Microsoft releases sponsored themes for Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has released a number of new free themes to accompany the launch of its Windows 7 operating system. I can't say that I'm particularly fond of the themes and desktop backgrounds packaged with Windows 7, nor do I like the idea of branding my PC with Coca-Cola's logo -- but, for those who are interested head over to the Personalization Gallery.

The sponsored themes range from luxury car manufacturers like Ferrari and Porsche to beverage companies Pepsi and Coke, as well as Microsoft's own brands Bing and Zune. There are also about 20 nation-specific themes too, which includes most major countries.

While the themes are exclusive to Windows 7 users, anyone can download a wallpaper in the Personalization Gallery. The blog I Started Something notes that it won't be long before other companies offer themes as an opportunity to promote their products and brands.

If you have another location for Windows 7 themes or even a favorite source for wallpapers, share them with us in the comments.

Permalink to story.

My favorite spot for wallpapers: http://www.deviantart.com/

It's nice to see new themes for Windows, I for one am sick of the same old same old stuff, some variety will be welcome.

Heh...some themes are pretty cool, but these are just blatant advertisements. You want me to advertise your product, you gotta cut me a check. ;)

I think this is fine. Nothing wrong with Microsoft and other companies teaming up to advertise and provide nice looking backgrounds at the same time. If the pictures are pretty enough I don't care if I see a logo in the corner.

I use to like the art of greg martin, http://artofgregmartin.com/. He use to make a lot of breathtaking scenes of Space (planets and nebulas and stuff). However, it looks like hes more into photography now.

Some of my favorite wallpaper sites: interfacelift.com, mandolux.com, digitalblasphemy.com, socwall.com

I actually have a Mountain Dew theme I made with wallpaper from interfacelift. I do it to give myself a mental caffeine fix.

What I also like is the way MS made Windows 7 and the ability to create your own themes.
This allows companies make themes for there products and host them directly on there site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back