Weekend tech reading: Good-Bye XP. Hello Windows 7

By on March 29, 2009, 9:58 AM
Good-Bye XP. Hello Windows 7 Microsoft has wanted to kill Windows XP for years. There was only one problem. The users refused to let it die. Now, that Windows 7 is almost ready to go, Microsoft is, once more, trying to ax XP. ComputerWorld.
More details on the upcoming RC here. And how to install in dual-boot config.

Canadians find vast computer spy network Canadian researchers have uncovered a vast electronic spying operation that infiltrated computers and stole documents from government and private offices around the world, including those of the Dalai Lama, The New York Times reported on Saturday. Reuters.

Verizon Confirms Plans to Sell Netbooks Verizon Wireless is entering the netbook market with plans to sell 3G-equipped versions of the tiny laptops in its stores as early as next month. Internet News.

Is Facebook Growing Up Too Fast? When Facebook signed up its 100 millionth member last August, its employees spread out in two parks in Palo Alto, Calif., for a huge barbecue. Sometime this week, this five-year-old start-up, born in a dorm room at Harvard, expects to register its 200 millionth user. NY Times.

What a difference a decade makes: Barron’s proclaims Amazon best retailer Reading Barron’s cover story on Amazon where the publication loves damn near everything about the e-tailer—the cash flow, the business model, the cloud services, the marketplace for third party sellers and even the Kindle—and you can’t help but flash back to a decade ago where it was dubbed Amazon.bomb. ZDNet.

Wendig0 said:
It only makes sense that the Chinese are spying on the Dalai Llama's computer network given the problems that China has with Tibet. I wouldn't put it past China to do something like that at all... That is of course unless someone (another country perhaps) is trying to set China up to take the blame... Interesting story. I wonder what other countries were affected by the "spy network"?
DarkCobra said:
Well I'm running Vista 64bit Home Premium and "finally" got it running smoothly after a lot of adjusting and even some registry hacking. As much as I hate to see XP go (which I came to love as well) the truth is it can't go on forever. However, I think it would be prudent for MS to at least keep it going for a bit longer "AFTER" Windows 7 launches because not everyone is an early adopter and it takes time for people to migrate out of a comfortable old pair of shoes over to a new pair even if the new pair are OK.
yukka said:
The Windows 7 reports are pretty insubstantial don't you think? The Cnet report moans about Windows (all versions) not shutting down properly and thats about it, the dual boot guide was released in January and the other report is from February. That leaves the leaked mention of a date this year for Windows 7 to be released but not alot else.Certainly not worthy of the leading header - "Good-Bye XP. Hello Windows 7". I thought some actual facts about MS putting a date on XPs demise but thats just assumption in the case of these reports rather than any quoted fact.
Julio said:
tengeta said:
First they push XP through on a ton of netbooks, then decide to cut it dry...I've been defensive of you lately Microsoft, but that is going to get you sued again.
DarkCobra said:
A good point tengeta . . . XP was perfect for all those netbooks they got people to buy. Now they announce the end of support for the system. MS seems to have a knack for getting into one legal mess after another. I doubt many of those netbooks are powerful enough to really run Vista or Windows 7 without trouble. So what happens to all those folks? Yet, another reason to add to what I said above that MS had better keep the support going for XP for a good while longer.
Julio said:
I wonder though, who uses XP's "free support" from Microsoft nowadays anyway?
DarkCobra said:
People with XP . . .
yukka said:
[b]Originally posted by Julio:[/b][quote][b]Originally posted by yukka:[/b][quote]The Windows 7 reports are pretty insubstantial don't you think? The Cnet report moans about...[/quote]My apologies to everyone, I included the wrong URL which was supposed to go to an article at Computerworld regarding XP's end of life (again) and Windows 7 taking over with a public RC release this May.[/quote]Aha I thought something was amiss. Now to read the tasty details..