Adobe responds to iPad's lack of Flash, Fujitsu consulting lawyers over iPad name

By on January 28, 2010, 2:25 PM
Just like the iPhone and iPod Touch, Apple's iPad doesn't support Flash, and Adobe isn't thrilled about it. The company offered a statement to Gizmodo, saying that Apple is continuing to impose restrictions on its devices that limit both content publishers and consumers.

"Unlike many other ebook readers using the ePub file format, consumers will not be able to access ePub content with Apple's DRM technology on devices made by other manufacturers. And without Flash support, iPad users will not be able to access the full range of web content, including over 70% of games and 75% of video on the web," Adobe said.

Many popular services online rely on Flash including Hulu, Miniclip, Farmville, ESPN, Kongregate, and JibJab. Apple has its reasons for barring Flash, of course: it's resource intensive, and it opens the door for additional security risks. The tradeoff of excluding Flash is debatable, but it seems Apple won't budge any time soon.

In somewhat related news, Fujitsu says it owns the "iPad" name. The company sold an iPad handset in 2002, filed for a trademark in 2003, and said it is consulting lawyers over the matter. The situation resembles the dispute between Apple and Cisco over the iPhone name a few years ago. The companies negotiated a settlement in that case.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That damn MadTV sketch scarred me for life, every time I hear iPad it comes to mind. At least it has one pro firewall lol.

Moltar said:

I dont even know what to say. Oh, wait, iPad = Fail....

thatguyandrew92 said:

iPad is a lame name. W/e. Right now the iPAD, imho, sucks. Would be better if it used OSX. Or some OSX Lite.

Moltar said:

I agree thatguyandrew92 but people will still buy it, just like they do all the other Apple products.

I laughed when I was this youtube video but its so true in regards to Apple fanboys.

Apple finds another untapped market segment: people who want an eBook reader but actually don't want to read. not impressed. - elise pipu, UK -

Timonius Timonius said:

I hope fujitsu rakes 'em over the coals. I'm so sick of all the i this i that from crapple. And to their defense maybe they can come up with a flash alternative so Adobe flash doesn't have so much of a monopoly (still angry about the long time lack of gpu support). <Yeah I'm angry today >

apple will just buy the name from Fujitsu, like the corporate pigs they are.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

apple will just buy the name from Fujitsu, like the corporate pigs they are.

Yeah, why not? They fought over Cisco for the rights to use the iPhone name... Typical Apple.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Relic said:

ROFLMAO!

MadTV - Apple iPad skit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZggKwMjHEBo

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

If they settle it might be a nice cash infusion for Fujitsu.

With the launch of the iPad tablet, Apple has managed to become the ultimate digital go-between company for high quality and high price content in a small yet very affluent segment of the population ... NQ Logic encourages you to check out why Apple's iPad is the final digital puzzle for their ultimate connected consumer strategy at www.nqlogic.com

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

With GPU enabled flash support available now, i do see this as a major oversight on apples part, and one of my biggest annoyances with them.

Puiu Puiu said:

More and more problems with apple's iPad. I for one don't care if it's successful or not.

gobbybobby said:

from what I have seen Don't buy the Ipad, u will regret it!

megrawab said:

What!!! It iPad does not support flash?!!! It comes me into suspicion that it is more of a mobile phone than a computer. Most mobile phones cannot play flash for which I think most recent devices must be able to since flash is almost a commodity not only in the web but also on most applications. How would the user play flash games (esp. farmville) and watch flash videos in iPad if it doesn't have the flash support?!...