Galaxy S passes iPhone in Japan, gets Wi-Fi Direct certified

By on November 4, 2010, 2:12 PM
Samsung's Galaxy S was the best selling phone in Japan last week, knocking the 32GB iPhone out of the top spot for the first time in 18 weeks, according to The Chosunilbo. The data comes from Japanese market researcher BCN.

The 16GB model of the iPhone was the third best selling phone in Japan, so the iPhone as a whole is still likely outselling the Android-based Galaxy S. It was the first week the Galaxy S was available so it's hard to say whether the sales are due to initial excitement for something new or if it's a sign of things to come. Nevertheless, it's a huge success for Samsung, and Google, as it means the Android device is becoming the "phone to have" in Japan and not simply just another iPhone alternative.

In related news, the Galaxy S smartphone is now listed as the first device to get Wi-Fi Direct certification, according to the Wi-Fi Alliance (via Zats Not Funny!. Since Wi-Fi Direct is largely software based, many recent devices are upgradeable; certification can be applied retroactively, so all we have to do now is wait for Samsung to release the appropriate firmware upgrade.

Samsung is expecting to sell more than 40 million smartphones worldwide in 2011, according to Nikkei, which cited a senior official at the South Korean company. That is double the projection for the current year, which has been increased from 18 million to 20 million units.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

This news just makes me happy knowing i went with a Galaxy S (Fascinate) over the DroidX.... I just wish Verizon would release the freaking 2.2 update already!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Haha! Apple finally has some serious competition Although I have a funny feeling the next iPhone will be radically different in order to compete.

Leeky Leeky said:

Having signal to make and recieve calls would be a radically positive direction to take....

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Leeky said:

Zing!

Jibberish18 said:

How do the Japanese feel about GPS issues, because as far as I know, those are still very apparent in these phones.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

All variants of the Galaxy S have had the GPS issue patched except for the facsinate (huge surprise there) which I have, one of the big reasons I'm anticipating the 2.2 update. God I hate Verizon sometimes. some people claim they have no issue at all, so I'm not sure what to think about that, all I know is my wife and I have issues with it...

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Good work, more power to the Android platform

Jibberish18 said:

Thing is, apparently even after patches, apparently there are still issues with GPS. I believe the WinPhone7 Samsung phone had GPS issues as well. At this point I think it all leads to hardware. As for people saying they don't have issue with it, one guy told me "Mine seems fine. I get GPS signal within 1-2 minutes". Come on. 1-2 minutes? Maybe on a cloudy, rain stormy day under your garage but not normally. So I don't trust what people think.

kazarm said:

This is god news since android is more open than iPhone.

When that is said I find both the Galaxy S and the iPhone too big to be comfortable.

A mobile phone should fit easily into your pocket. If it is bigger I would go for a 7 or 10" tablet.

jankovicgood said:

I loved the Japan-only phones, they were so tech advanced in their time, seems they are now just buying phones that the rest of us use.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i would go with the droid x over the samsung s series thats just my opinion though since i have used the Moto droid i love it and my buddy has the at&t samsung phone which looks amazing but i still like the Droid X over the samsung models. I love the fact that now apple my have something to think about since before they were probably just counting money and not paying attention Go android.

Actually, in weekly sales during its own *launch week*, the Samsung still failed to top the iPhone 4 (32gb + 16gb versions combined) a phone that has been available for almost 5 months in Japan.

The Samsung has an SD card slot for storage expansion so it is still classed as the one phone model even if sold with different amounts of storage unlike the iPhone which is split up into the two models by Japanese market researcher BCN from whom these figures origniate.

This does not sound like a phone that is dominating despite the attempt at spin by those reporting these figures.

In the most recent quarter in Japan, MM Research Institute reports that the iPhone captured an astounding 60% of the smartphone market, but an even more astonishing 7% of the general cell phone market. This compares with the Worldwide picture, where the iPhone has captured a still amazing 4.3% of the general cell phone market according to Gartner, double the 2% that Apple managed last year.

Year on year in Japan, iPhone sales doubled so the story is certainly not over and Samsung has a long way to go yet.

-Mart

Emil said:

My friend says the GPS issues were fixed for him after he updated to Froyo.

speeedy6 said:

It's so hard to buy a new phone because I know a few weeks later a better one will show up for the same price. Grrr.... I'll just have to suck it up and do it eventually.

aj_the_kidd said:

I dont use the GPS that often on my SGS so its not a deal breaker or even a concern

dlen said:

Great phone. I probably will buy this phone before Xmas.

bam13 said:

finally thereĀ's a decent competitor to iPhone...keep on good work Samsung!

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't like or dislike the OS it is being sold with, but the phone itself is brilliant; now that the GPS issue has been fixed; I think it probably is a better option than iphone.

edison5do said:

Again... good finally competition.... means better phones at good prices to come.!

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I don't own a smart phone - but I have played with both the Galaxy S and several iPhones and I have to say I prefer the Galaxy S. I love the screen on that phone .

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Arr sorry for double post.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I didn't planned this when I started the day, but I ended up having to buy a replacement for my i900, as I screwed up its screen ...... anyway, so from all the options (mins WP7 as no phone with it is available atm) I ended up choosing GT-i9000

gobbybobby said:

The phone does look very nice and the reviews have been very good. Good to see people have finally stopped buying the overpriced child laboured Iphone.

spyx said:

Not very surprisin I dont think that the japanese like Syeve Jobs that much,,,,,or any major "Western" producer thats wy the DS and PS do so well there and the xbox isnt so much

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

spyx, that isn't about simply the japanese, frankly iphone sometime seems to be one hit wonder for apple in mobile arena, they haven't bettered it by much; whereas, the competition has been constantly improving their offerings; it was obvious that at some point in time iphone will start to suffer; I wouldn't write off apple because they have proved that they can reinvent themselves; but if they want to remain ahead of the competition there will come a time when they have to reconsider and reform their business practices and subsequent product they offer.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

By the way guys, have they launched Froyo update for this set ?

limpangel limpangel said:

Archean said:

By the way guys, have they launched Froyo update for this set ?

I think it will get the update this november. At least according to Engadget.

hitech0101 said:

Well do i have a galaxy 5 & am happy with it seems samsung has some great smartphones to compete with the iphone.They do offer a lot of variety so guess apple has serious competition.

ALKING said:

AND THAT PHONE IS SWEET

ruzveh said:

How will this firmware upgrade work with Samsung as it is the job of Android to implement it