It's back: LimeWire Pirate Edition debuts

By on November 9, 2010, 10:59 AM
Less than a month after being shut down, LimeWire has been resurrected by an anonymous team. Despite the fact its creators had to close their doors due to copyright law infringements, the Gnutella-based file-sharing client is now back under a new name: LimeWire Pirate Edition (LPE). It is currently only available for Windows.

"On October 26 the remaining LimeWire developers were forced to shut down the company's servers and modify remote settings in the filesharing client to try to harm the Gnutella network," an anonymous source told TorrentFreak. "They were then laid off. Shortly after, a horde of piratical monkeys climbed aboard the abandoned ship, mended its sails, polished its cannons, and released it free to the community."

LPE, which is based on the latest LimeWire 5.6 beta (released earlier this year, before LimeWire's demise), is now circulating on various download sites. Furthermore, it has been improved: the Ask toolbar has been unbundled, dependencies on LimeWire LLC's servers have been removed, remote settings have been disabled, and all the features of LimeWire Pro have been switched on for free. All adware, spyware, and advertising has been removed.

After a four-year suit brought on by the RIAA on behalf of eight major music publishers, LimeWire was officially shutdown late last month. Federal Judge Kimba Wood found the company, LimeWire LLC, and its founder, Mark Gordon, guilty of assisting users in committing copyright infringement on a "massive scale." Damages expected to total at least $1 billion will be assessed when the case resumes in January 2011.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

i really don't think anyone should use this. it you have the money to buy these games, music, movies then buy them. but if you can barely afford to put food on the table then go grab a torrent or two, but when you do have the money, buy the games, music, movies you like.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Limewire pirate edition, now with twice the viruses!! lol seriously though, does anybody use limewire anymore?

Bluemagma said:

i never stopped using emule lol

TwiztidSef said:

1 Billion seems like a little much. There is no way that the Limewire creators made that much off it.

I believe all they accomplished, in shutting down limewire, was making its client open source. With cleaner installations and possible a cleaner community, it may become a good pirate software again. I remember the older version of limewire having issues. Especially with the bittorrent client in it.

lchu12 lchu12 said:

No surprise, saw this coming after the shutdown annoucement.

taea00 said:

Wow that didn't take long did it? Now that they "shut it down" it appears to have become more powerful than they could imagine! Bravo to the team that got this up and running. The music and movie business is I'm sure wasting more money fighting these things and bankrupting people and businesses. They really need to get creative and find new sources of revenue and quit blaming everyone else for them putting out crappy music and movies.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

One would think that if you already have a potential $1 billion dollar settlement hanging over your head, you'd leave well enough alone.

There's no reason to pirate any longer unless you're just a jerk who continues to insist that you're something special in this world and should get everything for free. You can buy songs for as cheap as .89 a copy from a variety of sources, Steam has regular sales for games that were once $50 and are now $8.00, you can rent a movie from a Red Box for a lousy buck. I routinely see Blu-Ray DVD sales for $8.99 now.

AbsolutGaloot said:

HAH! they shut it down and only succeeded in making it better. When will they learn that this kind of stuff can not be stopped?

Demons said:

That's all we need is another portal for malware and viruses in trade for some free pirated music... pay for music people... it's not that expensive!

thedrelle said:

Ouch. Another massive lawsuit against piracy. man, it never ends.

think as long as people can justify piracy, it will continue to happen. distribution will always be available so long as ther eis someone willing to use it.

Jibberish18 said:

Demons said:

I remember this one time my dad brought home one of his employees desktop computers for me to look at because it "wasn't running right". I ran McAfee VirusScan and found more than 1000 threats on it. All files seemed to be downloaded from Limewire. I was amazed. It was a record for me.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is comical.

Cryptopsy said:

No dude! I mean, if you really like an artist, you are going to buy his album. But if you only want to listen to new stuff, discover music, artists, songs... its way better to get it for free! If NOBODY EVER download ANY songs for free, nobody will know these songs and ever listen to it.

For example, i'd rather download an album, listen to this particular artist, see if I like it, and if I really like it, i'll definitely go buy the album.

IMO, Music is free for everyone. You better share it for free, get known, than running after your pennies. Listenening is free, sharing is free, you like it - buy & support it.

That's my opinion

Cryptopsy said:

And... limewire is safe when you know how to use it. Its not limewire which is not safe, its the file sharing in general.

Example: someone who try to download 'michael jackson', the results will come out with a thousand of results. For a poor dumb stupid reason, some person believe that the 16kb Michael Jackson.exe file is good! Whats wrong with you? 16kb & .exe isnt a song... and you better watch how much person has the file too, there's result with more than 30 person tagged on the file, these results are more trustable than the 16kb - .exe one with 1owner.

bleeeehh

Mushroom said:

TomSEA said:All the previous pirating excuses (and that's all they were) are no longer relevant.

So because I lost 1 of 4 CDs to a game that I can prove I own means I should buy the game again? No thank you.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Don't lose the CD to your game. Problem solved.

DokkRokken said:

It's like it's 2003 all over again! I recall searching for Linkin Park when I was merely a sprat, and coming across about a dozen different versions of spelling, and file formats. Those were the days. Now I'm wealthier, so I can buy my music, and smarter, because I don't listen to Linkin Park anymore!

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Well that shows those who tried to shut them down... Rebellion!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Mushroom said:

Or call the game publishers and ask for another to be sent out? I have a friend who lost his Crysis Disc, was pissed off and spoke to someone and they used his license key to give him a download version, they used the DRM system so if he ever found his disc it wouldn't be usable.

At the end of the day, if you've paid £40+ on a game (license, since at the end of the day thats what you pay for) I would expect them to support me.

Some people don't seem to realise you don't actually need a justification for piracy. Some people are going to have moral qualms about it, others (probably the majority) won't. You can argue why piracy is wrong and evil all you want, but ultimately morality is a subjective argument, not a physical constant. The facts are the Internet, p2p, DRM cracking, all exist and thus far combating it with legal and technological measures has proven completely futile and a waste of resources on the part of copyright holders.

If industry really want to maximise profits then they need to concentrate on boosting sales through competitive pricing and availability (considering piracy a competitor rather than something they can just make go away - they can't), and accept the fact that things will never ever go back to how they were pre-Internet, when they held strong control over their IP.

tonylukac said:

Be sure to not allow your players to look for album art when playing. Get a better firewall. This is how they determine where you are. WMP fail.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

TomSEA said:

Such a good post until this sentence.

Unfortunately, as some others here have hinted at, its DRM thats the relevant and justifiable excuse for downloading modified or backup copies of your purchased content. From companies taking down licensing servers to limiting resale to restricting device access, there's many forms of DRM that prevent everyone from LEGALLY using their purchased products that can only be resolved by DRM circumvented products.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Care to elaborate? I don't believe audio cds contain album art, so if you rip your own CD (or even before you do) WMP is going to go fetch the album art for you. It will get album art whether you feed it mp3s or a real cd (or a burned one). So unless I'm missing something I don't see how 'the man' is going to track you based on what album art you get.

KG363 KG363 said:

This is hilarious

sMILEY4ever said:

Lol. Why would any1 want to ress this?

omega00 said:

This, I worry, will fuel a resurgence of infected computers, which hurts everyone. Most of us who visit TechSpot are savvy enough to update our anti-virus software and don't randomly download stuff from shady websites. However, most computer users aren't like us. They probably have an outdated antivirus program, or no antivirus program at all.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I bet this has even more spyware and trojans than before.

Puiu Puiu said:

It's not surprising that it appeared on the web again.

BTW is it just me or does the 1b $ fine seem a bit too much? It's not like they even have close to that amount to pay them.

Eddo22 said:

TomSEA said:

..or if you can't stand the greedy higherups.

compu4 said:

You can never stop pirates.

I find it quite ironic that the pirated version is the version with no viruses, Lol.

treetops treetops said:

Limewire has always been full of viruses, I have not used it in years and will never use it again.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

Agreed. I don't see this as an issue at all. I just updated my entire music collection through MediaMonkey album art.

I will let you know if I get busted....

Now on to Limewire. I've always found this software, along with emule and others to be so riddled with virii that I haven't bothered to use them.

Mushroom said:

TomSEA said:

Don't lose the CD to your game. Problem solved.

Not a very smart one, but funny.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Virus after Virus from the original Limewire... I can't imagine how 'sick' this Limewire is going to be; oh wait, very.

I will stick to other means of attaining data.

ruzveh said:

Along with free stuffs comes good blessings

vangrat said:

I am of two minds about this. First off, pirating leads to drugs, drugs lead to aliens, aliens lead to probing...where was I going with this?? Oh yes Pirates are bad because they probe...wait that isn't right?!

I use torrents to do the following:

A. Download shows that are already free in the states that I cannot watch because I am not in the states.

B. See A.

Other than that I don't have much reason to "pirate" per se. However, the lengths the ACCC go to stop people pirating only make them look like the fools they are. By "shutting down" limewire, all that has been accomplished is a better tool to download content from...wow brilliant piece of work. Maybe we should shut down Microsoft, and see an open source, more stable, less prone to BSODs Windows!

Some of us are willing to pay but we can not get the opportunity. Nobody thinks anybody in Africa can buy anything. So every store 'is not available in your region' so you want the music, buy the whole album at 20 dollars just to get the one song you like, or just pirate.

anguis said:

omega00 said:

A resurgence? No, because personal computers are not infected any more than they were last year. Many viruses come from simple web surfing. P2P is not responsible for that. Whether or not a new LimeWire is released, won't make people any more or any less stupid.

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The fact that people have still been using LimeWire up until shutdown is hilarious.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sadly... I have bought games but only multiplayers, the ones you can squish every cent (In my case chilean peso) out of fun (Which I do download a... mmm... "demo" , but I would never consider buying a single player game, for that I have minesweeper and freecell.

How would you consider buying a $50-$60 game where you play alone, have no multiplayer whatsoever, and end up trashing to play counter-strike 1.6?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

While I'm against piracy, I love it how these guys flaunt it in the edition's name.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Kibaruk said:

There are quite a few answers to that.

First of all, for some people it's not a huge amount of money. Many people regularly pay this for a meal at a restaurant, or to see a ballgame, or several times that to see their beloved singer perform. So they're willing to pay a huge sum for a couple of hours of entertainment but not $50-60 for quite a lot of hours of a game's campaign?

Even if you can justly say that you're not buying the games because you can't afford them, that's still not a reason to pirate it. Make do with the games that you like (such as multiplayer) or those that cost less. It's possible to have quite a bit of fun with games that cost little or nothing.

And lastly, the $50-60 price is only for people who need to play the game when it comes out. Wait a little and the price will drop.

buttus said:

Limewire SUCKS. I know so many people that used their paid service and still got loads of infections. Better to leave it dead.

zogo said:

Limewire is not worth to resurrect. It's full of crap. There are far superior programs to use. So this is ridiculous

Hi there, I am a guest here ....I read alot of comments on how laughable it is to still use limewire..

I am not very good with Comps, and dont spend much time on them but I like finding old music that isnt available any longer. I used Limewire because it had the music and it was on my computer since I bought it. I dont mind paying for music or even a monthly service (provided it has what I am looking for.

Can you (in the know) fellows suggest some better sites to use for music downloads.???

HEEELP!

I never got a virus from LimeWire and have used it for years. While I get the issue the MPAA or the record industry has with file sharing, often, I use limewire to find a song for my kid, like "Witch Doctor" because she heard the version on the Chipmunks. I'm not buying a CD of "Witch Doctor" for her to hear. I'm not buying a version of most of the songs I play for her or listen to once. Also, many of the songs I've d/l I owned on tape or record. In the other instance, I've used it to listen to songs by artists I heard a snippet from.

Limewire hasn't cost anyone any money from me. If I couldn't get it free, I don't get it. I bought the U2 CDs that come out. My kid has the DVDs for just about every Disney movie that comes out. We rent Star Wars from the library for a $1.

For the artists, it might be better free. The music gets out, they tour. Skip the record company contract.

This seems to be more about sticking it to the man.

Anyone with any brains dumped limewire years ago.

Only noobs use it.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

A couple of sites I find great for music.

www.grooveshark.com

www.pandora.com

You can't download from them, but they're free, legal and should have what you want.

255juan said:

Now that is just funny!!! But saw it coming