This driver is designed for use on Windows 2000 or Windows XP computers that will be directly connected to the printer using a USB cable.
Please note: This driver does not contain "Program Group" functionality.
Caution! The printer's USB cable must be unplugged before proceeding!
Do not plug in the USB cable until instructed to do so below!
Note: The printer must be powered on before proceeding.
1. Create a new folder on the hard drive before downloading the printer driver.
2. Download the driver to the newly created c:\dj3600 folder.
3. Open the c:\dj3600 folder and double-click the downloaded "exe" file to extract the driver files.
Note: The driver file extraction process will create a series of folders under the c:\dj3600 folder that you downloaded the driver file into. Under the "C:\dj3600\3600" folder, a three letter language folder will be displayed which corresponds with the driver language that you downloaded. For example, the English driver (3600_enu_win2k_xpinfu.exe) contains a folder named "enu". This folder was created during the extraction process after double-clicking on the downloaded "exe" file.
4. Connect the USB cable from the PC to the printer.
5. If a Hardware Wizard screen appears, click "Cancel".
Note: If the Hardware wizard does not appear, continue to the next step.
6. From Windows, click "Start", "Settings", "Printers".
7. Next, click "Add Printer".
8. When the Add Printer Wizard screen appears, click "Next".
9. Choose "Local Printer", uncheck "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer", and click "Next".
10. Select Port "USB" and click "Next".
11. In the next window, click the "Have Disk" button.
Note: For the next step, the three letters in the filename (such as "enu" in the following example) will correspond to the language code of the downloaded driver as explained in step 4.
12. Click "Browse" and go to the folder "c:\dj3600\3600\enu\drivers\Win2k_xp". A file, with a filename similar to "hpf3600k.inf", will be displayed. Select the file and click "Open" or "OK".
13. Click "OK" to continue. "hp deskjet 3600 series" will now be found in the Printers column. Click "Next".
Note: If another 3600 Series driver is already installed on this PC, you will be shown a window asking you to decide if you want to keep or replace the existing driver. Make your selection and click "Next"
14. Click "Next" to accept the default printer name (suggested), or rename the printer and click "Next".
15. Select "Yes" or "No" to print a test page and click "Next".
16. To complete the installation process, click "Finish". The printer driver files will now be installed and the hp deskjet 3600 series icon will be added to the "Printers" folder.
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System.
We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
You can check back regularly for the latest updates at TechSpot's Drivers section or stop by our homepage for the best daily coverage of PC technology news on the Web.