Corsair intros 2250MHz Dominator GTX DDR3 modules

By on December 3, 2009, 1:30 PM
Corsair is no stranger to the world of premium, high-performance DDR3 RAM. Their Dominator line has long been the memory of choice for many PC enthusiasts and gamers alike, and now they are looking to cement their position in this market with a new GTX variant capable of operating at a staggering 2,250MHz, with latencies of 8-8-8-24 and within the 1.65V threshold required by Core i5 and i7 systems.

The company achieved these numbers using a two-module configuration on an Intel P55 system. Going for a triple channel setup on an X58 system will involve stepping down the clock speed to 2,133MHz, which is still on par with some of the fastest modules in the market today. The Dominator GTX modules will also operate at up to 1800MHz with 6-6-6-18 latencies on Socket AM3 motherboards for AMD Phenom II processors.

They will feature a "unique DHX+ heatsink" with extra-tall cooling fins, and rather than being offered in kits, Corsair will sell these modules individually from its online store starting next week. The company made no mention of pricing, but of course you can expect them to come with a hefty premium.

RealXboxMaster said:

This is just plain overkill. Whats the point ? So people can see how far they can push there hardware.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Check out Techspots review on RAM [link] They did an excellent job showing that RAM speed has almost not effect on performance for almost all applications. Spend your money elsewhere!

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lol is this a joke who need 2250 mhz ram? get some 1600 and call it good there is almost no difference in speed what so ever.

KG363 KG363 said:

my guess is $380 for a 6GB set

ryan29121 said:

This is definitely rich people. Looks really nice as always.

Serag said:

I almost forgot about that review..thanks compdata

yea after a certain point..such clock speed and latency doesn't affect performance at all

fref said:

I bet most people who buy this won't even be able to overclock their system to actually reach that maximum speed and keep it stable. Waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

PUTALE said:

nice speed bump thought current core i7 really does not beneift from such high ram spee duntil you start to oc. I wonder when will we see ddr4 or ddr5

Afenix said:

Holy cow!! Isnt that a bit.. too much? I have corsair dominator myself (the 1600 fanless model) and i will be clocking them to 2000 mhz as soon as i get a fan, but 2250Mhz? i cant see any software which could use the potential of that.. I mean some programs hardly use up a 1333...

kaonis92 said:

This obviously fits in to the "unreachable" category...High latency though.

Flannelwarrior said:

There will always be rich people who will pay for something no one needs. It's like a luxury item

UglyChild said:

That is fast... Do i need to get a seat belt?

Basher said:

It seems that the memory manufacturers are reaching a peak in memory speed, specifically due to limits on voltage... I'm sure they have some crazy ideas under their belt, I'm interested to see where they go next...

dellz said:

well i wont judge this before i buy it , i was speculativ when i bought my dominator ddr2 with 1066 V but now i see the difference between that and cheaper 800 mhz ram , if ill ever up my mobo to Asus Maximus 2 then ill probably buy this

Orionlocke said:

Wow, 2250MHz, that is just crazy fast! I have to agree with many of the other posters in saying it's a bit overkill and probably will not make much (if any) difference performance wise over the 1600MHz or 1800MHz ram.

vangrat said:

Lol I love reading peoples reaction to thsi ZOMG who would ever need that much speedz!!! People were saying the same thing back when 1ghz processors were coming out and now we have intel releasing a 48 core processor...

Yes this is fast and beyond software capabilities at the moment, give it two to three years and people will be like, meh that's normal.

Timonius Timonius said:

and you'll need to spend premium on a motherboard and cpu to take advantage of the speed.

BlindObject said:

Those heatsinks mean biznezz.

lfg18 said:

Come on that is insane more than 2000 Mhz? that is something to see, my system still runs on DDR2 at 800 MHz and it runs ok, what makes the difference is the amount of ram you have in your system, i dont think it is necessary but I would surery be happy to get a pair of these

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

the memory bandwidth on these is probably really nice hard to believe that ram speed is approaching the speed of a cpu. this is probably a great set of ram but i think its kinda impractical its more of a bragging rights thing than anything.

muljator said:

the computer industry needs to change the way they make computers.

we are only improving on old technology when we should invent new technology.

thats why we see pointless hardware with no real use.

BlackIrish said:

And I'm still running DDR2 on 800 Mhz :/

saintbodhisatva said:

compdata said:

yup, other tech sites did similar RAM roundups, and the results were the same too - go for 1600 to at least be able to increment the base clock to 200. because it yields more to OC the CPU rather than the memory.

ken777 said:

I think this is a little overkill for current systems and won't result in a noticeable boost. It would be nice if corsair would get some 1.35v memory out and focus on power savings too for part of their lineup. G.skill has couple of 1.35v modules out, but haven't seen any reviews yet.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

All I have to say is I Want! Thems some sweet looking sticks of RAM right there, and they are fast as tits. Combine these with a i9 pushing 5GHz, a pair of 5970s and some of those new SSDs in RAID posted a couple days ago and that would be the ultimate gaming rig.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Adhmuz said:

If you can give me a Core i9 processor I will happily buy you a few sets of this crazy Corsair memory

Nirkon said:

Speed is amazing... but seriously whats the point? top M/Bs today

don't support this speed so why pay extra for something you're not gonna use?

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So um... how many more fps will this get on Crysis? 1, maybe 2?

Vicenarian said:

Is it just me, or does that thing somehow remind of the Transformers movie...?

Maybe...just maybe...it transforms into....

UltraRamTron

Which can banish pesky errors with its amazing ECC abilities!

levar said:

wow! thats just crazy I'm currently in the DDR2 world and I thought that was fast. This is o.o? :o impossible, lol I'd love to see those in action. Computer world just keeps getting better and better this is why I'm working in the IT field.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Yea, it's a waste. They'll be the fastest for a few months and your wallet will be broken.

alexandrionel said:

Wouldn't DDR2 with lower latency times would be faster? For sure it would be much cheaper. Last time I read a review of ddr3 vs ddr2, ddr3 was slower and muuuuuuch more expensive. Have things changed much during the last few weeks?

TechDisciple said:

wow badass!! looking corsair sticks. i liitle overkill, but who cares not me give it a couple years and it will be normal.