Microsoft readying a multi-touch Arc mouse?

By on July 2, 2010, 3:30 PM
A new product listing for what is being called the "Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse" has prompted speculation that the software giant may be whipping up a rival to Apple's Magic Mouse. The device is listed with the product code RVF-00003 and has an MSRP of around $70 (the same as Apple's device), according to Long Zheng of istartedsomething. Zheng also notes that Microsoft registered the domain "arctouchmouse.com" in March, which is currently redirecting to Bing a common practice for the company's placeholder sites.

You may recall a project from late 2009 that Microsoft was calling Mouse 2.0. As part of that research, the company was working on designs for a prototype multitouch mouse one of which is pictured above. That specific unit featured a curved design similar to the existing Arc models, and it used FTIR to track multiple contact points. There's no telling if this is what's coming to market, but any new multitouch peripheral from Microsoft could bring some attention to development for native Windows touch applications, and we can't complain about that.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

So its a multi-touch touch pad?

Eh? I like the fact that on normal mice you actually get some tactile feedback as well as the click, comfort, etc...this thing seems to defy all of those aspects.

superty12 superty12 said:

Finally

So Microsoft has finally stepped into this game. I was wondering when they would, as I express here. http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic138204.html

Who will win this technological competion war, Microsoft or Apple?!

blackcat77 said:

Looks uncomfortable. I haven't found a really good mouse since the days of the MS Trackball Explorer. My Logitech mouse comes close but using it is inconvenient on my way-too-small slide out tray.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmm like its really 'laborious and uncomfortable' having to press buttons on a mice.

tengeta tengeta said:

Won't take me from my trackball. My keyboard does 99% of what these "innovative" touch devices do, people are just centered around the pointing device too much these days.