Seagate ships 160GB notebook drive

By Derek Sooman on January 17, 2006, 1:10 PM
As a laptop lover, itís music to my ears to hear that the venerable Seagate has released and begun to ship a 160GB notebook drive. The drive utilises the perpendicular recording technology, and operates at 5,400rpm. Known as the Momentus 5400.3, the drive aims to minimise power requirements and extend battery life. It uses an Ultra ATA 100 MB/second interface. There is a SATA version planned for release later in this year.

PanicX said:
The bigger the better. When I carry my laptop around, I often find that I'll need a CD for some random reason, but instead of carring around another bag with all my CD's, I carry a few blanks and store the ISO's on my hard disk. This will give me a lot more space to carry a lot more software around.
Cy6erpuke said:
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks Seagate! No reason why mobile should always come with so many compromises.
phantasm66 said:
I am buying one for sure.
Eleventeen said:
160GB is pretty big. Infact, that's the size of my current hard drive in my desktop. This would be a major help for those seeking music collections on their laptops, let alone the video that some people store. It's made by Seagate, that's a huge plus for me. If I ever get a laptop, I'll be sure to get one of these.
exscind said:
Good to see the 160GB laptop drive finally out. Seagate has always been a reliable company, and the warranty is excellent. And yes, one of the reasons why I have always tried to avoid notebooks is because of the extra "accessories" that almost seems mandated; CDs/DVDs or even an external hard drive for extra storage is a must unless the laptop is for very casual use only. I just hope the hard drive isn't horrendously overpriced.
gamingmage said:
This is BIG and the size and power usage will both be big selling points. This is great for laptop users who have a need for large storage.
YAMO! said:
YAY! I've been looking for a >80gb drive for ages for work. This will help extend the life of my notebook... as long as it's affordable?!
otmakus said:
This sure is a big news for laptop users. Too bad Seagate doesn't seem to plan on making desktop HD with perpendicular technology anytime soon. I've heard that with the technology, 1TB HD will be possible. Now that's a big space.
Mictlantecuhtli said:
luismigilbert said:
i'll wait for 160gb/7200rpm hard disk. Those extra rpm really improove performance... specially in laptops..PanicX, let me suggest you an external USB2.0 drive..you may carry it on your laptop briefcase..
Nodsu said:
7200RPM also means a lot more power consumption. Up to 30% more. Not to mention noise.
PanicX said:
mentaljedi said:
[b]Originally posted by PanicX:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli:[/b][quote]If that will bring the smaller hdd prices down, I'll upgrade my current 30 GB drive.[/quote]30 GB? You're so funny![/quote]You think thats funny? i have 40GB on my DESKTOP! I only got it 5 years ago too so there you go!