Matrox's M9188 graphics card drives eight displays simultaneously

By on November 12, 2009, 7:03 PM
Matrox has announced the world's first single-slot PCIe x16 graphics card with support for up to eight monitors. With 2GB of dedicated memory, the Matrox M9188 can drive up to eight DisplayPort monitors at 2560x1600 or DVI Single-Link at 1920x1200 per display from a single computer. The card is compatible with 32 and 64-bit iterations of Windows XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003 and 2008, as well as Linux.

If eight monitors aren't enough, you can stuff another M9188 into the same system (provided there is a second PCIe x16 slot) and attach up to 16 displays. The card offers various desktop management features, such as independent or stretched desktop modes. Matrox designed the M9188 with energy, transportation, process control, financial trading, and other mission-critical environments in mind.

The company plans to start shipping the M9188 at some point during this quarter, and it's priced at $1,995 -- a fraction of what eight large-screen PC monitors would cost, mind you.

BlindObject said:

No detailed specs on it? And that's pretty ridiculous, I could see this useful with security systems and...I don't know what else, actually. Good stuff though, no doubt.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I didn't see too much beyond what I noted in the article. You can take a look at the card's page here (also the last link in the TechSpot post): [link]

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I have no idea how i would really even use that effectively, yet I still want it.

BlindObject said:

Wow, now I see how many useful uses, lol! Thing must have crazy clocks.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I really miss the fact that Matrox does not make a gaming graphics cards anymore. My G400 Max is still one of my favorite videocards of all time.

freedomthinker said:

Man Matrox is awesome , but sad they don't make gaming cards anymore , why aren't there any specs on this anyway ? Man but still looks freaking sweet !!!

Puiu Puiu said:

AMD made something good and now others follow. I wonder what will NVIDIA's response going to be (besides praising CUDA and Physx).

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lol who really needs 8 displays? its a cool concept but will not sell very well imo.

tonylukac said:

Just wouldn't have room for all those monitors in the condo I live in.

Souljacker Souljacker said:

It's obviously for business purposes, i.e. offices, trade floors etc, and NOT a casual user or gamer!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

But the real question is... how many fps would it get on Crysis with 8 monitors at 2560x1600? Not more than 3 I bet

Puiu Puiu said:

klepto12 said:

For security systems with multiple cameras? If you can hook up 8/16 monitors to just one PC than it would make managing them much more easier.

Captain555 said:

Flight Simulator. My friend built one. He has 7 monitors. 2 in front, 2 on each side and one front center lower for his instrument. He has to have 4 video card in his PC. That would be useful on this case.

Didn't know Matrox still made video cards, last one i saw was a G400 way back around 2000. Obvously these aren't cards for multimedia or games, i'm sure there are situations where these solutions can be useful, like surveillance systems.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

This cost me only $800 to build and displays 8 monitors. The MB has 4 PCI-e video slots. (Can't remember the model)

Zeromus said:

This is simply not enough, I have a ka-jillion monitors I need used all at once.

phutton11 said:

Wow - Short on imagination. Think about simulators - 3 monitors for outside windows, 2 for main cockpit instruments and 3 more for smaller (8") cockpit entry panels.

It's only a short time before we start to see some really sweet combat cockpits for simulated fighters, tank commanders, castle commanders, space ships, etc. All being controlled by a single Intel i7 system or even better a Parallax Propeller Chip (8 Processor CPU).

The next step forward. #1 - Build the processor power; #2 - Grow the working memory; #3 - Imrpove the image engines; #4 - Expand the comm pipelines; #5 - Build the sensory cocoon.

Imagination at work!