VMware introduces free server virtualization software

By Derek Sooman on February 6, 2006, 3:25 PM
VMware, Inc., who make the coolest application in the world in my opinion, have decided to introduce a free new entry-level hosted virtualization product for Linux and Windows. VMware Server, the successor to VMware GSX Server, is loaded up with features, including support for any standard x86 hardware; support for a wide variety of Linux and Windows host operating systems, including 64-bit operating systems; support for a wide variety of Linux, NetWare, Solaris x86 and Windows guest operating systems, including 64-bit operating systems; support for Virtual SMP, enabling a single virtual machine to span multiple physical processors.

VMware is releasing a beta version of its VMware Server for free. The company's successor to its existing commercial VMware GSX Server, the new VMware Server for Linux and Windows will enable multiple operating systems to run concurrently, while enabling network administrators to test new operating systems and configurations with significantly reduced fear.

nathanskywalker said:
Yes!!! i haven't used VMware yet, but just downloaded it, and i am so going to try it and see how it works. I like the idea, almost ingenious.... A virtual machine that takes the beating and allows your machine to stay nice and safe, very cool.
AeonXX said:
Iíve seen VMware in action, and itís definitely the way to go for testing and education. If only I had access to this during my college classes, it was just being implemented after I left. I saw it work, and it was mind-blowing, I still donít know exactly how it works; it sounds like voodoo magic.
Eko said:
This movement is logical, after the announcement of AMD and Intel to offer virtualization technology included in their new processors starting this year. To make a parallel, just consider the position took by Opera, making their browser free, to attack another part of IE's users, which haven't enjoyed Mozilla, but weren't willing to pay to get rid of ads.In my opinion, this technology will help a lot in the fight against malicious software, I think it's easier to let the virtual machine take the punches, and play it nice and safe on the Internet at the same time. But this may bring some major disadvantaged for commercial software as well: being able to run a Linux OS under Windows can show the average user how easy it can be to switch from commercial software to the free based one. I hope that they make a final version free for private use, so that everyone may enjoy the benefits of virtualization technology.However, if the two processor making giants will be able to produce also resembling software for use with their chips, packed into the motherboard driver disks, the future of the VMWare company can become restless... Just imagine that installing from your MOBO CD a small program allows you to have access to the same technology for free!!!
Vaulden said:
Nice. My co-worker has used Microsoft Virtual Machine before. But this... this one can run on Linux. I will definitely look at this one. I've wanted to do some testing here at the office and this should allow me to do what I want w/o losing my production environment or having to mess with another (most likely slower) PC.
jaklyn1055 said:
Okay, I'm an *****. What exactly does VMware do?
barfarf said:
VMare allows you to run different operating system to run as the "SAME" time. Kind of like dual booting with say Windows XP and Windows 98 or Red Hat except you dont need to restart the computer each time to go into a different OS.Read below for more info.VMware Server Beta[url]http://www.vmware.com/products/server/[/url]Compare to other Server Products[url]http://www.vmware.com/products/server_comp.html
/url]