Warner Bros. starts selling movies in Apple's App Store

By on February 16, 2011, 7:01 PM
Warner Bros. has begun delivering video content to countries without access to Apple's iTunes movie store, such as China and Brazil. The studio has launched a new service that will sell films as applications through the App Store, starting with the immediate availability of The Dark Knight and Inception.

Apps for both movies are currently listed for free, but you don't get the complete film, of course. The freebie includes a five-minute preview and some sample bonus material such as photos, trivia and a soundboard. There's also some level of Twitter and Facebook integration in the "share" tab.

You can purchase the full version from inside the free application for $9.99-$11.99, which includes the full movie with subtitles in multiple languages, behind-the-scenes footage, an art gallery, and an interactive soundboard. The film can be streamed over 3G/Wi-Fi or downloaded for offline playback.

Users have responded with varying degrees of interest, but some believe Apple won't allow movies to be sold as apps for long. Citing section 2.21 of the Apple Guidelines for Developers, a commenter on 9to5mac notes: "apps that are media-only should be submitted to the iTunes store instead."

Mizzou Mizzou said:

You can pick up the Dark Knight for $9.99 on Blu-Ray from Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart to name a few. Why would you want to pay that much or more just to stream it?

princeton princeton said:

Warner needs to put more money into their animation. The last good thing they did besides superhero movies was Animaniacs and Tiny Toons. Warner is better at animation then movie making.

Screw itunes streaming, Warner and the rest of hollywood needs to put out content that's worth paying to stream.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

I love Animaniacs, they're great

princeton princeton said:

Mizzou said:

I love Animaniacs, they're great

Yah. On the note of warner releasing good stuff. Animaniacs is yet to see a DVD release of the last 24 episodes, and it's been SIX YEARS. I feel bad for downloading the episodes from the last 24 that I found but that's just asking for piracy

DokkRokken said:

Weird. Warner's been good with other animated releases like Freakazoid and Batman. I had no idea Warner has been leaving Animaniacs fans out in the cold.

aj_the_kidd said:

Freakazoid, wow that brings back memories. my fav was JLU, bit of a DC fan

Anyway back to the matter at hand the article did say it can be "downloaded for offline playback", will be interested in the size

matrix86 matrix86 said:

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO NURSE! Man...I can't believe how much adult humor was in that show, lol. It makes todays "kid" movies (like Shrek) look tame.

Anywho, it does seem odd for this to be an "App." I agree that it belongs in the iTunes store...which I don't use. My iTunes crashed once and I had to reinstall...lost ALL of the music I had!!! Probably my fault since I loaded the songs into the iTunes library (popped the CD in, let iTunes rip it). After that, haven't used it since. VLC is my friend now :P (sorry, didn't mean to turn into a rant against iTunes...let the flaming war of the fanboys begin, lol)

Lurker101 said: