Matrox's M9188 graphics card drives eight displays simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Matrox has announced the world's first single-slot PCIe x16 graphics card with support for up to eight monitors. With 2GB of dedicated memory, the Matrox M9188 can drive up to eight DisplayPort monitors at 2560x1600 or DVI Single-Link at 1920x1200 per display from a single computer. The card is compatible with 32 and 64-bit iterations of Windows XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003 and 2008, as well as Linux.

If eight monitors aren't enough, you can stuff another M9188 into the same system (provided there is a second PCIe x16 slot) and attach up to 16 displays. The card offers various desktop management features, such as independent or stretched desktop modes. Matrox designed the M9188 with energy, transportation, process control, financial trading, and other mission-critical environments in mind.

The company plans to start shipping the M9188 at some point during this quarter, and it's priced at $1,995 -- a fraction of what eight large-screen PC monitors would cost, mind you.

Permalink to story.

No detailed specs on it? And that's pretty ridiculous, I could see this useful with security systems and...I don't know what else, actually. Good stuff though, no doubt.

I really miss the fact that Matrox does not make a gaming graphics cards anymore. My G400 Max is still one of my favorite videocards of all time.

Man Matrox is awesome , but sad they don't make gaming cards anymore , why aren't there any specs on this anyway ? Man but still looks freaking sweet !!!

AMD made something good and now others follow. I wonder what will NVIDIA's response going to be (besides praising CUDA and Physx).

But the real question is... how many fps would it get on Crysis with 8 monitors at 2560x1600? Not more than 3 I bet

klepto12 said:
lol who really needs 8 displays? its a cool concept but will not sell very well imo.
For security systems with multiple cameras? If you can hook up 8/16 monitors to just one PC than it would make managing them much more easier.

Flight Simulator. My friend built one. He has 7 monitors. 2 in front, 2 on each side and one front center lower for his instrument. He has to have 4 video card in his PC. That would be useful on this case.

Didn't know Matrox still made video cards, last one i saw was a G400 way back around 2000. Obvously these aren't cards for multimedia or games, i'm sure there are situations where these solutions can be useful, like surveillance systems.

Wow - Short on imagination. Think about simulators - 3 monitors for outside windows, 2 for main cockpit instruments and 3 more for smaller (8") cockpit entry panels.

It's only a short time before we start to see some really sweet combat cockpits for simulated fighters, tank commanders, castle commanders, space ships, etc. All being controlled by a single Intel i7 system or even better a Parallax Propeller Chip (8 Processor CPU).

The next step forward. #1 - Build the processor power; #2 - Grow the working memory; #3 - Imrpove the image engines; #4 - Expand the comm pipelines; #5 - Build the sensory cocoon.

Imagination at work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back