Microsoft confirms Windows Phone 7 launch date

By on October 4, 2010, 8:30 AM
Microsoft has announced it will officially launch its next generation mobile operating system, Windows Phone 7, next week on October 11th. New York City has been chosen as the stage for the gathering, which will also bring along ‘an exclusive’ array of T-Mobile phones powered by the new platform. Curiously, no mention of AT&T was made, even though the carrier was widely believed to be a launch partner in the U.S. with devices such as the HTC Mondrian, LG Optimus 7 and Samsung Cetus. Whether the latter will have a presence at the show as well remains to be seen. [Update: Turns out both AT&T and T-Mobile will show off their Windows Phone 7 handsets at the event]

The event marks a fresh restart for Microsoft’s mobile platform and will be critical to stop the rapid market share bleeding it has been experiencing. Over the past few years, many of Microsoft's customers have left for iPhone, BlackBerry or Android devices, while several key partners have dropped Windows Mobile altogether in favor of more modern alternatives – Motorola being one of the more prominent examples. As far as new devices are concerned on T-Mobile’s front, the carrier is expected to announce the HTC HD7 and their version of the LG Optimus 7.

fwilliams said:

Make sure you go out and buy one right away! Do not wait until the first service pack. Microsoft needs your support and your money to make this work.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've been using WinMo for a while now (Tytn, Tytn II, i900) ...... generally it has served me well for what I need to do, but frankly it has been showing its age for a while now. So, hopefully, they are bringing something fresh and useful which may compel me to ditch the good old i900 and get something new.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Wow, I'm so excited to see this released!

Oh wait, nevermind, that was just a little gas.

Its because you are full of hot air.

Oh, Microsoft, you never learn, do you?

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I actually have a Samsung I637 the "Jack" and it came with WM 6.5, and frankly I loved it. Can't think of anything wrong to say about windows mobile, haven't had any issue so far and look forward for windows phone 7, I hope there is an upgrade or something like that =)