Acer shows a ton of new and updated systems at CeBIT

By on March 5, 2010, 6:49 PM
Acer arrived at CeBIT well prepared, revealing a slew of notebook and desktop refreshes along with few brand new systems. The company has outfitted a range of laptops with Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors, including the Aspire 8942 and 5942, as well as the TravelMate 6594, 7740, 5740, and 8x72.

The Aspire 8942 and 5942 lead the pack as far as power goes, with 18.4 and 15.6-inch HD displays, a selection of Intel's latest processors, up to 8GB of RAM and 1.2TB of storage (dual 640GB drives), a TV tuner, a multitouch trackpad, Blu-ray, and a surround sound system with "Tuba CineBass."

Meanwhile, the TravelMate systems range from 13.3 to 17.3 inches, and all use Intel's Core ix processors. On the lightest end is the 8x72 Timeline, which boasts up to eight hours of battery life. The 6594 is the next step up, offering a rounded feature set including an AMD Radeon HD 5670 graphics chip, while the 7740 and 5740 are aimed at business users.

Acer also unveiled the Predator G7750 gaming rig, which features a Core i7 Extreme Edition CPU, a Blu-ray drive, and a "state of the art" liquid cooling system. Head over to Acer's site to read more about its new products.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

They really are serious about knocking dell out of the top spot.

pyari said:

all is well, this must be happen coz we need it.....this is beneficial for customer like us. now we are on the way of super computer. in 10 years we can purchase super computers.

keep it up guys....

nokayapmat said:

wow, i hope to see more laptop models with 8 hours or more of solid battery life even while in gaming/3g mode...

Zenphic said:

They really are serious about knocking dell out of the top spot.

It's going to be hard though. Dell has a really solid foot in the market with good customer service, great price and well build systems, be it laptops or desktops.

I still find Acer less reliable than Dell. I have no idea if that has changed throughout the years, but it's still the image I have of them.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Generally Dell seems to be built with better materials/quality then ACER or even HP. ACER in particular feels bit more plasticky then I would like. Once, I advised a friend of mine to buy ACER notebook, the specs/price seemed very attractive, however, its touchpad and keyboard died as soon as its warranty expired ..... that will my last suggestion to any one to consider buying ACER for a long while.

Acer is a bad choice. I've bought or assembled a lot of desktop PCs and bought a couple of laptops (1 Acer & 1 Toshiba) already. I didn't have any problems with the desktops and Toshiba laptop. My Acer 2960Z's motherboard gave up before one year has elapsed and, worse, they didn't have an International Warranty, which I thought they had. They do have the so-called International Traveler's Warranty that protects travelers but not expatriates like myself. I'll never buy an Acer again.

Kovach said:

I had few problems with Acer Travelmate series, but overall I think they are pushing forward and making a big move with this huge improvment and system specifications. I think Acer know that they need to work little bit more to catch up with Dell.

levar said:

These system are nice, sure kicks some ass compared to some of the desktops I've seen running Intel's new chips. Its also nice to see some new stuff from acer I love there systems they're unique in there own way, not only that they're releasing different models for different kinds of people business users, gamers, & and enthusiast. Now I just need to know the prices.

supyo said:

Acer has been building some really cool machines as of late. Doesn't hurt that their pricing is incredible too

Yoda8232 said:

For a second there I though Acer was coming out with liquid cooled LAPTOP because 2/3 of the news were on laptops. Anyways I hope the quality of the DC jacks are improved since they break a lot on older models VERY easily. Where's the REAL gaming laptops from Acer?

fadownjoo said:

It seems like acer has better stuff to choose from at a lower price, but dells name is just too big..especially in buisiness's

rajmond said:

DELL is a big name, but people should not look the name. If you are going to by a DELL laptop, it's not the name "DELL" where you will write your documents, watch movies, or browse the internet. It's the actual machine. And we know that Acer is dong a good job on that...good stuff, at affordable price

bearspencer said:

The Aspire 8942 and 5942 with their combination of attractive price points, exceptional features and exceptional processor/storage combos will accelerate the moves towards desktop replacements for the home AND laptop replacement by smaller, more portabile "mobile" devices.

rufio said:

this is good competition for dell... and good for computer geeks too. i can't wait to see what other companioes will try to do to better one another.

i've been using acer products for years and have no problems with them. very solid computers at good prices

Serag said:

Like this Acer would be causing serious competition for Dell..Quality products and lot's of them..

LGraves said:

Acer has come along way. As I said in a previous post - they have been around since HP,Gateway and when Dell was just getting onto the market. i used to consider them cheap but they do create some solid products.

Newsflash. Acer has already beaten Dell for #2 spot.

ludoboss said:

Yeah, there is a marketing strategy behind it. Acer aims to become the world leader. Create products is not so difficult, but manage them is real hard. We'll see.

pipopaz said:

Waiting for a decent price laptop with an i5 processor and a decent graphics card.

AfricanTech said:

I have the same issue with Acer - my relatively recent experience of the brand (i.e. desktops and laptops in the last 2 years) has not been good. Proprietrary RAM, poor service, breakdowns..

zaidpirwani said:

My OLD ACER broke quite easily.... since then I have been a DELL Fan.....

alexandrionel said:

Acer has really good prices....but nothing more.

I know a lot of laptops that had problems.

When ever people ask me what laptop to buy, I always tell them "anything but Acer or Myria".

I don't think I will change that in the next few years.

Asgar312 said:

This is getting serious....Acer is building a huge empire and are on the selling spree.They are making quality products and their after sales service is commendable...All of the new models are attractive...

rskapadia2294 said:

Acer is one of the best companies in INDIA already!

and with the showcase of more products at CeBIT i think they are planning to leave behind HP and DELL!

but i think they need to concentrate more on making laptops for budget minded people!

one of their major drawbacks is that they dont include GPU's in their budget laptops while HP and DELL does! thats where ACER is lacking acoording to me! otherwise everything's fine with them!

rskapadia2294 said:

and yes i forgot to mention!

acer should also improve their CUSTOMER SERVICE!

fref said:

I've always been satisfied with the Acer laptops I've owned (four of them if I recall correctly). I did have a few keys break on one of them, but my one year old did have something to do with that... I opened an RMA on Acer's website and had the keyboard repaired pronto, no problem there. So I'll probably go with Acer for my next laptop too when the time comes to upgrade.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have a 5 yr old Acer Laptop (Aspire 1680). And so far only issue I have ever had with it is the hdd died about a month ago. Which I'm not really too pissed about. I think 5yrs for the hdd of a laptop that go dragged all over the place and used like a desktop for the first 3 year so of its like is a reasonable expectation.

buttus said:

Acer is really on a roll and I know that HP now holds them as the biggest threat in the channel. Acer has been making great products at more reasonable pricing for sometime. I even have 4 Acer displays in my house ranging from 24"-19" and I couldn't be happier with the quality or the value of their products.

I agree though with some of the posts above that Acers only achilles heel is in their customer service which is sometimes lacking.