Windows XP Home Edition Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 9100. I am getting a STOP: error on bootup. Here is the stop error.

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

Beginning dup of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

The computer was working fine 2 days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is a serious problem. If the registry cannot load, nothing can run.

My best recommendation at this point is to run an XP repair installation from an XP installation CD. If you don't have one, borrow one from a local comp store. Make sure it has the matching service pack for your installation.

The link gave me some good info but did not solve my problem

I tried the Recovery Console and the Console said that it could not find any hard disk drives. Any other options?

What about XP repair installation? That's not Recovery Console. It's an automated repair feature that compares the current installation system read-only files against what's on the installation CD. Instead of selecting 'R' for Recovery Console, select "Enter" to install, then select 'R' for repair.

Did you find an XP installation CD and try a repair installation? If so and it failed, did the BIOS POST detect the hard drive?

When you start your comp, BIOS run a Power On Self-Test (POST), so it first detects a device, i.e. hard drive, then runs a test to see if it works. Usually the results are displayed right on the screen but it depends on the manufacturer and your BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back