iPhone 4 complaints get louder, Apple censors discussions

By on July 13, 2010, 1:29 PM
What was touted as the most successful product launch in Apple's history has quickly turned into a PR nightmare. Shortly after the much anticipated iPhone 4 went on sale, a number of blogs uncovered a problem with device's antenna -- simply touching a spot on the phone's lower left side could cause the signal to significantly degrade. Apple downplayed the issue claiming that the iPhone was erroneously calculating and displaying reception bars, promising that a fix was on the way. But that's not expected to do much in the way of avoiding lost signal.

This week Consumer Reports jumped in on the matter with a new brief that supposedly confirms, after extensive testing, that the problems are real. And even though it also assigns Apple's newest phone the "highest rated" score as the best smartphone currently available, it's conclusion was that it "can't recommend" buying the iPhone 4 until Apple addresses its antenna issues with a free fix. The report also takes some heat away from AT&T's much criticized network.

Consumer Reports said it had tested other smartphones in its labs, including the previous iPhone 3GS model as well as the Palm Pre, and found that none showed the same loss of signal as the iPhone 4 (while also noting that applying a piece of duct tape to cover the lower left hand side of the phone solves the signal attenuation problem). Curiously, Apple seems to be censoring discussions of the controversial review on its public message board at discussions.apple.com.

Despite reviews pointing out the phone's signal problem, demand isn't slowing down -- the device has been in short supply since it went on sale June 24. If you're among the iPhone 4's early buyers don't hesitate to share your experience thus far.

princeton princeton said:

This wouldn't be the first time apple was guilty of censorship...Hey look is that an RSS app.. oh wait no that got pulled. Hopefully the apple fanboys will get their heads out of their asses and realize Steve Jobs is not jesus.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I bought an IPhone 4 and I have never had any reception issumeow meow meow meow meow meow

if the tape fixes the problem why doesn't apple put the tape on the inside of the phone?

Why should Apple do anything ? Apple fanboys would buy iPhone even if it had ZERO bars in left and right hand

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

I bought one knowing full well of the issues, not because I'm a "fanboy" but because I have to agree with the consumer reports article, it really is the best smartphone out there.

I did test the reception issue though, and sure enough, from 5 - 0 bars in about 20 seconds. It's very annoying and definitely should make you think twice about giving apple money for this faulty product. I'm crossing my fingers that apple provides a fix for this soon.

I have a 3G and now my signal goes out during a phone call... Apple may need to just redesign the iphone and start over.

Best phone ? I had Iphone 3G, I have Nexus 2.2 now.....While I think iPhone is a very nice phone with very nice GUI and some killer apps, Android a much better OS. iPhone OS is just borring....

Timonius Timonius said:

Roll out the iTape! $10 per square millimeter!

Reloader2 said:

Timonius said:

Roll out the iTape! $10 per square millimeter!

This made me laugh : D Good one.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well, is anyone really surprised by the censorship?

Users: "Wow, the iPhone rocks! But, umm, it isn't working quite right"

S.Jobs: "Yes it is, it's magical, and the best thing ever. There are no issues"

Users: "It drops our calls when we touch it"

S.Jobs: "No it doesn't, that is just a figment of your imagination coupled with a programming flaw"

Users: "No, really, the signal dies, see?"

S.Jobs: "Did you hear something? {deletes forum posts} Nothing to see here, move along..."

fullmetalvegan fullmetalvegan said:

My mate got a iPhone 3GS and I got a Nokia N97 instead; cause it had a better GPS, better camera, more internal memory and proper web support (flash) with the qwerty keyboard. The phones function relatively the same (granted, Apple's touch is more reponsive, but only by a fraction of a second, nothing to severely trump Nokia) except the Nokia has more basic features.

The most amusing thing is that his phone has broken twice in the same time I've had mine and my Nokia hasn't broken once. His first one fell about 5-10cms to the ground and stopped working instantly, mine has hit the ground about 10 times and it didn't affect the performance at all. His second iPhone just stopped working altogether, first the home button stopped, then it just decided to have random buttons cease functioning until it was totally broken. My Nokia hasn't had any interface errors at all.

Similiar issues have happened to my other mates too, amongst my friends/personal expierence, the iPhone is a dodgy piece of technology that my Nokia keeps outliving. Can't wait for the N8. ;D

Buy while supplies last !!!!

02/IMG_20100713_174741.jpg

aj_the_kidd said:

Lets face it most users will just cave and get a cover, whilst the rest, well they'll just get a new phone or simply be ignored. There will be no redesign, no admission of fault, simply quite from Apple till the problem goes away............

aj_the_kidd said:

Buy while supplies last !!!!

[link]

Dude thats gold, put the Apple Logo on tape or even the tape dispenser and you'll sell millions

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

And people have the audacity to berate Microsoft.

When people started experiencing the RROD on the XBOX 360, Microsoft went so far as to ship you a nifty coffin to ship your 360 back free of charge and receive your new 360.

Just imagine for a minute if Microsoft had done with the XBOX 360 what Apple is doing with the iPhone 4.

"Oh, no, there's nothing wrong. That red circle you're seeing isn't a real problem."

"But I can see it on the TV, and I can't play games."

"Then don't play games that way."

"What way? By inserting the disc in the tray!?"

"Yes."

"But then how am I supposed to play games?"

"C'mon, you didn't buy the XBOX 360 to play games. You bought it to experience the magic."

"But the whole purpose of a console is to play games!"

"OK, It turns out that we weren't calculating the pixels correctly, and a software update will be ready via XBOX Live."

"It won't even turn on! How the hell am I supposed to connect to XBOX Live!?!?"

"It's magical."

"F*** you."

Its weird I played around with my friends iPhone 4 for the past week and didn't see any dropped calls. And believe me I tried to make it fail. Is the antenna issue present in every iPhone and in every circumstance?

i played in Apple store with iPhone and dropped from 4-5 bars to 0 by holding in left hand......

I know that most of the time I use cases on my phones, but when i go out, i try to leave case at home because it makes phone too bulky. So this iPhone thing is a pretty serious problem for me.....

After this last point of news, I think I'm going to go the Android route when my contract comes up in September . . . .

Actually, that sounds like exactly what Microsoft did with the original Xbox. The first generation shipped with crappy drives that would just stop working and Microsoft would repair it for $99 plus shipping both ways. That's why I have a PS3 now instead of a 360. Sounds like they were smarter the second time around but they'd already lost me.

Long time ago apple was ahead but left behind by Microsoft with MS-DOS...Is history repeating itself ?

Yes I like Apple products, Yes I own an Iphone4. Yes I experienced signal issues at first. However I bought a bumper case and the problem is 100% solved. Do I think apple should give them away. No. I was going to buy a case regardless so spending $30 to solve my problem when I was going to do so anyways is a non issue to me. Now my iphone4 works perfectly. Time to move on everybody. And I highly doubt that any purchasers of Apple's products think Steve Jobs is Jesus so please give the hating a rest. This really isn't a huge deal.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Selling a flawed product that REQUIRES the customer to then go buy a case (which some may not have ever wanted and can add bulk) is indeed a big deal. Your interesting ability to just shrug it off is the exact mentality that gets the whole "messiah Jobs" jokes rolling. Non-Applesheep are appalled by the entire fiasco, but people like you aren't. You are basically strengthening the stereotype. And, while some may truly hate Apple, I don't hate them... I just despise ignorance, deception, elitism, and greed. So I don't hate Apple, I hate their actions (or in this case inaction).

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

My iPhone, Right or Wrong.........

My iPhone, Right or Wrong.........

Beyond being one of the more nonsensical, socially conditioned rants I've seen in a while, it has to be mentioned that Steve Jobs really doesn't need another apologist, he has crack legal and PR teams that are a whole lot more qualified than you.

As to whether anybody thinks that "His Steveship" is Jesus, that's abundantly absurd. Everybody knows that Jesus is largely ignored, while the "Apple Corp" hangs on every deceptive word that dribbles out of Jobs mouth.

Oh, so you don't think I'm a hater, "congratulations on your new iPhone"! Now why don't you call somebody and tell them all about it too. Wouldn't it be enormously more self satisfying to spread your effusive joy in many places? BTW, don't forget to tape the antenna gap first.

"I'm a PC, now get that stinking phone out of my face"!

tengeta tengeta said:

Everyone calm down, the iPhone 5 will be coming out soon enough.

This event has shown why it is never a good idea to be an early adopter of a new gadget. Wait a few months before all the bugs are addressed.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

tengeta said:

Everyone calm down, the iPhone 5 will be coming out soon enough.

Yes, and with two antenna gaps, one for each hand.......

Here's another upcoming problem - glass shattering. My phone was in the cell phone pocket of my purse when I left work. When got home I took it out to find that the glass on the back was completely shattered. Shards of glass even fell out. I'd had it for 5 whole days! I took it to a local AT&T store and was basically told "oh that's too bad - not our problem". It will coast 200.00 to fix the glass or 600.00 to buy a new phone. WTF!? So I drove another 45 miles to the nearest Apple store and got the same response from the a supervisor. This is my first iPhone and I was broken hearted. Is this what a "600.00" dollar phone does?? Apple and AT&T are both going to screw themselves if they don't pony up on their customer service!!! Do what's right!! As much as i love it, I sure the hell won't buy another one.

While my iPhone 4 suffers from the signal pro lens as well, I've noticed other issues. The proximity sensor seems to be too sensitive or improperly located. When talking on the phone in my right hand as suggested to over come the signal problem, if you do not keep the phone pressed to your head with some pressure the proximity sensor suggest your not holding the phone to your head and re activates the skin and then your face starts setting off all kind of havoc on the screen. Usually hanging me up, muting or activating face time. I also get warning about my device has overheated and must cool down before use. This occurs sitting on my desk in a 73 degree controlled climate. Who know. I for one think they should halt current production, repair the problems that were obviously overlooked then send out replacement (corrected) iPhone 4 on their dime to all of us who bought one

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

If your computer went from 4ghz at start up to 400mhz when you started using it would you still use it. Sounds like a common fanboy to me.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Perhaps Apple might consider dumbing down the iPhone 4 ads, (yes, even more).

Something like....."Oooooo Shiny......".

I'm sure it would still appeal to the ***** pool, er whoops, I mean "fan base".

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Perhaps Apple might consider dumbing down the iPhone 4 ads, (yes, even more).

Something like....."Oooooo Shiny......".

"shiny, and can be held with only two fingers.....No really! only hold them with twp fingers!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Red, this is Madison Avenue we're talking. You know, the land where fact and fantasy are mutually exclusive. The only finger that need be discussed is the one all iPhone owners should be holding up to show their "solidarity" with the views and opinions of Mr Jobs.

OK, if you insist, the proper way to hold an iPhone is this; grasp the phone between the index and the ring finger. This leaves the middle finger pointed in an upright and locked position. Have someone take a photo of this; 1, for future reference, so you'll know how to hold the iPhone 5 and won't have to be retrained, and 2; you'll always have you middle finger, "locked and loaded", so to speak, ever at the ready to be brought into play, in the inevitable brush with Apple customer service.