Windows XP SP3 Freezes On Cold Boot, But Works On Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

san1965

Hi all,

I have been facing this very strange problem these past four to five weeks. My machine refuses to boot up from cold. During the cold boot, the system reaches the stage where the text box appears for entering user password. Now the moment I type any character on the keyboard, the system freezes.

But when I press restart and reach the same stage of entering the password, it proceeds normally.

I have XPSP3, two physical hard disks, 2GB RAM, DG965RY motherboard, Intel PIV cpu.

Is this a known issue, or is it something that I have stumbled across for the first time?

Thanks for your guidance...

The primary C drive may be causing this. When you get Windows up, go to My Computer, and right-click on the C drive. Select Properties, tools, check disk for errors. Set a disk check on restart. See if any errors are detected

Disk Check For C: Drive

Hello TMagic650,

I checked the C: as you suggested; it shows no error. Has this something do with the fact that the voltages from the SMPS to the rest of the circuitry takes some time to stabilize? By the time I reboot, the stabilization has taken place? This is just a thought of course.

Thanks for your guidance; much appreciated.

Using Alternative Power Supply

Hello Tmagic650,

Thank you for your input; much appreciated.

I will try this option out and report back on how it worked. For a system with two hard-disks (260Gb + 500 Gb), Intel 2.66 Ghz (dual core), 1Gb X 2 RAM, 1 sound card, DG965RY Mbd - do you recommend any particular powersupply that can handle the load?

Thanks again in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back