Microsoft releases sponsored themes for Windows 7

By on October 22, 2009, 2:30 PM
Microsoft has released a number of new free themes to accompany the launch of its Windows 7 operating system. I can't say that I'm particularly fond of the themes and desktop backgrounds packaged with Windows 7, nor do I like the idea of branding my PC with Coca-Cola's logo -- but, for those who are interested head over to the Personalization Gallery.

The sponsored themes range from luxury car manufacturers like Ferrari and Porsche to beverage companies Pepsi and Coke, as well as Microsoft's own brands Bing and Zune. There are also about 20 nation-specific themes too, which includes most major countries.

While the themes are exclusive to Windows 7 users, anyone can download a wallpaper in the Personalization Gallery. The blog I Started Something notes that it won't be long before other companies offer themes as an opportunity to promote their products and brands.

If you have another location for Windows 7 themes or even a favorite source for wallpapers, share them with us in the comments.

My favorite spot for wallpapers: http://www.deviantart.com/

It's nice to see new themes for Windows, I for one am sick of the same old same old stuff, some variety will be welcome.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Heh...some themes are pretty cool, but these are just blatant advertisements. You want me to advertise your product, you gotta cut me a check.

I think this is fine. Nothing wrong with Microsoft and other companies teaming up to advertise and provide nice looking backgrounds at the same time. If the pictures are pretty enough I don't care if I see a logo in the corner.

I use to like the art of greg martin, http://artofgregmartin.com/. He use to make a lot of breathtaking scenes of Space (planets and nebulas and stuff). However, it looks like hes more into photography now.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

Some of my favorite wallpaper sites: interfacelift.com, mandolux.com, digitalblasphemy.com, socwall.com

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I actually have a Mountain Dew theme I made with wallpaper from interfacelift. I do it to give myself a mental caffeine fix.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

These aren't themes per se, but I've found that they make pretty cool desktops - a little on the mature side though. [link]

hynesy hynesy said:

I must say I really the Porsche and Ferrari themes, damn those cars are nice.

What I also like is the way MS made Windows 7 and the ability to create your own themes.

This allows companies make themes for there products and host them directly on there site.