What do you think of the first Windows Phone 7 ads?

By on October 12, 2010, 9:45 AM
With Windows Phone 7 officially announced now, Microsoft is starting to push its marketing campaign forward. Two early versions of the ads leaked last month (we thought they were a refreshing take on the world's obsession with mobile) but now the official ones are out, and we're curious about what you think.

The first one is completely new, while the second one seems to be a slightly modified version of one of the leaked ones. We've embedded them below:

The message seems to be that users have their faces glued to their current smartphones and Windows Phone 7 will save us from this phenomenon. The implication is that Microsoft's latest mobile OS is designed so that you can simply "glance and go" without having to embarrass yourself in public like with current "stand and stare" phones.

Microsoft's marketing department isn't the best at new advertising campaigns. Every once in a while, however, they have hit home run. Is this one of those times?

I think it's very nice advertising, I laugh at the second one !

The second one is awesome, better than any Apple ad.

The second one is awesome. Really funny, and some nice truths shown there.

the ad is funny, but the message not believable, and ultimately, just ironic.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

I didn't make it past the first one without getting bored after the first 10 seconds...but the second one got my attention. Loved it.

The ads, well, contradict the very functionalities the OS plans to make easier. Stupidity plus irony is what could best describe the marketing strategy of these ads.

All I see is a bunch of people who are glued to their myface account (intentional misnomer) and can't pay attention to the simple motor skills required to move about their normal lives, of which they no longer have. How does this show me Windows Phone 7 is good? This is a stupid ad, for stupid people... I'm sorry, but it just is.

Ok the second one was somewhat clever... but I still stick to the first one being stupid.

nothing ironic about it, the windows phone OS gives updates on the start screen, no need to poke and prod your phone like apple and android.

I liked both but I like the first one cause the music was cool...if i was changing channels i would stop just cause of the song.

obviously 'drinking the kool-aid'

fwilliams said:

that is what microsoft needs, more kool-aid drinkers. make sure you buy a WP7 as soon as they hit the shelves, do not wait for copy/paste or reviews.

oh come on.. not ironic ? what could possibly not be ironic about a phone saving people from their phones ? that is the definition of irony.

treetops treetops said:

There were phones in those adds?

You've... never really used an android phone, have you?

I haven't studied WP7, but the utility escapes me. If I can more easily discover updates, isn't that likely to drive me to see WHAT each update included? Now, instead of checking "MyFace" or Email when it's convenient for ME, I'm going to immediately see, "Oh a new post, new mail, new whatever." and have a strong desire to find out the specifics. More interruptions, less life.

It appears they got it exactly wrong. (Why isn't that a surprise?)