Dell says computer market is slowing

By Justin Mann on September 16, 2008, 2:05 PM
HP isn't the only giant announcing bad news for their employees, being followed by Dell in their announcement this morning to cut a large number of jobs. While Dell hasn't explicitly said they are axing employees, they did publish a press release this morning that describes a drop in demand for computer systems, which they claim is affecting their business.

They don't mention if it is enterprise, office or home markets that are “softening” the most. They do mention that the trend will result in Dell taking action if it continues, which of course would mean job cuts among other things.

KingDingDong said:
Dell does not care abouts its employees, I used to work one in Nashville, the biggest sales center for consumer and corporate accounts. Thats the first thing they will cut when they do it.
aolish said:
i dont really think any company cares about there employees... its quite sad.
space_cowboy said:
Well Duh Dell!!! The economy in general has been slowing. It's natural that people are going to spend their money on more important things. These big corporations need to get a grip on reality.
ccc200150 said:
While Dell pays decent $$$ for all their expats around the world, company suffered a negative margin in their most products -- Consumer NB and DT,since a company from a small town trust only Texas staff . Consumer NB led by Ron /former Motorola SVP and Alex /ex-SVP of HP consumer NB celebrates 40% of unit up-sale and at the same time, their staff also contributed a 13-14% OPEX. I can not say Dell does not care employee.
KingDingDong said:
Eddie_42 said:
[b]Originally posted by KingDingDong:[/b][quote]Obviously you never worked for dell and if so give me your job. I have a masters from purdue university and was being paid 11.92$ an hour. Just look up the open court case against dell (which i am in) about illegal compensation and unethical business practices, and tell me what you think then. [/quote]If you have a masters from Purdue, and you accepted a job for less then 12/hr, thats your own fault. Dell is a major corporation, they are not going to give the people at the bottom of the totem pole the best treatment, in their eyes 'your replaceable', you'll get the same from any major corp. In dwindling times such as these, the 'expendable' people get shown the door, next are those with bad performance/reviews. Yes I know 'but its my job, now what', but you have to look at it from dells point of view. Why pay thousands of employees if you don't have the revenue to support them, thats what causes bankruptcy.
KingDingDong said:
Thats job was not was I signed my contact for. I signed my contact as a manager on the corporate sales side of the divisoin on salary, but was put on the phones with joe smoe selling desktops at 11$ an hour. Thats part of the reason dell is being taken to court by more then 4000 other employees at the present time, and thats why I left with in 3 months and now work for another company.But yes in the end no company really cares about its employees, it just so happens that tech companies are the worst of the bunch.