Zotac whipping up dual-GPU GTX 460?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Chinese tech site Expreview.com has published pictures of a Zotac-branded video card that packs not one, but two GF104 GPUs -- the same chip that powers the GTX 460. It's unclear whether the company actually plans to sell the "GTX 460 X2" or if it's just a toy prototype, but given the GTX 460's success, we'd sure like to see a dual-GPU edition in action.

Specs are pretty limited but the card has 1GB of GDDR5 VRAM (256-bit interface) per GF104 and Expreview mentions the possibility of a 4GB model. The GPUs are connected internally through an NF200 bridge chip, so it should run fine on non-SLI motherboards. There's also an external SLI connector, meaning quad-SLI should be possible.

The card is powered via two 8-pin PCIe connectors and there's an extra chunk of PCB dedicated to the MOSFETS, solid capacitors and VRMs. Connectivity includes four DVI outputs and one mini-HDMI port. There's no word on pricing, but with Nvidia's recent cuts, we'd expect the dual-GPU GTX 460 to be reasonably priced if it makes it to market.

Permalink to story.

mmm that looks delicious! Does anyone else have an urge to lick the surface of those GPU's?

lol ok a bit weird, but I like what I see.

I doub't this will hit the market, seems like a concept ( hope i'm wrong) but dual Cayman will be out soon, nice consumer market shaping up. With rumors of a driver architecture overhaul for AMD in the near future (BSN) I think i'll stick to dual AMD solutions :) but this is still hot.

It's dual-GPU, so yes, it's already SLI. I also can't wait for this, or nvidias official dual-GPU beast. :D

IAMTHESTIG said:
mmm that looks delicious! Does anyone else have an urge to lick the surface of those GPU's?

That has got to be one of the 'best' 'technolust' comments I've seen for a long time.

Hopefully when this card comes out I'll be able to afford it.

Hey Techspot guys, would you mind adding this one to the Christmas giveaway if it does go retail (I sure hope there IS a Christmas giveaway) :)

How exactly "NF200 bridge chip" support "non-SLI motherboards" ? Anyone have some information about it ?

It's a great move from Zotac. GTX460 it's indeed an amazing card, and 2 of these lilttle monsters should satisfied incredibly well any game request. Can't wait to see a review of the 4GB version!

@Oasis789
It is SLI on one card, but also has an SLI connector so two cards can be teamed up - quad SLI capable, although if this card makes it to retail then I'd expect it to sport a variation of their (Zotac) GTX 480 Amp! cooler -a triple slot solution- which would limit motherboards able to run two cards - PCIex16 spacing, whether the chassis can accomodate the lower card, and SLI licence of course.

The biggest aspect for some would likely be the ability to run Surroundvision/3D surround from one card

How exactly "NF200 bridge chip" support "non-SLI motherboards" ? Anyone have some information about it ?
All dual-GPU nVidia cards (GTX 295, 9800GX2 etc.) utilise the SLI connection within the card. Since the card uses a single PCIe x16 slot, all data travels between CPU and graphics as would a single GPU solution. All communication (alternate frame rendering) is accomplished on the card itself.
Since multiple PCIe motherboard slots aren't required, the motherboard manufacturer does not have to purchase an SLI license to allow the GPU's to "communicate" -since no inter-GPU data travels over the motherboards chipset.

I dont understand why someone would want to go for dual 460 when they can end up buying single 480 card? Maybe for heat and noise or power consumption?

neowing said:
Since the chip works internally inside the card, you won't need a SLI mobo with this card, now, if you wanna go quad-sli with two of these puppies, then you do need the SLI certified board...

@Oasis789
It is SLI on one card, but also has an SLI connector so two cards can be teamed up - quad SLI capable, although if this card makes it to retail then I'd expect it to sport a variation of their (Zotac) GTX 480 Amp! cooler -a triple slot solution- which would limit motherboards able to run two cards - PCIex16 spacing, whether the chassis can accomodate the lower card, and SLI licence of course.

The biggest aspect for some would likely be the ability to run Surroundvision/3D surround from one card

All dual-GPU nVidia cards (GTX 295, 9800GX2 etc.) utilise the SLI connection within the card. Since the card uses a single PCIe x16 slot, all data travels between CPU and graphics as would a single GPU solution. All communication (alternate frame rendering) is accomplished on the card itself.
Since multiple PCIe motherboard slots aren't required, the motherboard manufacturer does not have to purchase an SLI license to allow the GPU's to "communicate" -since no inter-GPU data travels over the motherboards chipset.

Would be good to note that all dual gpu's run in 8x mode which each other.

@dividebyzero
if this card does have a triple slot for cooling, then you'd need 6 pci slots to have 2 of them side-by-side. what mobo would support that?

oasis789 said:
@dividebyzero
if this card does have a triple slot for cooling, then you'd need 6 pci slots to have 2 of them side-by-side. what mobo would support that?

That is when you remove the heatsinks and move to a liquid cooling solution so that you can fit these in your system. Or you know, wait for the 5970 to come out.

Well, I get up to the woah wagon. No need of a new mobo to have two gtx 460. It will sell like hotcakes.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Olivia Munn comes to mind..

Back