TI intros dual-core 1.5GHz SoC for phones, tablets

By on December 8, 2010, 7:10 PM
Texas Instruments has announced its new OMAP4440 system-on-a-chip, an updated version of the OMAP4430. Designed for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, the package carries a dual-core ARM Cortex A9 processor running at speeds up to 1.5GHz (OMAP4430 tops out at 1GHz), as well as two Cortex M3 cores for offloading time-critical tasks, and a graphics engine with support for 3D video.

Naturally, you don't release new hardware without boasting speed gains, and TI does precisely that. Compared to the OMAP4430, the OMAP4440 is 33% faster at loading web pages, it packs 25% more graphics power, has double the video playback performance, and offers improved video quality in low-light conditions. The OMAP4430 tops out at 720p stereoscopic 3D, while the OMAP4440 can handle full 1080p stereoscopic 3D.

The company plans to ship samples of the OMAP4440 sometime in early 2011 and mass production is expected in the second half of the year, or around the same timeframe as Samsung's Orion. Meanwhile, OMAP4430 is already in manufacturer's hands and should appear in products around the same time the 4440 starts sampling, but we're not sure what devices plan to use the chip. Feel free to speculate in the comments.

KG363 KG363 said:

Phone processing power has exploded recently

TeamworkGuy2 said:

Yea, PC DIYers are losing out, smart phone are getting to equaling Atom based netbooks and notebooks.

Anyway, from the look of the diagram and reading the article I am guessing that this "System on a Chip" is destined for tablets, just by guess.

vangrat said:

Why do Ti-Graphing Calculators still cost the same amount as they did in the 80s?

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Yeah, I'm going to wait until I hear from NVIDIA about their Tegra 3. It was apparently "almost done" back in September.

BlindObject said:

Wait wait, you're saying my Droid 3 is going to run Crysis? YES

yowanvista yowanvista said:

mine is still at 434Mhz

mmm "high speed usb 2 otg" if that is host usb 2.0 iĀ'm throwing away my laptop

dummybait said:

And there we have it...Cell phones are now more powerful than consoles!!!! lol

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dummybait said:

And there we have it...Cell phones are now more powerful than consoles!!!! lol

You Laugh but the new black Xbox 360 uses a SoC!!!

Just time until they can get it to run cool enough and we're looking at xbox power in a phone!

Leeky Leeky said:

I'm pretty sure I'm already in the 1GHz club with my HTC Desire.

Thats plenty fast enough. lol. In fact, I genuinely feel that if it was any quicker it would reduce the usability of this phone, because it would be too fast for touch screen commands when typing numbers etc.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Dual-core processors and dedicated graphics are welcome improvements but the more important question is will these technological advances make us more productive smartphone users ?

Jibberish18 said:

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I think that all depends on the user, hardware and software. Not to mention a lot of other factors. CPU and GPU power is always important for an item, whether it be a cell phone or a video game console but eventually you're going to have to offer something different than everyone else so you're not stuck in the "more power!" game.

Still, my biggest concern with all of these upgrades is battery life. A Dual Core 1.5Ghz Out Of Order Cortex A9 is nothing if the phone it has been installed in dies within the hour.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Leeky

It does have 1GHz processor with 512MB RAM (if my memory serves me right) ....... and hell that is more than the PC I had 10-12 years ago i.e. PIII 733 with 256 MB of RAM.

Tizzlejack Tizzlejack said:

vangrat said:

So they can fund the R&D for stuff like this...

If you compare to Desktop cpu, this TI 1.5 ghz cpu for table and smart-phone is still quite long way to go as current nano-tech by contrast in progress stage. Therefore, I predict there will be 3.00 ghz cpu in less than 10 years in near future about half of the current die size run in much less power.

vangrat said:

tizzlejack said:

vangrat said:

So they can fund the R&D for stuff like this...

:P I was waiting on someone to give that answer

Leeky Leeky said:

@Leeky

My first PC was even slower... I'm not sure on the processor but it only had 1mb RAM.

I remember thinking I was so cool because I upgraded it to 2MB!

OMG, there it is!!!