Tech Tip of the Week: Customize Your Windows 7 Start Menu Button

By on March 18, 2010, 2:30 AM
Windows users have been customizing their desktops in a variety of ways for years. Whether by downloading themes and backgrounds, or using third party applications to change more obscure settings like the default logon screen, many people seem intent on personalizing every aspect of their operating system to something that fits their individual taste. And what better to alter than an icon that's always visible?

While we don't mind the Windows 7 Start Menu icon, and actually feel it's somewhat of a leap forward from the rectangular buttons of old, swapping out the orb for a new icon is quick and painless with the help of Kishan-Bagaria's Windows 7 Start Orb Changer. It even comes with a few examples to get you started.

Continue reading our Tech Tip of the Week.

Clrabbit said:

You know I just have to wonder You always see this stuff to make Windows look like MAC and Linux... what kind of delusional reason do people really have, to need to make Windows look like something its not... given in this case you can use it to do any thing, so You could just slap together your own Windows Logo or personal logo and that would be cool. after all your are making your desktop your own.

But it seems like I see a lot of people making there Windows systems "look like" Linux/Mac, and I really do not understand why you would want some body else logo hiding somebody else logo... It's like buying an Xbox360 and then slaping a Wii sticker over the any thing that says XBOX, or modding a PS2 game to have the Xbox logo show up when you load a game instead of the PS2.

I've seen people go as far as to use window blinds and mod the start and login screens to mimic a Linux environment to the point were it's like Really, why? if you LIKE it that much WHY not just use Linux then just run your hand full of little office programs in a VM or Wine. or you could run a Linux distro in a full screen VM inside windows either way it just seems like you should just be using a real linux system/environment.

(I am in no way ditching Modding infect I love marking things up with my own art work all the time, I just don't get the attempted re-branding weirdness.)

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

IMHO Quick Restore Maker is much more useful utility, which I've used for some time. Changing appearance of your OS is something which differs considerably depending on users' own taste.

buendia said:

I'm not sure I really need that. The default orb looks just fine, and in my opinion, this is just as ridiculous as changing start menu text in Windows XP.

Serag said:

lol @ the first preview "windows > ubuntu"

I think utilities like this are all over the place..I'm not a Win7 user but thanks for the tip TS.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Great tip, and I do agree the the Win7 orb is definitely much more visually pleasing than "Start". I also feel the rollover effect is subtle enough that it is not disruptive. I personally would not even think to put the Ubuntu logo in place of the orb (I like Ubuntu and all, but why would I want it in Windows?) I could see other logos going in place of the old MS flag though.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Many thanks for this tip TS, I created my own custom image set and now have my personal logo instead of the default orb.

As for clrabbit's questioning of why people mod an OS to look like another OS, I think it is very plausible that some people may like the look of one OS better than another but due to functionality they may be tied down to another OS.

Keep the tips coming in TechSpot

Thompson said:

I use Stardock Objectdock and don't have to look at the taskbar and makes running programs ultra-easy.

rskapadia2294 said:

yeah i already knew it!

my start menu button is of apple! :P

i have changed it twice!

feels gr8 to have a new look!

elroacho72 said:

clrabbit...WOW

All I have is thanks for the tip! I usually use the tip Tech-Spot puts out like God Mode,that was a pretty good tip.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Thompson said:

I'm in the same boat! Shortcuts are always win when you can apply them to an OS.

njmarkham said:

Just one word, as seems to be the general consensus, why?

Orionlocke said:

Pretty cool, thanks for the tip TS! I really like the look of Win 7 but it's always fun to do some customizing here and there. I checked the orb collection through the link to SevenForums and there are some really cool looking ones there. Just might have to give this a try.

seefizzle said:

I see nothing of value by changing the Window's orb. I like tweaking my OS, but this just doesn't do anything.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Always fun to do a little makeover on the desktop. Thanks!

Docnoq said:

seefizzle said:

Because some people like to have aesthetically pleasing things. Do you change your desktop wallpaper? It does not provide any performance boost, but it looks nice so people do it. Same principle can be applied to virtually any other product. Some people choose to paint their cars with racing stripes and others choose to have solid colors. Neither option really "does" anything, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Haha! Ubuntu... that's a good one!

EduardsN said:

The default orb is perfect! If you change it.. its just not windows any more

mystic420 said:

I have found over the years of "MODDING" my systems, I tend NOT to MOD the OS like I used to as I have found it tends to made the OS unstable. Now I'm not talking about themes and that like, but when you start changing Log On and Log Off screens or other internal OS things, it tends to make bad things happen... Just a word of warning...

Neojt said:

Downloaded and will give it a try

levar said:

Wow this is nice! Thanks for sharing definitely gonna try this. Great way to personalize my Windows the way I want it.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I find this pretty useless.

People that try to make their OS look like another OS are pretty useless too.

"WoW dude, you are a Linux Guru!" "no I just changed the icons"... crap!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Kibaruk said:

I find this pretty useless.

People that try to make their OS look like another OS are pretty useless too.

"WoW dude, you are a Linux Guru!" "no I just changed the icons"... crap!

So you're saying you think other people will be impressed to see a Linux guru? I know the ladies always are

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The not so bright ones maybe :P

Renegeek said:

I dont like any add-ons, i like to stick to the basic (classic) screen, to get the best performance posiable. (for my games)

megrawab said:

EduardsN said:

The default orb is perfect! If you change it.. its just not windows any more

Agree!... No extra practical use except appearance customization.

Yoda8232 said:

I like 6809 and 6801 in the other buttons there, but I don't like to change the look of the OS that much or it doesn't feel like the OS. It's like putting a totally different front bumper on your car that makes it look like a totally different car, then more different as you add on things.

Aneesh said:

Yehhhhhhhhh

its working in my machine...

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thanks for the tip. I like the default one for the moment, but probably after a year or so i will start playing around with things more.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

renegeek said:

I am surprised at how many people think this way, when it has almost no effect. The add-ons arn't going to be running while your game is maximized. Maybe they take up a tiny bit of memory, but your game isn't going to use all the memory on your computer is it?

realpoor said:

I used this utility this morning, a few things to note, if you don't run it as admin it will come up with errors. Also, I used this utility, and a few minutes later my windows 7 ultimate 64 bit OS became unvalidated and came up with the usual your copy of windows is not genuine...restoring back to the normal explorer icons put my computer back as genuine...

Now why would I want my Windows to look like Ubuntu?

I really do not think changing the look of ANYTHING you own a big deal! We paint our homes,choose window coverings,give our cars added effects---- So really, why bag on a person for changing the desktop of his/her pc? Do you feel that bagging on peoples choice of changing the desktop Is any worse then spending your time nagging them about It?

Is this truly a big deal to you? If you enjoy arguing about what people do, You should spend that energy addressing this worlds REAL problems. Like taxes,unemployment,children starving,mothers living In a car with 3 kids--- Talking about someone wasting time doing something pointless----LOOK IN THE MIRROR. -peace-

NightAngel79 said:

Can't get this to work at all. Win 7 64, been trying to get my start orb changed to the Death Star but won't work... Boo Hoo

ashishopps said:

can any one tell me how to change the start menu icon manually

ashishopps said:

can i replace the name of microsoft corporation with my name at log on screen???