Latest in Smartphones: Third Quarter 2010

By on July 7, 2010, 5:14 AM
Whether you are focused on business and productivity, or are looking for something designed with multimedia and entertainment in mind, there are so many new smartphones being released week in and week out that it's hard to keep track of what's hot anymore. From phones in the Palm and BlackBerry catalogs that emphasize push connectivity and QWERTY keyboards for easier typing, to the popular iPhone and the latest breed of Android-powered devices that have flooded the market as of late, with its sheer number of available apps that can greatly extend the phones' functionality.

Since hardware exclusivity agreements are all too common these days, it's possible the phone you want won't be available on the network you're on. Nevertheless, we've compiled a list with some of the best options currently out there and a quick glance of what's coming soon. Our selection covers every major U.S. carrier and lists devices according to their release date.

Devices covered
Page 1/2: Apple iPhone 4, HTC Evo 4G, BlackBerry Bold 9650, HTC Droid Incredible, HTC HD2, Motorola Backflip, Palm Pre Plus, Nexus One, HTC Droid Eris, iPhone 3GS.
Upcoming: Dell Streak, Motorola Droid X, Samsung Galaxy S, Nokia N8, BlackBerry 9800.

Read the complete article.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Very nice article! And the Nokia N8 images do look absolutely stunning! amazing for a phone thats for sure! Its a shame about the software but it had the better battery life and being a nokia it'll have no issues for the next 10 years to come! although you probably won't keep it that long in all fairness.

jznomoney said:

What about the HTC Aria? That just came out from AT&T. I purchased it myself and love it.

Captain828 Captain828 said:

Really good article, sure wasn't expecting on seeing this kind of article here.

Will we see quarterly phone articles from now on?

About the phone lineup, I would like to see Nokia get some more MeeBo/Moblin phones out as the N800 has a pretty impressive OS.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

I've been waiting for an article like this.

Now I am thinking about getting the Dell Streak if I can get that on AT&T's service.

jznomoney said:

Since I can pm someone pm'd me and asked about listening to pandora on the aria and using maps at the same time. Yes it is possible.

jznomoney said:

Also a group of people at the xda forum are trying to get froyo(Android 2.2) to work on this phone. If you are going to get an android phone for at&t under contract i would recommend the aria over the backflip. The backflip so far has not been able to be rooted.

A co-worker of mine is beta testing the Dell Streak and it is using the At&t network.

The article is very nice, however the stated stand-by times are utter lies. HTC and Apple for 10-16 days?? I know many people with these devices, and these last a maximum of 2 days with everything turned off, let alone wanting to reach 10-16 days!!!

tonylukac said:

Nice phones but I'm more frugal. It would be nice to know the monthly charges. It would also be nice to pay the $600 or so once and have lower monthly rates, like the pay as you go I presently use. Shouldn't something like this last 10 years? I have a year 2000 HP computer in my collection (not Y2K). Blame it on capitalism, I guess, altho everything is manufactured in a communist country.

Arris Arris said:

With everything turned off I get 5-7 days on my HTC Touch HD. If I let it maintain a 3g connection for getting weather, facebook etc updates then yes, its down to 1-2 days.

Leeky Leeky said:

My iPhone 3GS barely lasts 1.5 days on standby, with only the occasional call. If I use the mp3 player, and use the phone for several calls in a day, t doesn't even last 24hours. I have to charge it every night regardless. Its so bad I purchased a new charger which I carry with me all the time now.

Its actually rather shocking, as my previous Nokia E71 used as many features as I do with the iPhone, but lasted 3-4 days on a full charge, even when used continiously!