WOF: What CES products are you most excited about?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

As anticipated throughout 2010, this year's conference is inundated with tablets. Although we've seen a few too many unimaginative clones, many new slates have intriguing attributes. Some carry a sliding hardware keyboard, others run Android 3.0 Honeycomb, at least one packs two 14-inch touchscreens, and they're all begging for a place in your life.

Despite the overwhelming presence of tablets at CES, there have been plenty of other announcements: Microsoft confirmed it's working on ARM compatibility for Windows, Intel and AMD officially welcomed their new Sandy Bridge and Fusion processors, OCZ launched some fierce SSDs, and Razer showed a portable gaming prototype with LCD keys.

Without dragging this on, we want to ask what you found most exciting about this year's CES? We've embedded a poll below with a handful of noteworthy announcements, but we've excluded most tablets because the list would simply be too long. If a particular product caught your attention and it's not on the list, feel free to share it in the comments.

Permalink to story.

Was going to vote for the Series 9 but I will never vote for something that runs Windows.

I really liked the Surface 2.0 I hope I ever get to use one.

The Windows 8 support of ARM and the Project Denver announcement. Technically that's two "products", but I would hazard a guess that there is a fair amount of linkage between the two.

Motorola Atrix.
Love the concept of being able to have your PC on your phone.

My vote went to Intel Sandy Bridge because of the implications it will carry on mobile PCs this year and in the near future. Finally decent integrated graphics and another big leap in efficiency, even though this is not the die shrink step on Intel's roadmap. I didn't consider the possibility of upgrading my 2+ year old laptop running a Core 2 Duo mobile CPU until now.

Then I really liked the Android 3.0 preview. The hardware still has to be proven but as a platform Android is maturing quickly enough that it's set to give Apple a real battle.

Windows on ARM? Meh... it's still a long way. Like I heard someone say, last year Microsoft showed off the HP tablet like the next big thing. One year later they haven't delivered. Instead two big products: Kinect and Windows Phone 7 made it to market mid-year. I'm happy to see them iterate on the phone world (finally), so it should be an interesting 2011.

I guess I'm most excited about general advancements in computer hardware, but nothing from the CES REALLY jumps out at me.

Probably the zacate laptops in the immediate future since i'm looking for a fairly cheap laptop with decent power.

I voted for Sandy Bridge (and reasons have already been nicely elaborated by Julio, although I am planning to hold out till Ivy Bridge comes along to replace my Core 2 Duo DV5). Additionally I am hoping that Intel and AMD will improve (read follow Moore's Law) in improving the IGP's performance and get it to 70-100$ range discrete graphics which will most likely eliminate need of discrete graphics from notebook solutions for majority of users, and probably this may hold true for desktop pcs as well.

The Motorola Atrix is really exciting. Not for what it is now, but for the market that it is going to open. I think that this is the future: one device for desktop,laptop and phone, even for heavy gaming.
When I say future, I mean something like 10-20 years.

On second thought, the Motorola Atrix is a pretty amazing device, too. Agree with Guest, thinking into the future (I'd call it on a shorter term than 10-20 years, or so I hope) where you can carry your PC around with you and use dummy stations and the cloud to access and store everything you need.

Unfortunately for Motorola the device may not have massive appeal today but it's a big step in the right direction, I'm impressed with what they have accomplished so far and Android's 2.x flexibility as well.

I want to upgrade my laptop this year so for me it's Sandy Bridge, hopefully Apple won't drag its feet in getting these chips into their MacBooks. Honeycomb, the Motorola Atrix and OCZ's Vertex 3 got my vote as well.

I must be one of the few that think tablets are awful. Give me something with a lid for pete's sake!

Ahem, i voted for "Other"...As in anything "Other" than a tablet.

I'm really looking forward to both Sandy Bridge and fusion. The OCZ Z-Drive R3 and Vertex 3 also looks awesome, 550MB/sec transfer rates make me feel all warm inside., Running the Z-drive over PCIe is brilliant. I wonder how much room for expansion that leaves us. Imagine if they could run the Z-Drive over X16 O.o. Too bad I'll never be able to afford any of that....for now.

Notion Ink

Nobody gives any credit to an innovative startup? The Adam from Notion Ink looks pretty slick to me, and apparently handles well according to Engadget and Crunchgear.

Some noteworthy stuff, definitely. I tend not to get excited these days about non-existing products, and reserve judgement to when they finally arrive.

Personally I've been waiting for the AMD Fusion CPU's (or APU's, as AMD likes to call them) for a while, and I'm still waiting for real arrival and reviews. Hopefully soon.

Regarding what Julio said, there was a tablet with a built-in projector, don't remember whose, but this looks to me to be a step in the future direction. Only it would happen with phones. You'll have a phone and a small collapsible stand which will features a space for one projection to act as a screen and another projection will create a keyboard.

Voted for the OCZ SSD'S and AMD Fusion. OCZ seems to be leading the way into new SSD tech. (along with Intel and Samsung). AMD's Fusion was a long past due glad it is finally here! It will only get better as they go along. Im really liking the price and the performance of the fusion notebooks very promising future.

Sandy Bridge (specifically the 2600K w/P67 mobo), because that's my next upgrade, and what treeski said. The specific products being released are not grabbing me, but what comes FROM them, as far as improvements and advancements does.

Back