Pioneer console Sega Dreamcast turns 10

By Justin Mann on September 9, 2009, 4:27 PM
Consoles have come a long way in a short time, evolving alongside computers as one of the center pieces for video game entertainment. As the line between computer and console begins to blur, it's easy to forget just how far the console has journeyed. A good reminder of that came this week, when the Sega Dreamcast turned ten years old.

The much-hyped console was highly anticipated by gaming communities all over the world, but it ended up proving to be a disaster for Sega as a company, as it was their last console endeavor. Even though it was a commercial failure, the console pioneered many of the ideas that are common among modern consoles.

The idea of an Internet-connected gaming console was first realized with the Dreamcast, which came stock with a built-in dial-up modem and featured one of the first console web browsers. Along with the PC, it was one of a very few hardware devices that allowed people to play games with each other online. The Dreamcast also had a controller design that is suspiciously similar to the Xbox 360's -- though that may be just a coincidence.

Though other consoles quickly surpassed the Dreamcast, including the current most popular console in the world (PlayStation 2), it was an example of high technology at the time and is curious to look back on.

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

What a great console

Mine's still going, and I always enjoy breaking it out every so often for a fix. I've grown to love it's quirkyness, like the noises from the GD-ROM spooling up, and the laser assembly.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

The original xbox controller was modeled after the dreamcast controller right down to the memory card being in the controller. The 360 controller is a refinement of the xbox type s.

I was always an N64 man but the Dreamcast really was the superior console in terms of hardware. It's a shame it did so poorly.

tengeta tengeta said:

I gave my Dreamcast collection a good visit yesterday, man the graphics have fallen to time but still manage to be pretty good. I even went through most of Jet Grind Radio again... that game was awesome.

Hello,

FYI,, It didnt do poorly dur to lack of software, it did poorly due to the fact that Sony hyped there ps2 and @ the same time Sega could not keep up the demand for the console due to shortage of stock inventory

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I still have mine up and running - it still hooked up to an old CRT I have via a VGA-Box. I really love my Dreamcast. Unfortunately the battery is dead so I have to reset the date/time constantly.

Sega Dreamcast was built for the hardcore gamers in mind. Sega Dreamcast will always be considered the BEST console ever made during it time. 500k units sold in first day of launch in gaming history. remember, wat killed Sega was hype from Sony

Badfinger said:

I have working (still) Dreamcast also, Hydro Thunder & Demolition Racer No Exit still great fun to play.

10 years already? Doesn't seem that long?!?

maddmatt02 said:

you could actually play multiplayer online through dial-up? I have a hard enough time through a 1 Mb/sec connection sometimes, of course games are way more intensive now, but still, 53 Kb/sec...

gingerbill said:

shame sega never made another console , dreamcast was a good machine , built to last as everyone i know who had one there's still works , including mine. I don't remember many killer titles though which couldn't have helped it.

Gingerbill,What about Metro street racer,Ferrari Challenge,Jet set racer+many more great games?Sony killed the Dreamcast.Nice people!

T77 T77 said:

consoles are the future,becoming all in one entertainment hub