Google releases stable version of Chrome 9

By on February 3, 2011, 3:08 PM
Google has released version 9 of its browser. The update brings hundreds of bug fixes as well as many features that have been available on the Chrome beta and dev channels to users interested in using Chrome's latest builds. Chrome 9 also addresses 9 security vulnerabilities in the WebKit-based browser: one rated Critical, two rated as High, and six rated as Low.

The new Chrome version includes new features such as Chrome Instant (you'll need to enable it in the Basics tab of Chrome's options), which loads frequently visited web pages as soon as the user begins to enter the URL into the address bar. WebGL, a new Web technology for bringing hardware-accelerated 3D graphics to the browser, is now supported in the stable version of Chrome. Last but not least, the Chrome Web Store is now open to all Chrome users in the US (as opposed to just beta/dev/canary channel users), and Google has added a link to the store on the New Tab page, along with two sample apps.

The latest stable build (9.0.597.84) is available now for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Those who currently have Chrome installed can use the built-in update function under the About Google Chrome menu item.

The release is light on new features because Google is no longer concerned about using version numbers to mark a significant development milestone. The search giant recently promised to accelerate the release cycle for Chrome and push out a new stable build every six weeks. Chrome 8 was actually released in just over four weeks. Apparently users don't mind these frequent releases: the browser's market share is already at 10 percent.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Did it stop supporting H.264 as a video format?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Did they add an installation directory option? That's number one on my wish list.

No. Chrome 9 still supports H.264. That's sad.

treeski treeski said:

ET3D said:

This would be a welcome addition...

Emil said:

marioestrada said:

Did it stop supporting H.264 as a video format?

I think it's as of version 10 that it's removed.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I'm using the Chrome 9 Beta on both my laptop and desktop. I remember reading on the Chromium site that the beta version is scheduled to move to version 10 around the middle of this month.

Re: installation directory

The Google Standalone Installer MSI installs to Program Files rather than a "per user" install. It's not a choice really, but it's something.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

The only problem I have with the new Chrome thus far is the fact that nobody seems to know how to access installed themes they downloaded from the web store. I was just cycling through themes thinking it'd be like Opera or Firefox where it's easy to view all your installed themes and be able to switch back and forth...boy was I wrong. So when it comes to theme installation and access, Chrome SUCK SUCKS SUCKS!!! (as you can tell, ease of customization is a VERY important factor for me, lol)

Det Det said:

matrix86, be happy with your firefox then . I guess I'm a lucky guy then when I have zero issues with Chrome/Chromium.

Leeky Leeky said:

Wow, on version 9 already, they sure aren't holding back.

Tried it for a few mins on my laptop a while back, but tbh Firefox offers everything I need in a web browser, so its very doubtful I'll change.

The last time I looked they didn't support password retrieval for Xmarks either, and thats a major thing for me with so many 16 digit randomly generated passwords.

Did they make a Master Password on it yet? That should be the critical security update.

pVk said:

hey

Hopefully it will have less treat of security