IBM announces world's "fastest" computer chip

By on September 6, 2010, 5:03 PM
IBM has announced what it claims is the world's fastest microprocessor chip. The z196 is an enterprise grade quad-core part that boasts 1.4 billion transistors on a 512-square millimeter surface and can handle 50 billion instructions per second. Clocked at 5.2GHz, we're sure many hardcore overclockers have seen their own chips operate at similar or even higher speeds, but IBM's new chip doesn't require any complicated cooling to achieve this.

The chip was manufactured using IBM’s 45 nanometer SOI processor and embedded DRAM (eDRAM) technology. It is expected to power the latest iteration of IBM's mainframe, the zEnterprise 196, in which the company has invested $1.5 billion in research and development over the past three years. The IBM zEnterprise System offers 60% more capacity than its predecessor, the System z10, and can process roughly 17,000 times more instructions than IBM's Model 91 from 1970.

As Engadget notes, Fujitsu's Venus CPU is said to handle a staggering 128 billion calculations per second. That chip won't be ready for supercomputers in a while, though, whereas IBM's z196 will ship to mainframe customers starting on September 10.

wow!!! i have the MSI U100 Series laptop with a 0.99GB RAM and thats not good enough for me thats why i'm upgrading my RAM, but my laptop can only handal 3.5GB RAM at the most witch is so upsetting because i want one of those chips and mines a DDR2 witch is even worse, so if you are reading this comment and are lucky enough to get one ...... then you are one lucky son of ......... i'm not going to finish that.

KG363 KG363 said:

I actually have the fastest computer chip but I'm hiding it and it's all mine and no one else's

what the-...

it may be fast but can it run Crysis?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I hope it can't defeat itself at Tic Tac Toe.

Lurker101 said:

So if the stock speed will be 5.2GHz, what will it be able to do on LN2?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Does anybody understand this?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

captaincranky said:

Does anybody understand this?

There was a guy who wandered past the house the other day seemingly talking to his invisible friend....he said the same thing guest did....hmmm....I think maybe the mother ship is on its way.

grvalderrama said:

What are the applications for this processor?

All of them! ...It's even got half the amount of power required to efficiently run IE6.

Leeky Leeky said:

what the-...

it may be fast but can it run Crysis?

LOL, The good old can it run Crysis question....

ravisunny2 ravisunny2, TS Ambassador, said:

That guy is going to keep wandering.

The mothership left more than 200 years ago.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You have a slight technical misunderstanding, to which I say, "let there be light"!

IE"6" (Internet Explorer 6 (six), has very modest hardware requirements. However, the malware that you download with it, is what actually pushes up CPU usage to about 129%..

The mothership left more than 200 years ago.

You sound almost bitter....

Easy enough to get the chip, just take $2million to IBM and buy the mainframe that this is designed for. Does NOT run in a PC of any make!!

ravisunny2 ravisunny2, TS Ambassador, said:

You sound almost bitter....

Not at all. Missed your last chance.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Guests know best... and my computer runs a 2GB Processor with 3.21GHz of RAM.

Leeky Leeky said:

my computer runs a 2GB Processor

Does it?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Leeky said:

my computer runs a 2GB Processor

Does it?

You didnt read the full comment, eh? It was a joke.

Leeky Leeky said:

Don't worry, I was being witty, I knew what you put.. lol.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Now where do they put the mem-sistors?

Man, technology is still growing exponentially... almost like its self evolving through our hands or something. (crazy guy here)