Adobe releases finalized Flash 10.1

By on June 10, 2010, 7:04 PM
Adobe has released the finalized version of Flash 10.1 following months of pre-release builds. The browser plug-in's first public beta was pushed out last November, bringing hardware H.264 video acceleration to Windows machines, and most of the changes since then have revolved around that in some fashion whether bug fixes or extending GPU support.

Based on the latest release notes, supported graphics chips include AMD's Radeon HD line, Nvidia's GeForce and Ion products, Intel's integrated GPUs in 4-series and newer chipsets, and Broadcom's Crystal HD video decoders. GPU-accelerated Flash translates to less CPU load and ultimately lower power consumption, which is important on mobile hardware.

Windows users can grab the 2.45MB plug-in here (watch out for the optional "Free McAfee Security Scan Plus"). Flash 10.1 for Mac OS X (dubbed Gala) is still in development, but you can still download a release candidate.

thatguyandrew92 said:

Very nice! My laptop has the X4500HD

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Notice any improvements?

After I followed your link this was what I got >> Version 10,0,42,34 installed successfully :D

So where is 10.1 version?

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Not sure, it shows 10.1 for me. Anyone else have that issue?

Jibberish18 said:

I'm a bit confused because at first I went to download the latest "Gala" version for OSX Snow Leopard. THEN I went to Adobe's official site and it says that 10.1 is officially available for OSX. I download it but when I try to install it, it tells me it will not because I have a newer version already installed...sooooo is the still in development Gala version different from the one Adobe is offering? I'm confused.

What Adobe have not mentioned very clearly that version 10.1 includes Adobe Spyware! It allows content owners to check certificates and poll the originator without the users agreeing to it!

Instead of allowing people to choose - Adobe are insisting that the software does this.

Licenses are mentioned - that are not removed - Adobe points you to another location - and hides where they are actually located!

This version should NOT be installed by anyone until Adobe allow user controls!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Mine updated to 10.1 fine? actually on an oldish laptop but has an intel graphics card and seems to be a bit quicker rendering flash!

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Here are direct links so you aren't forced to install Adobe's download manager:

Internet Explorer;

[link]

Firefox & Opera;

[link]

Uninstaller:

windmill007 said:

HAHA poor Apple

Jibberish18 said:

I must've uninstalled that stupid Download Manager about 6 times now. And counting.

elroacho72 said:

64 bit support ?

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Oddly enough, I got that same "Version 10,0,42,34" issue during an interim step of installation through FireFox, with the Adobe DLM also telling me it failed to install 10.1. But after closing that error message, the 10.1 setup jumped to the front and finished, and it showed the correct version installed on the final screen.

Not exactly the smoothest update in the world... Perhaps it internally requires an update to Version 10,0,42,34 before it can complete the jump up to 10.1?

I seemed to have the same issues that guest had . I downloaded after dlm installed in firefox and had the install error and showed old version still present. I uninstalled Flash through Add/ remove programs then downloaded the .exe for other windows browsers ( Not Internet Explorer ) and installed with installer , then checked version and it was new 10.1

This seems to be a firefox and / or other than explorer? issue.

Hope this helps someone out.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

IMO, any product that requires a Download Mgr is suspect - -

right clicking and using Save Link As is all that 'should' ever be required - - but that's just me