Developer of The Witcher 2 plans to hunt pirates

By on November 23, 2010, 4:43 PM
Pirates may want to think twice about torrenting The Witcher 2 when it arrives next May. CD Projekt is fed up with illegal file sharers and already plans to pursue folks that download illegitimate copies of the forthcoming RPG. The developer has hired a legal firm and "torrent sneaking companies" to hunt pirates. Those caught downloading illicit versions of the game could receive a letter demanding they pay a fine or face legal repercussions.

The company didn't mention how much it'd expect gamers pay for torrenting copies of The Witcher 2. However, CD Projekt says it doesn't want to be as harsh as outfits in the US that use a similar approach to attack pirates -- presumably referring to the US Copyright Group, which represents various small-time films, including The Hurt Locker and Far Cry. That particular firm often demands pirates shell out between $1,500 and $2,500.

It's worth noting that while many PC games now ship with some type of online authentication, The Witcher 2 is a DRM-free offline single player game making it particularly easy for pirates to download and get the full experience free of charge. This compares to say, StarCraft II, which recently set a piracy record for total data downloaded (15.77PB), but requires a constant connection to Battle.net to access achievements and multiplayer.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I admit, I lol'ed.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

i will be pre ordering this game on steam this weekend.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Yeah they should have focused their efforts on the game and not chasing people that were never going to pay for it anyway. Hope they didn't spend much on their legal team as I don't think there scary letters are going to bring home the dough.

As long as they don't want an unfair ammount of money they are in their right.

princeton princeton said:

[-Steve-] said:

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Considering the availability, say nothing of cost, of software in Poland when these guys were growing up, I'd be willing to bet they copied a few disks between themselves.

fwilliams said:

I do not understand why they do not use serial numbers for the software tied to some random user information they enter when they install the product. That way if multiple serial codes are used at the same time only the one that knows the information could use it. If the serial number database does not contain some random user information it is not an active and will not work. Another way to prove your the owner is that when you are sent the serial number you will also be sent a 5 character string 5 containing an alpha numeric code in a separate email.

DokkRokken said:

First, people say one of the reasons they pirate software is because they oppose DRM. So a developer decides (rightly) that DRM is nasty stuff, and yet those same people will just pirate it anyways. Pirates are cheapskates; they just make up 'moral' excuses for their wanting something for nothing.

That's why CD Projekt is wasting time and resources on going after the freeloaders. This is probably more a publicity move than anything else. And as mentioned above, I'm sure these guys have creatively 'borrowed' software too. I'll likely be buying the game after it debuts, and am happy that I won't have to worry about any DRM nannying me.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"Unlike someone named tomSEA you understand that most pirates would never buy it in the first place..."

That is the single most pathetic, childish and selfish excuse to steal there is. Congratulations on showing your true colors.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

Well TomSEA i can say i that i torrent every game that i think i will like and then i buy most of them, here is my steam games [link]

before i had the money to buy these games i would just torrent them.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh, so you're a hero for stealing them first and MAYBE paying for them later? Let's see your list of games you stole and NEVER paid for dustin...

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

spore, just because it had DRM

need for speed shift

Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is on my list to get

Need for Speed? Undercover, which is on my list to get

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II, which i will buy when its on steam

Lost Planet 1

im sure there is more

I do own two copies of Mass Effect 2, Dragon age, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed 1.

"Thank god steve. Unlike someone named tomSEA you understand that most pirates would never buy it in the first place and that effort should be focused on the game instead. "

There is someguy called princetod than dont understand than if you could steal bread without a punishment no one would pay to the baker. I live in a non high income country and I torrent some games, but at least I dont get angry when the people than made the games get angry about this affair.

It is scary to think about how would be the world without police or law looking how people react to this, is like, how do you want me to be fair? (sorry for the english)

princeton princeton said:

Meh the english was better than mine actually. You see here in Canada we think a bit differently than the US. We don't waste peoples tax dollars for trials relating to piracy. It's like jaywalking and speeding. We let it slide for minor cases. I would never steal bread and I never pirate games. I'm simply saying that it's a waste of time going after people who download torrents. If these companies want to make a difference, target the UPLOADERS.

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

I don't pirate. I simply was stating that your arguments are always about how piracy is the most evil thing on earth, while others focus on a worthwhile use of money. In an economic crisis it should make you wonder why these companies can spend so much money on targeting pirates, gain so little, then complain about lost money.

Johny47 said:

Good for them.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"should make you wonder why these companies can spend so much money on targeting pirates..."

Oh gosh - I'm sure the thought that they're losing millions of dollars in lost revenue after years of development and literally tens of millions invested in that development has something to do with it.

More and more PC gaming companies are banging the drum on this because they've had it with the colossal amount of theft of their products. Many have turned to console development only and might do a shitty PC port after the fact. (thanks very much thieving a-holes) as a result. PC gaming and developers have taken a helluva beating from theft and all these asinine, "I would never buy it so that entitles me to steal it" excuses make it that much worse by encouraging even more theft.

"In an economic crisis it should make you wonder why these companies can spend so much money on targeting pirates, gain so little, then complain about lost money."

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

You took it right out of context. Learn to read.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

I'll admit to this, I torrented the witcher enhanced edition. I'll also admit that I really loved the game, and when the witcher 2 comes out, I intend to buy the game, just like how I bought a lot of other titles that I loved.

It may seem like self justification, but as a student living in Australia on a limited budget, I don't really have that much money to spend on games, coupled together with the fact that games in Australia can be really expensive (Importing them from overseas turns out cheaper 99% of the time too)

Still, what I can say is that If you love the game guys, please buy it to support the developers. People who just leech the games off for free, not having purchased any in their life, are just really cheap skates and they do not realise that they're probably single handedly destroying the pc gaming scene (Ruling out online hackers of course)

I won't run judgemental stances on people who torrent games, but all I ask is that if you love the game, please buy it. Support the developers because you know they deserve it. Realise that torrenting games that deserve your money is killing the number of games that get onto the pc, so the next time you complain about a console exclusive game, while you stare at your stash of torrented games, look at yourself as you have no one else to blame.

I may seem hypocritical at this point but my 2 cents. I love the witcher and I'd hate to see it go console exclusive or something. I would kill people.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I took nothing out of context. The facts are what they are and you are engaging in double-speak (why are they spending money only to complain about losing it) to chastise companies for trying to protect their investment interests from horrific levels of theft.

Again, you are the one who is trying to defend your comments (and piracy) with the asinine, "it's OK to steal if you don't want to buy it" excuse.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Wow this really escalated quickly didn't it.

Since no one has even the slightest chance of winning this online keyboard fight or the million just like it on forums all around the world wide web, we need a better means to vent/fight and argue or as some gentlemen might say discuss.

One of these developers needs to come up with a virtual reality octagon where all battles no matter how big or small can be settled there Now that would be way more fun for the participants and the spectators.

Anyway as you were...

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

How about StarCraft 2?

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Yeah that's not a bad proposal but I am still leaning towards virtual reality with pain mode enabled

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

Yes, you did. If you would have quoted the whole thing your post wouldn't have made sense. That's taking out of context. Read past that part and you see that I went on to say that they should be like us and target UPLOADERS.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

"Guess what, princeton, if there wasn't any theft - or even a minimal amount of theft - they wouldn't be doing this. "

Of course they wouldn't Tom. Everyone knows business' are known for never taking advantage of customers.

Princeton is also correct. Why would you target the downloaders? That is like arresting junkies but letting the pushers go free. What real progress have they made in the last 10 years?

Starcraft II was downloaded how many times? Yet Blizzard remains one of the richest game companies.

I have yet to see any proof how piracy has ACTUALLY hurt the gaming industry. These companies that make half a billion dollar profit and cry that piracy is hurting them are full of sh*t. The issue is not about piracy, it is about greed.

The creator of Minecraft (btw a really successful game) shared his views on piracy. He said "If someone pirates Minecraft instead of buying it, it means I've lost some "potential" revenue. Not actual revenue, as I can never go into debt by people pirating the game too much, but I might've made even more if that person had bought the game instead. But what if that person likes that game, talks about it to his or her friends, and then I manage to convince three of them to buy the game? I'd make three actual sales instead of blocking out the potentially missed sale of the original person which never cost me any money in the first case."

[link]

Did you see that..He cannot go into debt because he has not lost "actual revenue" He may not be happy is someone pirates his game BUT he is not losing ANYTHING. In fact he claims that the word of mouth may actually let him profit more.

Tha General Tha General, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Release the game with a price for 29.99 and well you wouldn't have too worry about too many downloaders. But put the price at 50 and above , well the problems will start.

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I totally agree with Tha General, i remember reading about some kind of proposed bill that would make video games $40. that would be a great way to combat piracy. especially when alot of games only have a 4-5 hour single player. There has to be a majority of gamers who want a good solid single player and is not interested in multiplayer. Why not release a game with just a single player mode at like $30 and then an add on or stand-alone downloadable/CD multiplayer for an extra $30.

This is all quite funny when you think about it. Hey let advertise the fact that they are cracking down on piracy and post it on a site where people go to see how a game is developing. They would catch a lot more people if they hunted pirates without advertising the fact that they are going to be looking for them. And as for their threat, it kinda makes me want to acquire it now that they told us that it's pissing them off. ^^

n00bzZy said:

As long as they make a fine enough game, I personally can't find a reason not to buy it, especially if it will be available on Steam. Maybe they should focus their efforts on refining the game instead of making making useless statements.

mailpup mailpup said:

But why would they bother to buy the game when they could pirate the game just as easily as the first guy who told them about it? I don't understand that logic.

hassaan said:

Absurd! I guess people at the helm of Witcher 2 development are either naive or stupid. There will always be a better developer / programmer out there in the world that can circumvent the process. Its like virus-antivirus or David-Goliath story for that matter.

PS. I think I got carried away

isamuelson isamuelson said:

It's amazing how so many try to justify pirating a game.

Have I done it in the past? Yes because I was young and stupid. I have since grown up and refuse to accept that it was ever justified.

fimbles fimbles said:

I hope they have a lot of paper to print those nasty letters on.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

spore, just because it had DRM

need for speed shift

Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is on my list to get

Need for Speed? Undercover, which is on my list to get

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II, which i will buy when its on steam

Lost Planet 1

im sure there is more

I do own two copies of Mass Effect 2, Dragon age, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed 1.

Oh, and just because Spore had DRM that makes it right?

As for CDProjekt doing what they are doing, bravo to them for NOT putting in DRM. They DID have DRM in the original game, but later released a patch that removed it. And of course, these are the same people who bring us DRM-free games via Good 'Ol Games, so all in all, I'm pleased with them and find no issue with what they want to do. They have every right to do so. They wrote the program, it's theirs, period. You are buying license to play the game. In the end, the people that actually own the IP rights to the program are the developers and company that distributes it.

I guess when you write a fantastic program in the future and you sell it, you won't get mad when they pirate it? I mean, because apparently "they" own it right?

You're full of it and you know it. Don't even TRY to justify your stealing the game. It's what you did, period and it doesn't make it right not matter HOW intrusive the DRM might have been.

If you don't like the DRM, don't buy the software. It's what I've done with Assassin's Creed II. I refuse to purchase and install it (and the latest Splinter Cell) and I won't pirate it either.

No excuse you come up with will justify pirating software.

edison5do said:

dustin_ds3000 said:

spore, just because it had DRM

need for speed shift

Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is on my list to get

Need for Speed™ Undercover, which is on my list to get

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II, which i will buy when its on steam

Lost Planet 1

im sure there is more

I do own two copies of Mass Effect 2, Dragon age, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed 1.

DUDE, NOW ITS SUPPOSE TO BE COOL TO HAVE 2 COPIES OF A GAME!!??

Well, I dont meant to be exceptic but as I dont play this game, he could go Pirates home and kill them, thatÂ's the only way to stop that, and by pirate I dont mean the people who torrent games, I mean the people who live out of that and make money out that, STOP TRYING TO BLAME PEOPLE WHO MAYBE DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY EVERY FREAKING GAME COMES OUT. They are not the ones to blame, blame the way life is diferent for everyone, Today you are on the top, but you dont know if tomorrou youÂ'll be one of those downloading through torrent.

Why do people feel entitled to games? The developer/vendor charges too much for games or puts DRM in games therefore I'm entitled to steal these games and blame the developer. What logic is this? Using this same logic, I think computers, cars, food, everything is too darn expensive so I should be able to just take it. If you think something is too expensive or doesn't have the features or options you want don't buy it or steal it, move along to something else. Use your energy in helping others, instead of selfish ego based desires.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dustin_ds3000 said:

spore, just because it had DRM

need for speed shift

Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is on my list to get

Need for Speed? Undercover, which is on my list to get

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II, which i will buy when its on steam

Lost Planet 1

im sure there is more

I do own two copies of Mass Effect 2, Dragon age, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed 1.

Dude, I had respect for you when you said in the Friday Night Fragfest you've done over 1200 hours of TF2.

Now after reading your posts here. I have lost all respect for you.

There simply is no need to pirate games especially if you have the money to.

Read review's (user and proffessional) and if the game got a decent meta score its easy to say its a safe bet to buy. Play a Demo if it has one or find a friend that already owns it.

you Don't need to Pirate a game to "Test it" and even worse if you have Pirated it just because its not on Steam! Go buy the disc orsomething, its no biggie if its not on steam.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

While the Guest above me was a bit harsh he has a point. If you cannot afford games do not buy them.

a lot of people cannot afford cars yet they're not all going to go and steal one?!

Simple as that, Anyone choosing the whole "games are too expensive so i'll steal them" excuse.

ITS NOT AN EXCUSE!

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Minecraft dev example: Possibly the most level-headed view on software piracy I've ever seen, from just about anyone.

I also agree with a comment regarding going after the uploaders/seeders rather than the downloader/leechers. You are not particularly punishing the right side here; punishing the downloader won't stop the uploader from uploading software, but punishing the uploader generally makes it more difficult for the downloader to illegally access said software. Remove the enablers will help curb the behavior.

At least the Dev intends to do it themselves, rather than let some grubbing middleman.

cardriverx said:

burty117 - You cannot make that connection with stealing cars. Like in the Minecraft example, a game company DOES NOT loose money if you pirate a game that you would not have bought.

If you steal a car, then it will cost the car company for all the physical parts and manafacturing. If you pirate a game, there is none of that!

Like the guy that said he won't buy Assn Creed 2 because of the DRM. Well, why not pirate it? If you were not going to buy it anyway, the pirateing it WILL NOT loose the company ANY MONEY. Let me say that again - you are NOT taking any money out of their pockets.

Now if you pirate it just because you are cheap, then they are only looseing potential money. They didnt actually lose any physical money, just "possible" money.

I am not supporting eaither side, I am just stateing facts. BTW the monecraft quote was awesome.

ryan29121 said:

I hope they waste a crap ton of money and get no where in their search for internet pirates. Internet piracy no matter how much money you throw at it, will never slow down. Each year more and more people download things illegally.

It sucks that people download games illegally, but who cares? If you have a really good game people will buy it.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

cardriverx said:

So are you saying that the money that goes into creating a game is not the same as the money that goes into making a car?

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Darkshadoe said:

Not a good analogy at all. In the case of a junkie, they are addicted to the drug and cannot make a reasonable decision. But no matter what, even at the beginning, they chose to do something illegal.

A person downloading pirated software KNOWS it's wrong, but still chooses to do it. And in the end, whether it's a junkie or a downloader, they are BOTH breaking the law, period.

What many of us are trying to say is, no matter how you slice it, you cannot justify downloading pirated software illegally. There IS no justification in it at all. Many use "Well I want to see if it works", but that doesn't cut it.

Some would point to the Assassin's Creed 2 and Spore DRM as a way to tell companies "We don't want it!" by pirating. I think it's even more telling when you even refuse to install it at all, purchased or pirated. That's what I did. I didn't purchase AC2 and I refuse to install it period.

Also, are you really going to trust a program from some unknown person? That's how many people get infected with spyware and viruses which is another thing altogether that just makes me shake my head at.

Pirating is wrong, whether you are the uploader or the downloader. Both are doing something they know is illegal and there is no substance abuse to lay blame to in order to weasel out of something illegal.

xempler said:

In regards to downloading content from the internet.....it isn't always black and white as some make it out to be.

For example you could walk to the library and get any copy of a book for FREE.

Is that theft seeing as you never paid for the book or given money to it's author or publisher? No, it's totally legal.

Download that same book on the internet and now you're a thief.

Yeah, yeah you can argue that libraries had to legally buy the books in the first place. The same can be said for anyone who had to get an original copy to upload on the internet as well.

I just can't stand people who stand on their high pedestal and call everyone a theif just because they think they know better.

Saying that I'm not advocating dowloading free content from the internet. Pay for your software as people did work hard to develop them and if companies can't make money doing so they'll just stop all together because what's the point.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

cardriverx said:

Why not pirate it? Because it's wrong. And to say the company doesn't lose money is not exactly true. They lost the money from a potential sale which then those monies can be used to create better games in the future, etc.

I agree you cannot get rid of pirating. There are just bad people out there on both sides (downloaders and uploaders), but to justify pirating a game that you did not purchase is just wrong and it IS stealing. It's something that must be purchased yet you got it for free. You didn't steal it from a shop or straight from the company, but it's still something you've obtained without paying for it.

Oh, and those that complain it's due to prices, then what did you think is going to happen if you KEEP pirating and not buying the games? Those that are NOT familiar with the software industry must think there's no reason to charge prices for software. Well, here is what the software development life cycle is like:

Time to research and gather requirements based on users wants and needs. This can be a VERY time consuming process needing the help of various individuals: the requirements writer, the programmers and architects, the users of the software that is wanted. All those people spend hours, weeks, months gathering requirements for the software.

Next, the actual IT people have to come up with architectural designs, etc. In the case of many games these days, you also have to have story writers (many of which need to go back to writers school because they suck sometimes), programming, debugging, testing, possibly going back to get MORE requirements because maybe you've found something that just doesn't work. In that, you either revise the requirements or else, you to R&D to try and find a feasible solution. You then continue the development process, test, debug, fix the bugs, run all the tests again (to ensure your change didn't affect something else), etc. It's a cycle that requires a lot of work and effort.

Next comes the manufacturing process (which is usually pretty cheap), but still, you have to press the CDs/DVDs/whatever medium you are using. There are advertising campaigns (TV, magazine ads, etc). Those are NOT free to the company.

Due to so many moochers out there, there are also legal fees to get attorney's involved to ensure that the IP of the software is protected as well as protect the company from being sued, etc.

So, writing a game is just not programming it. It takes a LOT of individuals working together, some face-to-face, some not, in order to get an idea turned into an actual game that is released to us, the public.

So, those people do not deserve to have their work purchased? It helps fund the company releasing the game to continue to pay for ALL those individuals so that more games/software can be released.

So, there IS potential money lost. For every game that is pirated, that is one more piece of software that COULD have been purchased along with all the other legal purchases that have occurred. True, it doesn't take money away from the money they already have, but it takes away fore-casted revenue which helps keep a company in business, especially when it's the small, indie development companies.

So, pirating DOES take money away from the company, no matter how you look at it.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

xempler said:

For example you could walk to the library and get any copy of a book for FREE.

Because with the library, you have an agreement to return the book back. However, if you were to photocopy that book to keep as your own, then you've broken the law. Or worse, if you refuse to return it, then the library will charge you fines and possibly take away your library card. That is stealing because the library obtained that software through a purchase and I'm sure they have to work out an agreement with the software company, hence that's why you don't see a lot software in libraries.

Quit trying to justify pirating. It's wrong and you will lose that argument, period.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

BTW, why do you think DRM came into existence? For the very thing you are trying to condone or justify.

I like how CD Projekt gives us DRM-free games, especially the ever growing catalog they have at Good 'Ol Games.

xempler said:

isamuelson said:

xempler said:

For example you could walk to the library and get any copy of a book for FREE.

You missed my point as well I was not justify pirating because you also missed the part where I said...

xempler said:

But I guess that white moral light you like to shine into everyone's face must've blinded you too.

princeton princeton said:

isamuelson said:

Darkshadoe said:

Good job. You read NOTHING. My point wasn't to say that downloaders are in the clear. It was saying that targeting uploaders is the proper way to use anti piracy resources.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh, and just because Spore had DRM that makes it right?

Who said it was right, not me.

Now after reading your posts here. I have lost all respect for you.

There simply is no need to pirate games especially if you have the money to.

I have well over $1000 worth on games on my steam account here http://steamcommunity.com/id/dustin_ds3000 i haven't torrented a game in over an year since i have a job now. I have two copies of Mass Effect 2, Dragon age, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed 1 because one is a retail copy while the other is on steam, im not buying anymore retail games.