is great for me (after, admittedly, the learning curve). Our scenario will apply to a sample of literally <I>billions</I> of people, which is why it'll be interesting.

And explain to me what changes from Vista to 7 were worth $120? It's all about appearance, my friend.

And the Start Screen is not an UI. It's simply an app launcher.

And the Start Screen is not an UI. It's simply an app launcher.
The Start Screen may not be the complete UI, but it is what sets the tone for the UI. The Start Screen is what allows the initialization of the UI. In a sense the UI is most memorable by the Start Screen.

The Start Screen may not be the complete UI, but it is what sets the tone for the UI. The Start Screen is what allows the initialization of the UI. In a sense the UI is most memorable by the Start Screen.

Again, no. That's like saying the Start menu is the "desktop" simply because it "sets the tone" of the rest of UI elements of the desktop.

The Start Screen is a program launcher based on the Metro interface. Just like the Start menu is a program launcher based on the, ahem, "legacy" interface. Although you natively boot into it, you hardly ever see it or use it, especially if you pin programs to the taskbar.

Also, there are several Metro elements in the desktop that are visible without ever going to the Start Screen, so I don't buy "Metro" itself is the problem, as Metro apps work perfectly with Mouse/Keyboard. Like I said, people don't have a problem with the actual design language or Metro apps, they seem rather indifferent on that aspect; the problem is the Start Screen (and I absolutely get it). However, you never wondered why people don't (outspokenly) hate the charms bar, or the multitasking pane, or the retarded hot corners, or how when you click on the Network icon on the taskbar this unnecessary black "Metro" bar pops out, etc.? I sincerely hate them, but only because I don't mind the Start Screen. Do I hate Metro? No. Just those elements.

So the problem is not the "UI", but one essential element based off of it

Again, no. That's like saying the Start menu is the "desktop" simply because it "sets the tone" of the rest of UI elements of the desktop.
What exactly do you think UI stands for? The Start Menu is the interface in which users interface with the OS. Its not the complete interface but it is the front end. Change the Start Menu to Metro doesn't mean the whole UI was replaced just the front end which sets the tone for user experience.

guest said:
It is really too bad Microsoft follows this pattern of good bad good bad and it just so happens 8 hits bad.
ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8.... see the pattern? I'm going to wait for "Windows 9"

a) Why did you post that was though it's some brand new original thought, when people have been spouting this **** incessantly for the last two years or something now.

b) It's a complete pile of ****.

XP was awful when it was released, and only became half decent after SP2, the fact Longhorn got delayed for so long that people were using XP on hardware far in excess of what it required also aided in the illusision it was somehow superior to Vista.

Vista was better than XP by far, especially if you compare them both them under similar circumstances rather than a near decade old XP with three service patches and hardware more powerful than what existed back when it was released, and a brand new Vista. When XP was released it had all the exact same issues like driver problems, lack of backward compatibility, sluggish performance, etc.that Vista did when it was released, except even worse. Maybe if forum *****s didn't have the memory capability of goldfish they would be able to realise this.

Windows 7 is just a fine tuned Windows Vista.

Windows 8 is just a fine tuned Windows 7 with a new UI that everyone is jumping on the hate bandwagon about.

cliffordcooley said:
What exactly do you think UI stands for? The Start Menu is the interface in which users interface with the OS. Its not the complete interface but it is the front end. Change the Start Menu to Metro doesn't mean the whole UI was replaced just the front end which sets the tone for user experience.

Why do you even care so much about the Start Menu in this day and age anyway? Barely anyone uses it (Protip: this isn't my opinion, it's an actual fact supported by actual Microsoft telemetrics). Power users generally just hit the windows key and start typing the name of the program they want until it appears then hit enter, more novice users have their primary programs pinned. Only people's grandmothers still laboriously go rooting through the "All Programs" menu and clicking on nested folders to find a program icon.

Why do you even care so much about the Start Menu in this day and age anyway?
I never said I cared about the Start Menu. I will say I care even less for Metro.

As far as pressing start and typing the name of the application I want to use, this is something I do very rarely. I pin my most used applications to the start bar and then pin my other applications to the start menu. I have no need in searching through the All Application folder, once I have everything pinned. As far as Metro is concerned, I have absolutely no desire in my PC looking similar to a checker board at anytime.

Back