Yahoo updates logo for the first time in nearly 20 years

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Yahoo on Thursday unveiled its new logo after a month-long campaign that showed a new variant each day leading up to the big reveal. The new logo, which is already in place on Yahoo’s main page, retains many of the same characteristics as the one it replaces but with a modern splash.

yahoo logo new yahoo logo

As you can see, the logo is still purple although it’s now a shade or two darker. The familiar uppercase lettering is still in place as is the signature exclamation point which dances around briefly before settling into place following a page refresh. There’s a new sans-serif typeface in use that Yahoo created specifically for the logo and there’s now a slight beveled effect to the lettering.

In a Tumblr post on the subject, CEO Marissa Mayer said they wanted a logo that reflected Yahoo – whimsical, yet sophisticated. Something that was modern and fresh, with a nod to the company’s history. It needed to have a human touch, personal. The end result is something they are proud of, she suggested.

Yahoo successfully managed to turn a simple logo change into a worldwide marketing effort thanks to their 30 days of change campaign. Each day for the past month, the company has released a new logo leading up to the final selection. They even went as far as to use the daily logo on their main page – some of which were rather unusual compared to the overall winner.

Permalink to story.

LOL
wow this logo change makes me think about the Gmail blue April fool!

I cant even tell the difference and it most likely cost them MILLION$$$$

I like it. I definitely like the playfulness of the old logo, but the new one is simpler. They have to lose the Yahoooooo! at the end though... it doesnt work anymore.

I wish they would back date their mail.yahoo portal. My dad has nightmares with their
"new" style they ported a few months ago. So did his neighbor.
I had to switch them to gmail, which so far, they seem to like better.

Cant see the difference... and whats the new one? the one on top?
they should have use "comic sans" or "times new roman" to make a difference :|

Back