IBM announces world's "fastest" computer chip

Jos

Staff

IBM has announced what it claims is the world's fastest microprocessor chip. The z196 is an enterprise grade quad-core part that boasts 1.4 billion transistors on a 512-square millimeter surface and can handle 50 billion instructions per second. Clocked at 5.2GHz, we're sure many hardcore overclockers have seen their own chips operate at similar or even higher speeds, but IBM's new chip doesn't require any complicated cooling to achieve this.

The chip was manufactured using IBM’s 45 nanometer SOI processor and embedded DRAM (eDRAM) technology. It is expected to power the latest iteration of IBM's mainframe, the zEnterprise 196, in which the company has invested $1.5 billion in research and development over the past three years. The IBM zEnterprise System offers 60% more capacity than its predecessor, the System z10, and can process roughly 17,000 times more instructions than IBM's Model 91 from 1970.

As Engadget notes, Fujitsu's Venus CPU is said to handle a staggering 128 billion calculations per second. That chip won't be ready for supercomputers in a while, though, whereas IBM's z196 will ship to mainframe customers starting on September 10.

Permalink to story.

wow!!! i have the MSI U100 Series laptop with a 0.99GB RAM and thats not good enough for me thats why i'm upgrading my RAM, but my laptop can only handal 3.5GB RAM at the most witch is so upsetting because i want one of those chips and mines a DDR2 witch is even worse, so if you are reading this comment and are lucky enough to get one ...... then you are one lucky son of ......... i'm not going to finish that.

I actually have the fastest computer chip but I'm hiding it and it's all mine and no one else's

wow!!! i have the MSI U100 Series laptop with a 0.99GB RAM and thats not good enough for me thats why i'm upgrading my RAM, but my laptop can only handal 3.5GB RAM at the most witch is so upsetting because i want one of those chips and mines a DDR2 witch is even worse, so if you are reading this comment and are lucky enough to get one ...... then you are one lucky son of ......... i'm not going to finish that.
Does anybody understand this?

captaincranky said:
Does anybody understand this?

There was a guy who wandered past the house the other day seemingly talking to his invisible friend....he said the same thing guest did....hmmm....I think maybe the mother ship is on its way.

All of them! ...It's even got half the amount of power required to efficiently run IE6.

There was a guy who wandered past the house the other day seemingly talking to his invisible friend....he said the same thing guest did....hmmm....I think maybe the mother ship is on its way.

That guy is going to keep wandering.

The mothership left more than 200 years ago. ;)

You have a slight technical misunderstanding, to which I say, "let there be light"!
All of them! ...It's even got half the amount of power required to efficiently run IE6.
IE"6" (Internet Explorer 6 (six), has very modest hardware requirements. However, the malware that you download with it, is what actually pushes up CPU usage to about 129%..
The mothership left more than 200 years ago. ;)
You sound almost bitter....:rolleyes:

Easy enough to get the chip, just take $2million to IBM and buy the mainframe that this is designed for. Does NOT run in a PC of any make!!

Now where do they put the mem-sistors?

Man, technology is still growing exponentially... almost like its self evolving through our hands or something. (crazy guy here)

Back