Microsoft introduces Xbox Live Rewards program

By on December 1, 2010, 3:51 PM
Microsoft has announced a new program that allows Xbox Live users to earn Microsoft Points by doing certain tasks via Xbox Live Rewards. Gamers can earn points, which the software giant has named as the main currency on the Xbox 360 network, for renewing their Xbox Live Gold memberships, purchasing Xbox Live Marketplace items, using the Netflix app on Xbox, taking surveys, participating in promotions, and so on.

Here's how to get started:

1. Connect your Xbox 360: think you should be recognized for your time and dedication? We do. Sign up for Xbox Live and start getting back what you put in.
  2. Join Xbox Live Rewards: It's easy, quick, and free. Join now and watch your rewards multiply - just by doing the things you already do on Xbox Live!
  3. Reap the benefits: Memership has privileges. As an Xbox Live Gold member, you get more. So stay Gold, use Xbox Live and reap in the benefits.

Many of the rewards are aimed at new users, meaning Microsoft's goal is get more users to enroll in Xbox Live, though keeping current users hooked is probably still part of the strategy. The biggest payouts come from staying enrolled.

It took Microsoft quite some time to launch the loyalty rewards program. Just last week, the Xbox 360 console turned five years old.

cardriverx said:

Me thinks its time for a new generation of consoles, I am bord of the 360 and PS3 lol.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As long as people keep buying these consoles and peripherals and the developers keep making games for them, the XBox and PS3 aren't going away anytime soon.

Which unfortunately also negatively impacts PC gaming.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

TomSEA said:

Which unfortunately also negatively impacts PC gaming.

Again with the DOOOOOOOOM Tom?

The Xbox 360 has been out for 5 or 6 years now yet they keep making PC games. I guarantee when the PC game industry crashes, you will know it.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

TomSEA said:

Which unfortunately also negatively impacts PC gaming.

Again with the DOOOOOOOOM Tom?

Chazz said:

He's talking about the visual aspect of games, I believe. The 360 and PS3 has been out for 5-6 years now with the same capabilities as day one. The PC has grown and improved but will only be able to play games that are built for half a decade old hardware.

That is negatively impacting the PC gamers. Nothing about the pc industry crashing and burning.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

What Chazz said. You been reading any recent articles about this topic lately, Dark? There have been a bunch of them, but try this one:

[link]

KG363 KG363 said:

The pc industry is crashing and burning

jk

But they are 5 years old now aren't they?

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

TomSEA said:

Which unfortunately also negatively impacts PC gaming.

Show me exactly where you mention anything about graphics in your statement. The word "graphics" is not even in your posting. You may have MENT it to be about the graphics, but you did not mention anything about that. All your post did was say that the Xbox and PS3 were "negatively impacting" the PC. Well LOTS of things impact PC gaming. What is your point? Your post came across as your usual nay-saying.

Piggy backing Chazz by saying "What Chazz said" ...Really?? lmao

yRaz yRaz said:

The pc industry is crashing and burning

jk

But they are 5 years old now aren't they?

Thats not a joke...And I have also see 16:10 monitors getting phased out, it's a bummer cause I really love 24" 1920X1200 monitors.

Chazz said:

Darkshadoe said:

Piggy backing Chazz by saying "What Chazz said" ...Really?? lmao

To me, it was absolutely clear that he was responding to the first poster.

ackack47 said:

xbox 5 years old, ps3/wii 4 years old

cardriverx said:

Yeah guys, Tom was just responding to me. Having 5 yr old consoles does negatively impact PC gaming, I agree with him. Thats part of the reason I wanna see some new hardware!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

yRaz said:

The pc industry is crashing and burning

jk

But they are 5 years old now aren't they?

I know. I breaks my heart too. I've got a 26" 1920x1200 monitor, but I can't hardly find any others for a dual/triple monitor setup anymore. Stupid "HD".

dummybait said:

darkshadoe...you sir, are a *****...

Johny47 said:

This seems like a good idea, I've always hated the microsoft points thing, I much prefer to use real currency(shows up as pounds or dollars etc) but if taking a quick survey once a week for a month will get you enough microsoft points for a gamer picture pack or something then I'll welcome it =)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dummybait said:

darkshadoe...you sir, are a *****...

Why is there never a "Like" button when you need it?

On facebook its useless, on a news site which allows commenting, its most certainly needed there!