Download of the Week: SIW (System Information for Windows)

By on July 10, 2009, 4:53 PM
SIW (System Information for Windows) is a free and full-featured tool for Windows which gathers detailed information about your systemís software, hardware and network, and presents it in a very comprehensible manner. It displays everything from the CPU clock and technology to RAM frequency, BIOS and Windows version, license information for installed programs and a lot more.

It also offers a sensors feature to check on your componentsí temperatures, a password retrieval tool, and real-time monitors for processor, memory, page file usage, and network traffic. The end result can be exported as a report file to HTML, CSV, XML or text Ė the last three supported only in the paid version. Despite being loaded with plenty of features, SIW requires very little resources to run and retrieves information within seconds.

SIW can be downloaded with the Windows Installer or as a standalone program (use alternate mirror) that requires no installation, which makes it an excellent tool to have on your flash drive.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Slick little utility...

Thanks again for these "Downloads o' da Week." Really good stuff and I routinely pass them on to all my techno-nerd friends.

tengeta tengeta said:

So basically a CPU-Z that puts CPU-Z to shame. I like it! Thanks!

arkantos said:

another great apps i can use to check pc specs. thank you TS.

TBolt said:

Wow...what an app. Anything you want to know about your PC and hardware, this little jewel will display. Very nice. Thanks for the link Jose and TS!

camuss15 camuss15 said:

I have used this program for years actually. It is fantastic, because you can put it on a flash drive and run it on any computer. I use it to help people out when they ask me what upgrades they can do on their machine. It pretty much gives all the information I could ever need without pulling the side panel off or researching anything.

Captain828 Captain828 said:

The 'Secrets' thing is nice.

NunjaBusiness said:

Ditto!

First program that goes on every PC I have to support.

Makes upgrades to RAM etc. easy as pie!

Not to mention the product keys and such are available to print for safe-keeping.

stayzzhard said:

I'm a TOTAL "newb" to the pc world,but this app is soo kool..lol even got my gurlfriends passwords thru the "secrets" tab...really good app.good post......Maybe really learn sum ting by using this app...thanks guys..

JDoors JDoors said:

Thanks for the post. I recently had to start over and had forgotten 'bout this one.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

This is a really good program

I friend recommended it to me like 2 years ago, so it is by now a quite well tested and used software

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

This is a fantastic app that I have been using for about 2 years.

I believe the creator is also a member of TechSpot, under the name gtopala. I could be wrong though.

Nirkon said:

Yeah i've been using it for a year or two already, its great!

Never noticed the Secrets button by the way, and not the Eureka! one either.

Actually quite scared me that anyone with this tool on my comp could see my messenger password within seconds, I don't use that password that much but its linked with at least 2 more web applications.

With the Eureka! button you can also see passwords in internet explorer, don't know why that's still possible, it doesn't work with firefox, why should it work with IE?! Shame Microsoft!

TJGeezer said:

Amazing and efficient utility. Among the best of TC's weekly DLs. The only drawback I experienced in using it was that it didn't find my car keys, but that's okay, my wife did that just fine.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

I'm glad you guys like our "Download of the Week" feature. We're always open to suggestions on new software worth checking out or alternatives to the ones we recommend.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

I love this utility. Been using it for several years now.

I downloaded SIW from the alternate mirror.

On double clicking, I get

.......\siw.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

I run Windows XP SP2.

arkantos said:

try to redownload it might be corrupted.

gobbybobby said:

Just downloaded. I LOVE IT.

I've tried umpteen times to download this little app and each time it croaks at some stage before the download is completed. Have tried various computers and browsers and have just about given up. Is there a problem with their server?