TechSpot

Windows XP SP2 Wireless Internet Connected but no internet

By ebtrouble
Aug 31, 2008
  1. Greetings all,

I have been wrestling with my Dell laptop, Windows XP SP2, trying to get connected to the internet. I have done research on many forums but have yet to make any progress.

I am using my sister's laptop to post this, which can connect to our neighbor's wireless internet (we both have permission) so I know the wireless is functioning and the router is not in a closet turned off...

I can connect to the wireless network and the signal strength shows "good". But Internet Explorer only displays the classic "cannot display page" error message.

I noticed that I am not showing any Default Gateway Address but don't know my way around networking well enough to know if that is significant.

Connection status: Connected
    Encryption type: TKIP
    Network Name: chicken
    Speed: 24.0 Mbps
    Channel: 11
    Radio Streams: 1
    AP MAC address: 00:1B:2F:4C:F8:A0
    Gateway IP address: Not Available
    Client MAC address: 00:16:CE:37:35:4C
    Client IP address: 192.168.1.4
    Client IPv6 address: Not available

I'm very anxious to get this working, and will provide any further information y'all may need to help me. Thanks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.