Microsoft says Xbox 360 will be relevant for five more years

By on June 24, 2010, 3:15 PM
The Xbox 360 may be five years old this November (has it been that long?), but Microsoft expects this to be a "very big year," calling 2010 the "mid-lifecycle" of the console. In an interview, Microsoft executive Chris Lewis told Gamesindustry.biz that the platform at least another five years of life.

With the redesigned Xbox 360 and new Kinect motion controller, the company says it will enjoy ongoing momentum and continue offering great experiences for people. "We continue to attach more games than competitive platforms and we have the healthiest ecosystem with 25 million people connected through Xbox Live."

The chat also cleared up concerns about whether Microsoft would abandon the hardcore market with the release of Kinect, instead favoring casual gamers. Lewis said that the company will remain committed to its hardcore audience, but it wants to enter the casual market and it will do so without alienating its core customers.

You can read the full interview here, although you'll have to register (it's free).

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Every part of the gaming industry seems to be saying that, but I'm still worried that in their greed to pick up a larger market share with the casual gamers that the core gamers will be left with little to enjoy.

kakarot27 said:

LOL 5 years.....by that time we will have dx14 or something and they will be stuck with dx9

princeton princeton said:

The games looked horrible at launch. I'm going to hate seeing them in 2015 compared to my pc.

Chazz said:

They're not saying that they will not release a new system inbetween now and then. They're saying that they will support and keep xbox alive for another 5 years. The PS2 still ships a hefty amount of units and Microsoft wants the 360 to have the same amount of longevity.

foreverzero89 said:

its going to take alot of what MS doesn't have to be able t beat the PS2.

Timonius Timonius said:

Forgive me for being ignorant, but does the new 360 slim play Blu-ray?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Nope Timonius - no Blu-ray on any Xbox.

The Xbox will be relevant until Sony or Nintendo comes out with their new models predicted to be Christmas of 2012.

@Timonius

No it doesn't have Blu-ray and M$ will never have a BR system; Due to the fact that they would have to pay Sony to license the technology.

@kakarot27

Xbox 360 doesn't use DX9 (or the PS3 for that matter).

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is curious, as rumors of the PS4 have it launching at the end of 2012. I'm pretty sure that if the rumors prove to be true (I'm not holding my breath), that M$ will most certainly bring out some new competition. I'm sticking to my PC though.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Chazz is right, this just means they will support it for at least 5 more years. Which is great news for gamers imo. I also have no doubt that Microsoft and Sony will be making a move in the next couple of years. But definitely not before Nintendo this time around who I have a feeling will be showing stuff off come next year.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Regardless of what happens, Microsoft won't say otherwise since they just released a brand new Xbox, which inevitably I'm going to buy to replace my RROD'd console just because I have already invested some considerable money on games and gear for it.

Wow... hardware that was obsolete before it was even on the shelf, now in a pretty new package. I'll pass.

Isn't it kind of ironic that the Gears of War and MW2 "hardcore" kids are getting the same shaft from Microsoft that the Quake/UT generation got?

I caved and bought an XBOX and I have to admit that, it has some pretty fun exclusives like Alan Wake, Perfect Dark Zero, Forza series and BF1943.

No matter how "hardcore" you feel you're just a piece of flesh wasting time.

kakarot27 said: