Kmart lists PS3 Slim for $300, announcement imminent?

By on August 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
Update: Sony has confirmed that the long-rumored PlayStation 3 Slim will be in stores the first week of September, priced at $299.99. It will be 33 percent smaller, 36 percent lighter, and should retain all the features and functions of current PS3 consoles but with a 120GB drive. Check out some images after the break.

Rumors of a slimmed-down, cheaper version of the PlayStation 3 have been all but confirmed today. While Sony has yet to make an official announcement, both Kmart.com and Sears.com (which are owned by the same company) have begun putting order pages up for the new console priced at an all-time low of $300.

An ad on Kmart’s website states that “the rumors are reality” and proclaims the arrival of a “new low price and a new exciting PlayStation 3.” Furthermore, the preorder page describes a PS3 Slim model with a 120GB hard drive and a Blu-ray player. The release date? Less than a week from now, on August 24. However, given that retailers are probably sitting on a stockpile of current-generation PS3s, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this date pushed back a little bit.

A recently leaked banner ad from entertainment media retailer FYE could be an indication of this. The ad describes a new low price for current models “while supplies last,” cutting the price of the 80GB console to $300 (down from $400) and the 160GB version to $400 (from $500). Whatever the case may be, we’ll probably know for sure later today when Sony is slated to begin its press conference at GamesCom.

Oh come on ! It's $299

sundewzer sundewzer said:

Damn, now I will have to get a bigger entertainment center!

MrAnderson said:

You are kidding right? 300 USD for a system that takes up way less room, has blu-ray, and cheaper that the 80GB HD unit? If they have a cheaper unit which I don't think is necessary I think they are good. Unless you were just being sarcastic considering it is 50 bucks more than Wii at that price. Nintendo might lower their prices considering both Microsoft and Sony can now provide a lot more punch at a similar price. I'd be happy, I can buy my parents a new Wii instead of giving them mine!

tengeta tengeta said:

That can't seriously be a Sony device... Sony may make overpriced crap but it at least usually LOOKS GOOD. I have Ethernet switches prettier than that.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I liked the stylish look of the original PS3...this looks like a piece of crap. Sony's obsession with re-releases just for size is something that has always annoyed me. The last Sony product I actually enjoyed owning was my Trinitron SD tv...

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

How can you two say the original was stylish, it looked like it was designed by an asian 12 year old on acid. And this one is ugly? Lol, Its the same design as the original, its just not as long and has a less concord like design, its just shorter and less curvy.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

supersmashbrada said:

On acid huh? Can't say I agree, but okay. Yes, you're description of what is different about it is what I dislike about it. I will say I did also like the shine of the original PS3 better. I should point out I don't really care that much about the design, and if I were a playstation fan it wouldn't stop me from considering the purchase, although it's still a negative aspect for me personally.

teklord teklord said:

Hopefully they will make a cheaper PS3 slim with smaller hard drive so you can replace it yourself for a bigger one. Smart move by Sony to finally make this.

totally x-box fan,,huhhhhhhh,,oh well Sony is all way better than Microsoft, is crap!!!!!!!!

Twister123 Twister123 said:

Its 100 euro or dollars [depending where on the planet you reside] cheaper , its smaller , uses less power , has new cell processor as well , it may even be faster [link] , looks aren't everything , I'm not looking to get up on it , or violate its usb port . and its quieter .

Twister123 Twister123 said:

its will be minus one feature its big brother has users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system

but the new PS3 system is also equipped with the Bravia® Sync? feature. By connecting the new PS3 system and a Bravia TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include System Standby that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the Bravia TV is turned off.