FTC says "Can-Spam Act" is effective

By Derek Sooman on December 21, 2005, 4:50 AM
The Federal Trade Commission has released a report claiming that the Can-Spam Act is effective in providing protection for consumers. Some 70 percent of the world's e-mail messages are currently Spam, but that figure is levelling off and the report contends that this is due to the Act. The Act has permitted the pursuit of lawsuits against spammers, as well as bringing other important measures into force. However, are these improvements in the amount of Spam reaching users all down to the Act, or have better filtering technologies and better user awareness been the real reason for the levelling off?

Some critics of Can-Spam, which requires an opt-out approach rather than a stricter "opt in" standard, have even suggested that the law may have increased the amount of junk e-mail. That's because Congress intentionally killed tougher state laws, such as one in California that had required recipients to opt into commercial mailing lists.

vnf4ultra said:
I think the can-spam should require the opt-in approach. That way if I didn't request the email, then I don't get it. I think isp and software spam filters have reduced spam more than can-spam will.
asphix said:
poertner_1274 said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by poertner_1274:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by asphix:[/b][quote]I've been dealing with spam for so long I cant even imagine a world without spam.... I think I'd get depressed due to not having hordes of e-mail to delete every day. I'd feel like I'm unloved or something.[/quote]Will miss the spam, is everything ok in your head? J/KBut I can certainly understand where you are coming from.[/quote]You guys are funny. I think the only people who will seriously miss spam are the people who don't have a life and say to their friends, look i have 35 messages. Where 34 are spam, and 1 is a message from MSN.
Masque said:
Personally, I've seen a rise in the spam I get....not sure why (no, Poert.....it's not a self-inflicted wound :P).
PanicX said:
Can't say that I've noticed any difference in SPAM levels. SPAM filter accuracy has been getting better, but as long as people purchase item's that are SPAM'd into their inbox's; there's going to be SPAM.
Bartzy said:
70% of emails are SPAM ? It's terrible.Actually, Gmail's filters are great. I'm not getting many SPAM and those who infiltrate are not so bad :) On a private POP3 account, the situation is worse. Every second mail is SPAM :[color=red][i]Watch your language. We don't tolerate swearing here.--Mictlantecuhtli[/i][/color]
Eleventeen said:
For some reason, I dont get any spam on my hotmail account. I like it alot. Heck, I use that for almost everything I do on the internet. I guess hotmail is just really good in controlling spam. On my other account, Verizon, its completely unbearable. I get atleast 5-10 emails everyday and in no time my mailbox is full. Makes me sick.