WinXP wont detect my 3945abg adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklantis

I am dual booting winxp sp3 with the Vista that came on my brand new toshiba u405-s2824 notebook. Windows XP will not detect my 3945abg wireless adapter even though it works fine while booting Vista. I forced an install with ADD NEW HAREWARE and what i belive to be the correct driver, but a I get a code 10: Device cant start. I have 2 yellow signs in the deivce manage for SM Bus controller and PCI Express Root Port 6 -2849. I have installed, what I believe, are the correct chipset drivers. The 3945abg is recognized by third part programs. Thanku

1. What chipset drivers are you using? i believe the only one Toshiba provides for both XP and VIsta are here. But first, before installing/reinstalliing chipset drivers i would remove whatever you forced install earlier (was it the wireless driver?)

2. What version BIOS do you have running? I am not suggesting you change it. I am just asking for now.

Xp Still wont detect 3945abg intergrated wireless

With the correct chipset drivers installed, XP still wont detect my intergrated 3945abg wireless and I get a yellow error for PCI express port root 6-2849. The device cannot find enough free resources. All the other devices in device manager are fine. I am Using BIOS v1.80

If there are any ports that you don't use, disable them to free up resources.

Normally you shouldn’t update your BIOS just because new versions are available but I see:
- you’re using BIOS v1.8 (just released April, 2008)
- And by July, 2008 Toshiba had already released two newer versions! (with lots of bug fixes)

I think a BIOS upgrade to v3.0 needs to be part of the plan BUT don’t do the upgrade yet. In preparation
- Download the BIOS v3.0 package and install to hard drive (it only installs files on drive. This step doesn’t load BIOS)
- You’ll get a pop-up. Select the option to review instructions.
- Carefully review those instructions so the upload proceeds without interruption. The instructions present 3 options for upload. You can prepare for the upload using diskette or CD (no chance of a windows crash or unknown that way). Again, just prepare for the upgrade. Don’t do it just yet.

Next would please
- For both Vista and XP check to be certain (click here) and report if you are using a 32 or 64 bit version
- For both Vista and XP install DriverMax. Use it backup (Export) all your current drivers (just in case). Then use it to generate a text report on current driver versions and keep copies for reference. You can attach the XP report to TechSpot post.
- And fyi… while I think is a helpful tool for use as described.. I still wouldn’t rely 100% on it to find updates.

Updating BIOS was the answer

I thank all of you for your help. However, LookinAround wins the prize. After you questioned what BIOS version I was using, I had a hunch you would suggest updating to version 3. I did update and suddenly my 3945abg adapter was there. I guess I didnt think of needing a BIOS newer than the operating system.

Congrats! :grinthumb

And some hints to know...
1. BIOS updates or changes are are not uncommon with a new OS install
2. Resource allocation problems in XP or Vista when using an ACPI compliant Bios (which are most BIOS these days) is often sign of a buggy BIOS (let alone toshiba releasing 3 bios versions within 3 months!)

Would still recommend DriverMax for backing up drivers to media (so as to not have to hunt them down again to reinstall them. Just point the Windows Install Hardware Wizard to your media). and having a report/reference for current driver version numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back