Microsoft: Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS in history, over 90 million licenses sold

By on March 4, 2010, 9:20 PM
Microsoft Windows 7's popularity was evident from the get-go. The operating system received wide acclaim before it even hit store shelves, and Redmond shipped 234% more boxed versions of Windows 7 than Vista in the first few days of retail availability. It's been over four months now, and recent numbers show that Windows 7 is still a hot item. In fact, it has reportedly achieved an all-time high for Windows sales.

During a Morgan Stanley conference, Microsoft CFO Peter Klein revealed that the company has sold more than 90 million Windows 7 licenses. By comparison, 40 million copies of Windows Vista were shipped in a similar timeframe. In a statement on the Windows blog, Microsoft said it is "humbled and excited that people are still responding so positively to Windows 7 -- our customers have made it the fastest selling operating system in history."

As you're all aware (some of you painfully so), the Windows 7 RC started its bi-hourly shutdowns this week. For the stragglers out there, will you be purchasing a license? Are you already a part of the 90-plus million?

yorro said:

I already purchased a license and I am very pleased with Win7.

Timonius Timonius said:

My current pc is about 5 years old ... aside from some ram and video card updates here and there. Should I upgrade from xp to win 7? How will it affect my current programs and games? I know my next pc build (hopefully in a few months) will include win 7 but i'm not sure if i should bother upgrading my old pc right now.

Chazz said:

I upgraded my PC from RC to Windows 7 shortly after release. I am very saddened that I did not purchase their family packs.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

What are your current system specifications Timonius?

Your best bet is probably to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor: [link]

azhurvadal said:

well, microsoft deserves it. Windows 7 is much better than Vista. i don't think new modern games and software in the next year will support Windows XP anymore. i'll buy one too, but after i upgrade my hardware.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

We had one computer in our house running W7 RC, but I just downgraded it to vista with its original license instead of shelling out for Windows 7. I am going to upgrade my desktop to windows 7 soon, probably on my next hardware upgrade. I have a copy server 2008 R2 64 bit, which is basically Windows 7, which I got for free from this Microsoft program for students, that I am going to put on it.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

I will be installing Windows 7 in two computers this summer. I'm sure they will last me the 6+ years just like XP did.

Yoda8232 said:

Considering all the hype, advertising, and cheap prices it's a no brainer it would sell fast.

I love my Windows 7, still like XP but XP gets random problems like blue screens and major slow downs after using it for a long time without reinstalling the OS.

bektasa said:

Timonius said:

I tried W7 on my laptop which I bought in 2006 and it is very nice Timonius and I'm sure it is going to work well on you computer too. I switched back to XP because 64bit drivers I found for W7 are not as good as original drivers and I couldn't customize some of my hardware (like touchpad and sound card) because of driver issues. So if you're going to build a new pc soon, I advice you to stick with XP and try W7 on your new machine.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Kudos to MS, Windows 7 is a very nice piece of software (IMO) and I really don't miss XP at all.

I purchased myself a copy 2 days after official release because I was so happy with the Beta and RC versions I used.

Would be interesting to see pirated figures too though, I wonder if it's the most pirated?

elroacho72 said:

I gave XP the boot as well after buy W7 To help the numbers of fastest selling OS in history to make it's mark.Always nice to be part of history...

jacob007 said:

Of course is the best selling OS in history... i mean it only competes with itself.

Anyways and jokes aside, Windows 7 is a solid OS and i guess people are seeing that and responding nicely. Regular consumers where not thrilled at all with Vista after all he initial issues and this is the complete opposite, we just have to hope future releases are just like this one, well thought and not rushed.

Clrabbit said:

I've been using 7 sense well the MSDN betas :p MSDN accounts are sweet... kind of pricey but sweet. I loved the earlier 70xx version of Win7 more then the final, it's a shame the keys we got for them expired months ago...

I still like Win7 its the best OS on the market, I've used more Linux distors then I can shake a stick at (Or at the very least remember now.), and after using OSX for a couple months I never want to touch an apple anything every again.

cyrusjumpjet cyrusjumpjet said:

Still very happy with my Windows 7! XP was great for its time but 7 is really nicely done. Finally they do something right.

flukeh said:

I've only briefly tried out 7 and it seems okay, But i'm not sure if i'm willing to pay money for what seems like to me just an updated UI. From what i've experienced, there are minimal differences between Windows 7 and XP on any other basis.

ashwingeek said:

Well i am not too sure about choosing Windows 7. I will stick to my Windows XP for a year or two.

Or till microsoft officially stops Win XP support. It is said that they will stop XP support by 2014.

Timonius Timonius said:

ashwingeek said:

Here are the details of the XP support lifecycle from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?C2=1173

Clrabbit said:

ashwingeek said:

Ah~ depends on what you call "Support"

Main support for XP ended On April 14, 2009

It only has Extended Support till 2014...

As for the difference... XP vs Win7 are like trying to compare Linux with BSD yeah sure the Interface may feel the same but at the core there totally different systems.

mv670 said:

I'm glad windows 7 is doing well. Its time for me to upgrade.

shoeseat said:

No doubt the best windows till now with those type of figures.MS is really changing to M$.LOL

eafshar said:

i worked with vista when it came out.. while with flaws it was still an upgrade from xp in my mind. windows 7 however just blows vista out the window. Microsoft should have just waited and released win7.

Alster37 Alster37 said:

and it should be the fastest selling, improved looks, improved work efficiency and gaming while being fast running on pretty much any decent modern day computer.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My PC is about nearly 4 years old; and only thing I've changed was CPU, and got rid of an faulty ram module; and results on the new OS are ....... staggeringly better than Windows 6.x.

buendia said:

Windows 7 just runs great.It's the operating system every Windows user should use.

Faster, safer, looks prettier, more efficient - there isn't a reason to not use it (provided you have the money)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

technochicken said:

Wow, are you going to be dissapointed when its nothing like windows 7. its more vista than 7.

Decimae said:

Windows 7 is currently one of the best gamers OS's(with XP), and also one of the os's that runs the average program(with XP). Though this might change as soon as steam gets upgraded with linux support, also for me.

Clrabbit said:

eafshar said:

You know for all the old vista bashing that happens, I never had an issue with it, infect on my Old AMD 64 system it went from NOT being able to run titian quest on XP, to being able to play at good speeds with a 1GB Ready boost USB stick, using only 512MB ram. Really all the old games I played when Vista came out ALL ran faster and better on Vista 64xUlt + 1GB Ready boost then they did on XP.

Now I have 8GB RAM and haven't bought a ready boost CF for Win7 but It's on my list of things to buy, I'd like to see what Win7 can do with 3x8GB high speed USB keys and 1x16GB High speed CF card.

I do have to say with 8GB Ram + 1GB CF Ready Boost I LOVE the way Win7 uses ram. I get a little slow down when the system has to clear ram for big rarely used programs but for all normal uses it's pretty sweet Photoshop loads in 3secs. Can't wait to see how it handles 40GB of Ready boost

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

With all those cheesy ads and the fact that there were lots of people were still on XP waiting to upgrade, the sales figures are hardly surprising. It would be interesting to see the level of adoption in the business world though, and if and when that takes off then M$ can really start counting their chickens.

zaidpirwani said:

It is the best thing after XP, though I also like Ubuntu 9.10....

zaidpirwani said:

It is the best thing after XP, though I also like Ubuntu 9.10....

DoomsD said:

I just bought Win 7 upgrade for my laptop that currently runs vista and is startin to slow down. Hopefully it will give a new lease of life, more than a fresh install will.

Its good that the requirred spec is the same as Vista which is wierd for a new OS but then I guess its pretty simliar.

I hoping there are some major differences though other wise you kind of feel it should have been a SP for Vista rather than a new OS.

DoomsD said:

@slh28

I have heard that businesses are going to start odobting Win 7 and leaving XP which is about time I guess.

I does leave the feeling that someone really dropped the ball with Vista though and its was almost a beta for Win7

thatguyandrew92 said:

I loved XP, Vista, and 7.

Kovach said:

Microsoft finaly got idea- let's make something that will work and that is worth of that money (like was not a case with Vista). Xp was one of the best Windows OS made. I think that Win 7 has a bright future.

njmarkham said:

I bought my copy when it first came out 64-bit and can't fault it at all. Just need an SSD to take advantage of such a good os.

Any one know of how to costimize Win7 without paying out for WindowsBlinds?

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Archean said:

Hate to tell you but Windows 7 is Windows version 6.1, Vista was 6.0. Personally I've been running a full retail version for the last 4 months. Very glad I bought the last family upgrade pack in all south western ontario (at least it seemed that way).

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I have been using Windows 7 since the beta and it has shown significant improvement, especially in comparison to Vista(with or without service packs). I was fortunate enough to avoid the high prices being in college during the release, and having access to an MSDNA account. And of course there was the $30 deal for those with a .edu account. I was also a Launch party host, and attended a an Instance of The New Efficiency program. Oddly enough, participation in one of these did not disqualify me for any others. So I may have a copy of windows 7 or two laying around : ) With all that said, I don't believe any single OS will be able to suit the entire worlds needs in the best way (or even one company) and I am glad to see the success of Linux and Mac. Even though my current preferred choices for desktops are XP and 7.

fref said:

My desktop computer and laptop are both happily running Windows 7 now, and I really like it. But what's even better is that my employer is also making the switch to Windows 7, and I was among the first to receive a brand new workhorse running the new OS! I was getting tired of running IE6 on XP at work.

Serag said:

The fact that I didn't upgrade to Vista and stayed with xp makes me hesitated about upgrading to 7,

Because I thought the UI of Vista is a bit annoying and I'm afraid I would have a while to get used to it since it's almost the same on 7.

Puiu Puiu said:

I have windows 7 at my laptop and also at the my work PC. It's really great and i love it. A few glitches here and there, but i'm sure that SP1 will fix them.

klpowell said:

I have upgraded all of my PC's to Win 7. I have a Dell M31 laptop that is 4 years old and it works much better under Windows 7 than it did when it came with XP from the factory. I have recommend all of my clients upgrade and have had no complaints. It really is a good OS and it is about time!

satty said:

I think the rise of number of computer users also factor for this(record seller history always updates in film industry for instance)

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It is funny how similar Win 7 and Vista are at the core, but how big a difference a couple small changes can make to usability and reliability. Probably the best item is actually making sure that there is sufficient driver support from hardware manufacturers ;-)

nazartp said:

Nothing but good to say about W7. Tried an RC on newly assembled computer for my son, was pretty happy and got a family pack. Now runs on three desktops in the house without any problems. I was particularly happy how it handled the existence of network printer and NAS in the house.

However, I still don't get Vista bashing. I had it on my own desktop and was pretty happy with it. The only reason I upgraded was the fact that I needed a new license for my son's computer and bought the family pack anyway.

natefalk natefalk said:

My Home PC is a Windows 7 PC and I would choose 7 over XP anyday. I work in IT and the problem we are having with the upgrade is that some of our Legacy software is not supported and the majority of our computer hardware does not support virtualization/XP Mode. Long story short the upgrade to 7 is very costly for most businesses and in this economy it's a tough sell...

That being said it makes me wonder who is driving the sales, businesses or customers?

"our customers have made it the fastest selling operating system in history."

I'd bet the free beta program alone is responsible for the increased sales. If you see something that is free it's too hard to resist giving it a try. Once you try Win7 it's hard to go back to XP. It's like going back to PS2 after playing PS3, not too many people will downgrade.

Viandroto said:

I never even used Windows Vista, because I knew it was sort of the beta/alpha of Windows 7 (or whatever they deemed to call the new OS)... I switched to the RC and fell in love with it... Other than maybe a few features like asking me if I want said program to access the system. That had to go. I definitely love using Aero, and to be able to slide a window to the side and have it conform into half it's size it such a great feature.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i'm looking forward for a future purchase too, just wandering how many illegal copies got downloaded too LOL.

it's good, it shows that good work & ad campaign pays off.

cheers!

thebluemeaner said:

using 7 ultimate x64...never going back to xp...ever...

avdheshbansal said:

i don't think windows 7 is really good enough to be the fastest selling OS in history. XP is still the best... fast, featured, secured(security lies in the hands of the user).

Do u really think that windows 7 would still sell as much over XP if microsoft :-

1) Provides continued support for windows XP

2) DirectX 10 & 11 support

3) allows XP licences for preinstalled OS in laptops etc,

Yes windows 7 is far better than windows vista, but still not good enough in comparison to XP to tempt me into buying one, given the amount of resources it consumes.

drkimo said:

After xp and Vista, Win7 is a breath of fresh air. I have not run across any bugs and even with it's considerable size, it runs quite fast! Using the 'God Mode' (also found in Vista) makes fine-tuning a snap. I don't know where the name "Windows 7" originated, but it's the closest thing to a 10 since 2000.