YouTube getting 1080p video next week

By Justin Mann on November 13, 2009, 11:11 AM
It wasn't all that long ago when YouTube moved past the grainy, low-resolution limitations they started with and began offering "High Quality" video streaming. With high-speed broadband becoming ubiquitous and capable of supporting higher quality streams, people want more -- and Google is set to deliver. Starting next week, YouTube will begin offering the ability to upload and stream 1080p resolution videos, making fullscreen YouTube a pleasing possibility.

Users have already delivered 1080p content to YouTube, but it has always been re-encoded to be scaled down. Rather than make users go back and re-upload anything, YouTube is going to automatically sort through their entire library and bump up any content that is 1080p to the full viewing experiencing, upgrading from the existing maximum of 720p.

Though not all of their over one billion videos served up each day are going to be in high quality, it does bring to mind how they plan on making money with ever-increasing bandwidth costs. That is, without charging people for the service.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Right on. Getting tired of watching YouTube videos where you could barely tell what was going on because the quality was awful. If the technology is available, then let's use it!

treeski treeski said:

"...YouTube is going to automatically sort through their entire library and bump up any content that is 1080p to the full viewing experiencing..."

That's a great move. I think Youtube is due for an overhaul, and this is a good start!

windmill007 said:

There current HD looked decent but sometimes streaming was slow. I hope they payed the bills on more bandwidth and storage space cuz there gonna need it.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

It's still flash based video.

Stonos said:

YouTube should really get rid of Flash and make their own hardware accelerated player (like the DivX Web Player Stage6 used to have), or switch to Silverlight with Smooth Streaming (watch an example here: [link] ) so that their users don't need an i7 processor to watch a HD video.

Anshrew said:

Eh, I'll see it when it's released, but is Youtube technically 720p even now?

When I run a game windowed at 1280x720, it takes up more screen space than "Youtube HD"

So it's not actually 720p since it does not actually have 1280x720 pixels, correct?

a lot of misinformation in this thread.

first off, youtube has had h.264/aac audio for well over a year now, so there is absolutely no need for divx or silverlight.

and yes, youtube has also been encoding in 720p for awhile as well.

freedomthinker said:

Well this is quite pleasing , but for me this kinda sucks ;D , i have an old desktop the GeForce 5500 FX ;DDD . So yeah and plus my motherboard is kinda shitty so . this is bad news for my PC ;D

limpangel limpangel said:

I can barelly watch the 720p videos with all the bandwidth throtling they are doing in my country. It's like back in the old days when you opened a video and you had to wait a while to load it and then play it. Now with 1080p I can enjoy a snack too before I can whatch it.

KG363 KG363 said:

How are they going to make money? They already make very little profit if any. This is only going to further put youtube in the red.

teklord teklord said:

HD content is slow as dirt on my P4 and I have cable internet. 1080P will be unwatchable, I don't watch any HD as it is.

Don't stress over having an older PC, you'll still be able to watch the low res videos, but the option to view 1080p will be there.

T77 T77 said:

i don't think high speed broadband is all that ubiquitous all over the world.

it takes a hell lot of time to download that video here in India!

pizzada pizzada said:

Thanks for passing this on, Justin.

Puiu Puiu said:

I'm barely managing the 720p ones. Laptop CPU + wireless = shitty performance. But they did say that Intel's 4th generation of graphics series will support acceleration (i have 4500m) so all i need now are the drivers.